• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Bang

Ultimate Member
    Feb 3, 2008
    Baltimore Co.
    Looking to purchase a semi-automatic rifle and wanted to go outside the box and not pick up a AR-15.

Was thinking about an AR-10 but I have read some issues with the reliability of some AR-10's.

Then got thinking about the M1A/M14 but I really do not know much about them. I have looked at models from Springfield and from Fulton Armory and the Fulton's look very nice but at a premium. Is the quality from Fulton that much better and are they worth the premium? Am I missing any other manufactures?

I am open to other suggestions. I would like to look at AK eventually but at this time.

E.Shell

Ultimate Member
    Feb 5, 2007
    Mid-Merlind
    I have an Armalite AR-10 and it's been 100%. I have a 20" A4 upper and a 16" A4 upper (Holy Fireballs, Batman!) and both run fine. For an optics platform, I believe the AR-10 to be a better choice than the M1A. One thing that may contribute to the rumors of reliability problems might be incorrect ammunition. Armalite is VERY adamant that milspec 7.62x51 ammo be used and that's what their rifle is designed for.

PrecisionHerd03es.jpg

I have a Springfield NM M1A and it's a great rifle. It too has been 100%. I have a Gen III mount and did try a scope. IMO, as long as the optics thing is not forced upon it, it's a great rifle and I like the feel of it better than the AR-10.

m1a01perm.jpg

I'm in the process of milling AR-10 mag catch slots in my M1A/M14 magazine collection, which will allow me to use the same mags in both rifles. :party29:

ETA: IMHO (!) most of Fulton's stuff is overrated, and thus overpriced.

JeepDriver

Self confessed gun snob
    Aug 28, 2006
    White Marsh
    M1A all the way!

standard.jpg

Ran 200 very enjoyable rounds through mine last weekend. First time with the AimPoint, loved it! Very quick, and while not as accurate, anyhting in 100 yards was dead as soon as the rifle hits your shoulder. Damn quick to use!

I forgot how much fun it was! I wish I could run 200 rds week through it, but damn 308 is expensive!

I'm in the process of milling AR-10 mag catch slots in my M1A/M14 magazine collection, which will allow me to use the same mags in both rifles.

How's that going to work is it? The tab on the back of the M1A mag needs removed to slide into the AR10 reciever. Would be nice, but it's not possible as far as I know.

E.Shell

Ultimate Member
    Feb 5, 2007
    Mid-Merlind
    . . . How's that going to work is it? The tab on the back of the M1A mag needs removed to slide into the AR10 reciever. Would be nice, but it's not possible as far as I know.
    An *Armalite* AR-10 will accept the M14 magazine, tab & all, and only lacks the small slot on the left side to receive the AR-10's mag catch. The Armalite's magwell is relieved in the back to accommodate the lug, and life is good.

The only problem with using the minimally modified M14 mag is that the bolt catch is not actuated by the M14 follower, so the last round hold-open function is lost.

Armalite sells replacement/conversion followers that will fully convert and allow an M14 mag to actuate the AR-10s hold-open feature, but then compatibility with the M1A/M14 is lost, since the Armalite follower has a small protruding, spring-loaded button that interferes with function in the M14.

The approximate copies of the AR-10, such as DPMS, use an entirely different magazine, with a flat back, and this may be what you're thinking of.

JasonMD85

Aug 16, 2006
    Those are some extremely nice looking rifles. I would love to try one of those one day, and see just how horrible the recoil 'really' is. Heard a horror story or two about .308s, but I am not entirely convinced on .223/5.56 either.. :)

E.Shell

Ultimate Member
    Feb 5, 2007
    Mid-Merlind
    Jason, recoil is quite manageable. The .223, especially in an AR-15 package, is next to nothing. Our drill instructors held the butt up against their noses and fired the M16A1 to demonstrate the manageability of the .223 in that platform (don't try this at home though). The .308 isn't bad unless from an extremely light rifle or poorly designed stock, and from either the M1A or AR-10, much of it is lessened by the semi-automatic's absorption.

The trick to managing recoil in anything is to very firmly pull the rifle back into your shoulder, to prevent it getting a running start. A loose grip will allow the rifle to develop some momentum before contacting the shoulder and there WILL be an "impact". If the shoulder and rifle butt are firmly in contact, the whole deal rolls as one unit and a "punch" is turned into a "push".

Simon Yu

Ultimate Member
    Jan 12, 2007
    Rockville
    Those are some extremely nice looking rifles. I would love to try one of those one day, and see just how horrible the recoil 'really' is. Heard a horror story or two about .308s, but I am not entirely convinced on .223/5.56 either.. :)

Speaking as a 125 lbs. 6 footish bean pole, recoil doesn't become a problem from a .308 semi-auto until your arms get fatigued if you've been firing from a standing position for a while. At which point everything kind of hurts anyway. Even then it's not a "kicking like a mule" sensation, more of a "I need to sit down for a while" thing.

DD214

Founder
    Apr 26, 2005
    St Mary's County

I just swapped the synthetic stock on my M1A for a wood stock, and the recoil was noticeably reduced. With the synthetic it was more of a sharp crack, but with the wood it feels like a firm push. I expected it to be the other way around since the synthetic has a thick rubber recoil pad whereas the wood stock has a metal butt plate. Either way, it is definitely not a shoulder killer as you may be envisioning.

trbon8r

Ultimate Member
    My standard recommendation on an M1A is to be patient and pick up an older and lightly used specimen. An older M1A with a serial number of under 100k will most likely be stuffed full of GI parts instead of reproduction cast parts. You can find great deals on used M1As from time to time.

Drmsparks

Old School Rifleman
    Jun 26, 2007
    PG county
    I just swapped the synthetic stock on my M1A for a wood stock, and the recoil was noticeably reduced. With the synthetic it was more of a sharp crack, but with the wood it feels like a firm push. I expected it to be the other way around since the synthetic has a thick rubber recoil pad whereas the wood stock has a metal butt plate. Either way, it is definitely not a shoulder killer as you may be envisioning.

Did the order from Fred's come in?

JeepDriver

Self confessed gun snob
    Aug 28, 2006
    White Marsh
    An *Armalite* AR-10 will accept the M14 magazine, tab & all, and only lacks the small slot on the left side to receive the AR-10's mag catch. The Armalite's magwell is relieved in the back to accommodate the lug, and life is good.

The only problem with using the minimally modified M14 mag is that the bolt catch is not actuated by the M14 follower, so the last round hold-open function is lost.

Armalite sells replacement/conversion followers that will fully convert and allow an M14 mag to actuate the AR-10s hold-open feature, but then compatibility with the M1A/M14 is lost, since the Armalite follower has a small protruding, spring-loaded button that interferes with function in the M14.

The approximate copies of the AR-10, such as DPMS, use an entirely different magazine, with a flat back, and this may be what you're thinking of.

Nice, we have a couple Eagle Arms (Armalite built parts) built parts guns @ work that don't have that cut out.

All the mags we ordered from Armalite have the BHO and no tab on them.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    guitarsit

Latest threads

Top Bottom