• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Kharstin

Cruffler
    Feb 15, 2012
    Baltimore, Maryland
    Hey Everyone,

I am a new member and a bit of experience owning and firing a few different types of fire arms, but I am about to make my first jump into purchasing my first "Assault Rifle" (for lack of better terms). I am wondering if fellow forum members would recommend purchasing an M4 or an AR15 as my first?

I plan to use it for target shooting, not hunting if that makes a large difference.

All suggestions and advice are greatly appreciated - thank you!

mopar92

Official MDS Court Jester
    May 5, 2011
    Taneytown
    Truly target shooting AR15 with a 20 inch barrel. For all around utility, target shooting, self defense, and just looking like a badass, M4. Technically they're the same rifle with different uppers. Buy the M4 style first and down the road buy the 20 inch upper.

midcountyg

Ultimate Member
    Mar 7, 2009
    Preston, MD
    Assuming you are referring to a 20" barrel H-bar when you say AR15, I would start there. You can buy it unregulated, and it will be a little more accurate if you plan to hone your target shooting skills. You can buy a M4 upper and collapsible stock later, if you want a more compact rifle. Now if you're idea of target shooting is 100 yards or less and you aren't trying to shoot quarter sized groups, or if you are just plinking cans, go right for the M4. The good M4 rifles out there are quite accurate, but the full size rifles do have a little advantage when going for the tightest possible groups.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    loops12

Latest threads

Top Bottom