• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Boom Boom

Hold my beer. Watch this.
    Jul 16, 2010
    Carroll
    ... and they're a heck of a lot nicer than many new bolt-action rifles costing twice the price or more. Old-school goodness.

Boom Boom

Jul 16, 2010
    Carroll
    Noob question but cash n carry correct?
    Cash and carry if bought locally. Requires a C&R FFL to ship directly to your home from AIM. Otherwise AIM must ship to a MD FFL, where you can do cash and carry plus transfer fees.

Grey_Man

Feb 25, 2010
    Fruitland
    Saw this thread, checked the website, were still in stock!

Wife: "Can you hold the baby while do something?"
    Wife gets back. Time for baby's bath.
    Finally get baby cleaned up, checked website, out of stock!
    AAHHHH!!!!
    LOl I'm trying to hold off on any new puchases until summer anyway. But man, all these deals popping up are killing me!

Boom Boom

Jul 16, 2010
    Carroll
    As far as I know, all the recent M44 and M38 imports are from MOLOT and PW Arms is the US Importer, here is a recent review of a 1945 model.

http://russian-mosin-nagant-forum.com/viewtopic.php?f=64&t=11391

I can confirm the spray-on shellac on my recent M38. There is rust in discrete areas that was re-blued over. The bore on mine was plenty dirty. Lots of black residue and copper came out. Took a few hours of patches, soaking, and more patches to get it out. The bore itself is nice enough now that it's clean. Overall, it's a good shooter, which is why I bought it. Buying these as collectibles is a mistake.

Anybody know from first-hand experience how to get the shellac off? It easily scrapes off with a fingernail but I don't want to sand it.

Chaunsey

Ultimate Member
    Nov 28, 2009
    brandywine MD
    I can confirm the spray-on shellac on my recent M38. There is rust in discrete areas that was re-blued over. The bore on mine was plenty dirty. Lots of black residue and copper came out. Took a few hours of patches, soaking, and more patches to get it out. The bore itself is nice enough now that it's clean. Overall, it's a good shooter, which is why I bought it. Buying these as collectibles is a mistake.

Anybody know from first-hand experience how to get the shellac off? It easily scrapes off with a fingernail but I don't want to sand it.

i dont see why buying them as collectibles is a mistake, they're not making any more, and they will only ever go up in value in the long run, as well some people actually like to collect mosins.

as for the shellac, denatured alcohol will dissolve it easy, just keep scrubbing it with DNR and then wiping away.

that said, shellac is the proper original finish for these rifles, even if they were re arsenaled, its still the appropriate finish.

Boom Boom

Jul 16, 2010
    Carroll
    They will go up in value as time passes. That's for sure. Most all guns do, simply as a function of inflation ignoring all other factors. The ones here are not true collectibles in that they are in average condition and crudely refurbished. I have collector's-grade Mosins, which are clearly in a different league when seen side-by-side in person.

Chaunsey

Ultimate Member
    Nov 28, 2009
    brandywine MD
    They will go up in value as time passes. That's for sure. Most all guns do, simply as a function of inflation ignoring all other factors. The ones here are not true collectibles in that they are in average condition and crudely refurbished. I have collector's-grade Mosins, which are clearly in a different league when seen side-by-side in person.

"collectors grade" is in the eye of the beholder.

for some people collectors grade means only 100% matching original k98's and yet RC k98s that are refurbished and mismatched are highly collectible.

the fact is the vast majority of mosins on the US market are refurbished at least partially, and yet most of their value today still comes from collectibility.

a few years ago, when great condition ones were readily available for rock bottom prices, they were priced based on basic shooter value.

today they are less available and the price has at least tripled and most of that is due to collectors interest.

h2u

Village Idiot
    Jul 8, 2007
    South County
    Collector's Grade is purely each individuals definition.
    There are many niches within the collecting community. Many buy refurbs that are in 100% condition, while others collect battle-scarred relics.

Buy whatever class of rifle that fits your focus and budget. I started with refurbs and moved to the higher grade collectible rifles. >MY< definition of collectible are rifles in non-refurb condition that show the patina of age and scars of use. A lot of them are quite worn and ragged, but I consider those to be of higher value than the, "pretty" rifles others may call their collector's grade. I've seen many gun guys look at rifles similar to mine and cringe at how abused they are. I just smile and think more for me! YMMV.

I will say the universal way to devalue your military surplus firearm is to, "fix" it in any way. Stripping, sanding, refinishing, rebluing, cutting, chopping, etc - are all sure fire ways to make your rifle less collectible.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    bara4033

Latest threads

Top Bottom