• Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • I read from many sources that H335 is the go-to powder for getting them to light reliably. I have on hand a good supply of Shooter's World Tactical Rifle (SWTR), which is considered to be the H335 burn rate equivalent. That being said, H335 is a flake powder and SWTR is a fine ball powder.
    My question is whether the burn rate or powder type is the bigger determining factor in getting tracers to light.
    Normally I would simply try a few out with the SWTR, but I am very limited on where I can fire tracer rounds.

outrider58

Cold Damp Spaces
    MDS Supporter
    I read from many sources that H335 is the go-to powder for getting them to light reliably. I have on hand a good supply of Shooter's World Tactical Rifle (SWTR), which is considered to be the H335 burn rate equivalent. That being said, H335 is a flake powder and SWTR is a fine ball powder.
    My question is whether the burn rate or powder type is the bigger determining factor in getting tracers to light.
    Normally I would simply try a few out with the SWTR, but I am very limited on where I can fire tracer rounds.
    If you can't get a definitive answer, I would recommend a hotter primer for the spherical, which is often recommended.

ETA: I just checked; my H335 is spherical.

Last edited:

outrider58

Cold Damp Spaces
    MDS Supporter
    The SWTR is very fine, not unlike H110/W296. I thought H335 was small flakes.
    I have a decent stash of SRMP I use in my Grendel.
    It appears to be a blend of ball(90%) and disc(10%). I'd load it as ball(spherical).

20230129_133518.jpg

mtlcafan79

Ultimate Member
    Sep 11, 2008
    PG
    H335 has no flash suppressant in it. I would assume that's why it's recommend to get tracers to light. SWTR is flash suppressed so it might not work as well. One way to find out!

Uncle Duke

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 2, 2013
    Not Far Enough from the City
    H335 is ball (spherical) powder.

"Ball" is a trademark name for Olin Corporation. Hodgdon typically uses the term "spherical". Nothing like keeping things clear as mud, right?

I have never loaded a round of tracer in my life. So sorry SG, no help with that.

To Outrider's mention though, some load data (most notably SPEER) will generally recommend a magnum primer with (typically considered harder to ignite) ball powders generally. Other industry recognized data sources do not, and will specify standard primers.

Now I wouldn't swap primers indiscriminately or interchangeably. But if you DO find that you have a problem with tracer ignition, next step may well be load redevelopment (this time working up and using a magnum primer). May prove to be worthwhile.

Rockzilla

Ultimate Member
    Feb 6, 2010
    55.751244 / 37.618423
    H335, H322 would give you the best results, tried it and they lite. Now on the other hand
    WC-844 works great, and WC-844T (for tracers). Still have quite a bit WC-844. But did do
    some testing years ago 335 / 322 worked, using them as an alternative to the 844.

WC-846 / 846T work good for 7.62 tracers

-Rock

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    lsmitty67

Latest threads

Top Bottom