• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Kharn

Ultimate Member
    Mar 9, 2008
    Hazzard County
    From the attorney general of MA:

The Massachusetts assault weapons ban mirrors the federal ban Congress allowed to expire in 2004. It prohibits the sale of specific weapons like the Colt AR-15 and AK-47 and explicitly bans “copies or duplicates” of those weapons. But gun manufacturers have taken it upon themselves to define what a “copy” or “duplicate” weapon is. They market “state compliant” copycat versions of their assault weapons to Massachusetts buyers. They sell guns without a flash suppressor or folding or telescoping stock, for example, small tweaks that do nothing to limit the lethalness of the weapon.

That will end now. On Wednesday, we are sending a directive to all gun manufacturers and dealers that makes clear that the sale of these copycat assault weapons is illegal in Massachusetts. With this directive, we will ensure we get the full protection intended when lawmakers enacted our assault weapons ban, not the watered-down version of those protections offered by gun manufacturers.

The directive specifically outlines two tests to determine what constitutes a “copy” or “duplicate” of a prohibited weapon. If a gun’s operating system is essentially the same as that of a banned weapon, or if the gun has components that are interchangeable with those of a banned weapon, it’s a “copy” or “duplicate,” and it is illegal. Assault weapons prohibited under our laws cannot be altered in any way to make their sale or possession legal in Massachusetts.

So they banned firearms by features, now if you cut off those features, it's still banned...

tkd4life

Ultimate Member
    Sep 10, 2010
    Southern Maryland
    From the attorney general of MA:

So they banned firearms by features, now if you cut off those features, it's still banned...

Yea, so they are basically saying that any semi-auto rifle made in the last 20 years is banned. Since they use the operating system as a qualifier, that makes things very interesting. For the most part, operating systems tend to be similar. Way to similar to put it up to a lawyer to argue in court.

danb

dont be a dumbass
    Feb 24, 2013
    google is your friend, I am not.
    There were Minis made with flash hiders, bayonet lugs, and folding stocks. "GB series" is their common name.

These are banned in MD "Ruger mini 14 folding stock model."

The perennial question around MD is whether when you take a regular ranch rifle (no flash hider + 1.5" longer barrel) and put a folding stock on it, you have made a more eviller scary black rifle.

Doctor_M

Certified Mad Scientist
    MDS Supporter
    By the MA AG's own admission, "features" don't change the inherent lethality of the weapon.... and of course he is correct. So 'splain to me why politicians have been so wrapped up about bayonet lugs and flash hiders, and folding stocks for the last 30 years. It has always boggled my mind. This is the same kind of logic that says it's OK to own a heavy barrel but not a standard barrel AR... or that you can't have a semi auto AK, but you are still good to go to buy an class 3 Kalashnikov.... the lack of logic hurts my head.

fidelity

piled higher and deeper
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 15, 2012
    Frederick County
    By the MA AG's own admission, "features" don't change the inherent lethality of the weapon.... and of course he is correct. So 'splain to me why politicians have been so wrapped up about bayonet lugs and flash hiders, and folding stocks for the last 30 years. It has always boggled my mind. This is the same kind of logic that says it's OK to own a heavy barrel but not a standard barrel AR... or that you can't have a semi auto AK, but you are still good to go to buy an class 3 Kalashnikov.... the lack of logic hurts my head.

A few reasons.

One, politicians are lazy. They want to give the appearance of doing something without having to do the homework of actually doing something. That's why they'll take an outdated ban list rather than think it through. They also are cynical enough to know that they're not solving anything, just faking it for their constituents.

Two, politics is also the art of compromise, so for some, even if they know the legislation won't increase safety and are doing it for the votes, they'll throw us a bone even if we are a small faction (so HBARs stay cash and carry so competitive shooters have a semiautomatic rifle platform). Politicians instinctively want to be liked and pretend they're on everyone's side.

Three, there was a brief period when pols thought outright bans might not withstand legal scrutiny.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

EL1227

R.I.P.
    Patriot Picket
    Nov 14, 2010
    so in other words the MAsshole AG doesn't care what the law says. They're just going to declare guns illegal by fiat.

hmmmm ...

Do any of the extra-lethal 'accouterments' noted in the MA law, or its interpretation by their AG look like THESE ? Seems to me that MA's AG should be focusing his efforts to protect his citizens in other areas. :sarcasm:

Attachments

• Pressure Cooker.JPG
      Pressure Cooker.JPG
      30.6 KB · Views: 981

BeoBill

Crank in the Third Row
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 3, 2013
    南馬里蘭州鮑伊
    hmmmm ...

Do any of the extra-lethal 'accouterments' noted in the MA law, or its interpretation by their AG look like THESE ? Seems to me that MA's AG should be focusing his efforts to protect his citizens in other areas. :sarcasm:

Too hard; brain cells would be dying from overwork...

TapRackBang

Cheaper Than Diamonds
    Jan 14, 2012
    Bel Air
    Looks like the answer might be bullet buttons:
    provided, however, that the term assault weapon shall not include:
    [...]
    vi. any semiautomatic rifle that cannot accept a detachable magazine that holds more than five rounds of ammunition; or

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    JackW

Latest threads

Top Bottom