• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • May 22, 2023
    Fairfax, VA
    Can anyone help me date this French model D?
    IMG_4739.jpeg

Attachments

• IMG_4740.jpeg
      IMG_4740.jpeg
      419 KB · Views: 27
    Jul 1, 2012
    It's hard to tell but it looks like it's a 4-digit serial number with a "D" prefix, which I believe is post-war. The grip is replaced, that could have helped since some later commercial ones had a Winfield Arms Co. (WAC) logo. But from an old Gunboards thread, which supports my remembries, this is a mid-50's pistol.

"The D-prefix pistols are most likely surplused from the French Customs Service (Direction générale des douanes et droits indirects (DGDDI), with the customs agents commonly called douaniers), and your pistol probably dates to the 1950s. (What does your slide legend say? -- Your pistol is from around the time the MAB D slide legend changed.)"

Jul 1, 2012
    One question would be if each agency got its own serial block starting from 1, like FN did on pre-war contracts. I highly doubt it, I can't see some of these agencies all getting 3-4k pistols. But maybe they did... There also seems to be two types of serial numbers in these low ranges, one like this (and your PM) where the s/n is "virgin" on the frame and one where the old serial was milled out and re-stamped.

Jul 1, 2012
    Also I couldn't help but read the OP's question as "Can anyone help me date this French model" and that old ad with the fat guy... :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Mikeymike88

Latest threads

Top Bottom