• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • hooligan82

Ultimate Member
    Nov 2, 2011
    Baltimore county
    While waiting for my first CMP purchase, I've been checking out YouTube videos. Today MAC posted a video on the M1 Garand and two sig rifles that I don't recall the model info of. He really seems to enjoy the garand. I can't wait for mine to arrive.

A1Uni

Ultimate Member
    Aug 28, 2012
    I have machine guns, rifles and pistols of all descriptions, and my M1 is still right up at the top of the list for pure enjoyment while shooting.

I love everything about that rifle, the look, how it functions, the ring of an empty en bloc.

Threeband

The M1 Does My Talking
    Dec 30, 2006
    Carroll County
    There is something special about the Garand: there is no other rifle quite like it. When you step up to the line with an M1 Garand, people will turn their heads and take notice. Strong men will respect you. Beautiful women will fall at your feet. The enemies of freedom will flee in dismay.

https://vimeo.com/105505143

hooligan82

Ultimate Member
    Nov 2, 2011
    Baltimore county
    I have machine guns, rifles and pistols of all descriptions, and my M1 is still right up at the top of the list for pure enjoyment while shooting.

I love everything about that rifle, the look, how it functions, the ring of an empty en bloc.
    That really says a lot about the rifle. I can't wait for mine to get here.
    There is something special about the Garand: there is no other rifle quite like it. When you step up to the line with an M1 Garand, people will turn their heads and take notice. Strong men will respect you. Beautiful women will fall at your feet. The enemies of freedom will flee in dismay.

https://vimeo.com/105505143
    I knew I made the right decision.

You load the rifle like you aren't scared of it. what range is that?

Threeband

The M1 Does My Talking
    Dec 30, 2006
    Carroll County
    Who's skeered of a little ol' Garand? Not I!

I should make another video dumping 2 or 3 or 4 clips, to show the sustained fire capability.

That's the main 100 yard range at the Associated Gun Clubs Range ("AGC"), Marriottsville.

hooligan82

Ultimate Member
    Nov 2, 2011
    Baltimore county
    You'll only ever do that once and it's easily avoidable.

No reason to be scared of a Garand unless your staring down the business end.
    If you're aware of what your doing it is a non-issue.

I hope to never be on the business end of a garand or any other firearm for that matter.

Threeband

The M1 Does My Talking
    Dec 30, 2006
    Carroll County
    I suspect Garand Thumb is about 99% myth.

When you handle the rifle, be vigorous in all your actions. Don't baby it. Be sure to lock the bolt open with a firm, vigorous pull on the op rod, with your hand curling around the op rod from below and in front (so your hand is in front of the op rod in case of that 1 in 1,000,000 slam fire). You want the bolt to lock all the way back.

If you gently and tentatively pull back on the op rod, the bolt may catch on the follower instead of locking all the way back. Then if you press on the follower (but why would you?) the bolt could slam shut on your thumb or finger. So if you're careless and fool around like a sissy, it could happen.

But if you rack that op rod like you own it, the bolt will lock open properly, and it will not release until the clip is locked in and your thumb pressure is released from the clip. You always blade your hand so that the op rod is held by the back of your hand while your thumb presses the clip all the way home. The bolt cannot release until you take your thumb away from the clip, and the back of your hand is still holding the op rod anyway.

Although it's not supposed to be necessary, most Garands still need a little nudge on the op rod to release it. You can see that quick nudge in the video. Since the heel of the hand is doing the nudge, the entire hand is well clear of the bolt as it slams shut.

Notice in the photo how the shooter blades his hand to hold the op rod while he loads the clip.

Attachments

• Loading Garand.jpg
      Loading Garand.jpg
      57.8 KB · Views: 955

rdc

Ultimate Member
    Dec 3, 2010
    Middlefingurton
    I suspect Garand Thumb is about 99% myth.

When you handle the rifle, be vigorous in all your actions. Don't baby it. Be sure to lock the bolt open with a firm, vigorous pull on the op rod, with your hand curling around the op rod from below and in front (so your hand is in front of the op rod in case of that 1 in 1,000,000 slam fire). You want the bolt to lock all the way back.

If you gently and tentatively pull back on the op rod, the bolt may catch on the follower instead of locking all the way back. Then if you press on the follower (but why would you?) the bolt could slam shut on your thumb or finger. So if you're careless and fool around like a sissy, it could happen.

But if you rack that op rod like you own it, the bolt will lock open properly, and it will not release until the clip is locked in and your thumb pressure is released from the clip. You always blade your hand so that the op rod is held by the back of your hand while your thumb presses the clip all the way home. The bolt cannot release until you take your thumb away from the clip, and the back of your hand is still holding the op rod anyway.

Although it's not supposed to be necessary, most Garands still need a little nudge on the op rod to release it. You can see that quick nudge in the video. Since the heel of the hand is doing the nudge, the entire hand is well clear of the bolt as it slams shut.

Notice in the photo how the shooter blades his hand to hold the op rod while he loads the clip.

I did it once. ONCE. It was a long time ago with a friend's Garand. He had just gotten it and it was the first time either of us had ever shot one.
    The rest of the post is 100% truth.

Threeband

The M1 Does My Talking
    Dec 30, 2006
    Carroll County
    I did it once. ONCE. It was a long time ago with a friend's Garand. He had just gotten it and it was the first time either of us had ever shot one.
    The rest of the post is 100% truth.

Do it again and video it for You Tube!

We wanna see!

You'll get a million hits!

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    tyreseveronica

Latest threads