• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • smores

Creepy-Ass Cracker
    Feb 27, 2007
    Falls Church
    9/10 - I missed the one about the first "major" use of the machine gun in battle.

I chose the Spanish-American war since the Gatling was only a new invention during the Civil War. Even the answer said that it had a "limited" role in the Civil War - I would argue that it had more impact during the Spanish-American War.

Whatever... 9/10 ain't bad though!

hole punch

Paper Target Slayer
    Sep 29, 2008
    Washington Co.
    9/10 - I missed the one about the first "major" use of the machine gun in battle.

I chose the Spanish-American war since the Gatling was only a new invention during the Civil War. Even the answer said that it had a "limited" role in the Civil War - I would argue that it had more impact during the Spanish-American War.

ditto. but i could see that whoever made this quiz really didn't research any of this very much. i had to switch into "Discovery Channel mode" and think like they do.

marlin.357

NRA Life Member, MSI, SAF
    Oct 29, 2006
    St. Mary's County
    By their definition of a "machine gun" any self-loading weapon, semi-auto, full-auto, or even a magazine fed bolt action or lever action, would be a "machine gun".

fightinbluhen51

"Quack Pot Call Honker"
    Oct 31, 2008
    7 out of 10. I didn't realise "gattling guns" were considered machine guns, but I guess that's correct.

I shoulda known the M42 as well!

novus collectus

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    May 1, 2005
    Bowie
    10/10. How 'bout something challenging?

Was Maxim a US citizen or a British citizen when he invented his machine gun?

What was the hand cranked machine gun in the Civil War.....the other hand cranked machine gun I mean. ;)

Which broomhandle Mauser copy was full auto?

What is the fastest rounds per minute machine gun and how many rounds can it fire per minute if it had enough rounds?

LostSoul

Nugget Popper
    Oct 29, 2008
    Ho Co

Exactly the reason for my 9/10.

Was Maxim a US citizen or a British citizen when he invented his machine gun?

What was the hand cranked machine gun in the Civil War.....the other hand cranked machine gun I mean. ;)

Which broomhandle Mauser copy was full auto?

What is the fastest rounds per minute machine gun and how many rounds can it fire per minute if it had enough rounds?

US citizen when he founded Vickers in the UK in 1896 or '97. Became a naturalized 'Brit a few years after that.

Ager .58 cal "coffee mill gun".

Model 712 Schnellfueur.*

Soviet/Russian GsH-6 23mm aircraft cannon, 10,000 rpm*

* I had to 'web the last two, but knew the first 2 right off the bat.

I'm skeptical of #4, since, like all multibarrel systems, it's not a "true" MG, but more like a "chain" gun. Recoil/power gasses have no role in running it - it's electrically driven.

I personally would have said the American 180 M2 dual system. Two American 180's mounted on a single stock, or the quad system on a tripod. The '180 fired 1,700 rpm, of 3,600 in dual config, or 7,200 as a quad. That's a sh!tload of .22's screaming at ya!!!

Those ARE better quiz questions, though!!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    JackW

Latest threads

Top Bottom