• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • pk64f100

Cold Dead hands
    Aug 24, 2013
    Carroll Co Md
    I keep a belt, vest and all my grab & go mags for BR (SCAR 17S) & 1911 full ready to bug-out if need be. I keep the magazines loaded and one in the firearm loaded so there is no time to be ready when need be. Questions are this:
    1. Is it an issue to keep mags loaded for storage in safe?
    2. Is there any issue keeping rounds in mag & firearm ready to go/
    3. HD shotgun- is it an issue to keep magazine / tube loaded with shells?
    4. Does this have a negative impact on the springs and mechanisms of the mags and or the firearm?

Thanks

BradMacc82

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Aug 17, 2011
    It takes you to the Search feature. ;)

Storing the mags loaded isn't an issue, it's the compression/decompression cycle that wears the springs out.

Although it can be said loading to -1 is the way to go, makes it easier to load on closed actions.

straightsilver3

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Mar 2, 2011
    everywhere
    To answer all your questions NO issues with keeping them loaded It's the constant loading and unloading that make the springs weak. I've had mags loaded for years with no issues I just down load them a few rounds so they're not maxed out

clandestine

AR-15 Savant
    Oct 13, 2008
    Elkton, MD
    As said, no issues keeping Mags loaded, ASSUMING you are using a QUALITY STEEL or ALUMINUM Body Magazine.

If you are using a Polymer Magazine like a PMAG the Feed Lips can widen over time, so be sure to use the "Dust Cover". Widened Feel Lips can lead to double feeds.

Personally I keep ALL of my magazines loaded for every firearm I own. I download them all by 2 rounds. Its not done because of some irrational fear of wearing out a spring, its done to allow easier seating of a magazine with a firearm with the Slide/Bolt when its closed (Admin or Tactical Reload)

pk64f100

Cold Dead hands
    Aug 24, 2013
    Carroll Co Md
    Thanks Everyone!

Thanks for your time and info, it is much apreciated. Somer may think I am paranoid, I like to think that I am prepared for whatever takes place. When things happen they usually happen very quickly the less things one has to grab the better.

thanks again and have a great day!

sailskidrive

Legalize the Constitution
    Oct 16, 2011
    Route 27
    The SCAR mags are steel and are really well made, I doubt you would experience any issues with the feed lips spreading. I personally had a LR308 mag that I stored loaded for about a year without the cover and the lips opened up.

BradMacc82

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Aug 17, 2011
    Heh, I left 2 Pmag's loaded with 10 rounds of .50Beo over night, it spread like butter. The other spread as well with the cover on it.

Had to literally rip the one out of the magwell.

Lesson learned, don't leave Pmag's loaded with the Beo rounds in them, dust cover on or not.

Capt Skup

Ultimate Member
    Feb 29, 2012
    Calvert County
    Just be sure to use quality magazines. I have found out that ProMags are not ones that I will leave loaded. Have had no issues with Ruger factory mags for the mini-14s or the MagPuls for the ARs.

sailskidrive

Legalize the Constitution
    Oct 16, 2011
    Route 27
    God was punishing you for using an obscure cartridge in an AR.

;)

Heh, I left 2 Pmag's loaded with 10 rounds of .50Beo over night, it spread like butter. The other spread as well with the cover on it.

Had to literally rip the one out of the magwell.

Lesson learned, don't leave Pmag's loaded with the Beo rounds in them, dust cover on or not.

SCARCQB

Get Opp my rawn, Plick!
    Jun 25, 2008
    Undisclosed location
    for ARs... I keep the mags loaded with 27 rounds, use only mil spec aluminum mags , good factory loaded ammo. i store them in a climate controlled site.. Like in my bedroom closet.

My gLock mags.... i keep them fully loaded, I also rotate defensive ammo annually.

No issues..... I found a 17 year old fully loaded mag in my old Army Footlocker.. AK mag, it fed reliably. No issues. Did have an old HK USP mag that I misplaced for years... That failed to lock the slide back after the last round. Replaced the spring and its good as new

I m old school and do not use Pmags as much.

clandestine

AR-15 Savant
    Oct 13, 2008
    Elkton, MD
    I know I wont convince anyone, but for the sake of exchanging information, I believe from experience, that MUCH of the AR15/M16's rap for bad reliability is because of USGI Magazines, and Improper/Poor Maintenance. The Latter applies to not just the Weapon itself but the Magazines as well.

Magazines are a Perishable item.

jrumann59

DILLIGAF
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 17, 2011
    I know I wont convince anyone, but for the sake of exchanging information, I believe from experience, that MUCH of the AR15/M16's rap for bad reliability is because of USGI Magazines, and Improper/Poor Maintenance. The Latter applies to not just the Weapon itself but the Magazines as well.

Magazines are a Perishable item.

I spray the inside of all my mags with silicon spray and work the spring up and down to "absorb" the silicon. The only AR mags I keep loaded are P-Mags with dust covers. I also use my mags at least once before I decide the duty it gets. Many of IMI mags are range mags since some do not drop free on empty

armed ferret

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Sep 23, 2008
    McDoogal's
    silicon or silicone?

silicone is a lubricant.

silicon is basically sand.

if you're spraying the insides of your magazines with sand to increase reliability, you need to shop for mags somewhere else.

Semper Noctem

Desk Rabbit
    Aug 9, 2011
    Fairfax, VA
    Not only that, but I was under the impression that you want to keep your mags somewhat free of oil because the oil can seep into the cartridge and ruin the powder.

Am I wrong?

jrumann59

DILLIGAF
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 17, 2011
    silicon or silicone?

silicone is a lubricant.

silicon is basically sand.

if you're spraying the insides of your magazines with sand to increase reliability, you need to shop for mags somewhere else.

HAHA

Yeah silicone :D

jrumann59

DILLIGAF
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 17, 2011
    Not only that, but I was under the impression that you want to keep your mags somewhat free of oil because the oil can seep into the cartridge and ruin the powder.

Am I wrong?

Silicone is a dry lubricant, it sprays in wet and then dries and leaves a lubricating film on the parts.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Charles of the Manor

Latest threads

Top Bottom