• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • iH8DemLibz

When All Else Fails.
    Apr 1, 2013
    Libtardistan
    I wouldn't hesitate to use them.

Just start with minimum load data and work up.

You could even subtract 10% from the minimum it would make you feel safer.

ihriec

Aug 10, 2013
    I've read that it's not a good practice to use magnum primers in 9mm, since it is a higher pressure caliber.

Traveler

Lighten up Francis
    Jan 18, 2013
    AA County
    I've read that it's not a good practice to use magnum primers in 9mm, since it is a higher pressure caliber.

This ^^

I have never seen a reloading manual call for magnum primers in 9mm.

I know, we have some here that just love to mix and match primers. I like my face and fingers more than that.

There is only a 3% chance you will have gruesome pictures to post here if you do, give or take a finger.

atblis

Ultimate Member
    May 23, 2010
    I personally wouldn't hesitate to use the CCI 550s in a moderate published load in the 9x19.

Magnumite

Ultimate Member
    Dec 17, 2007
    Harford County, Maryland
    Not all loads need to be spec pressure loads. Mine were fairly mild, which is why I tried those primers in 9mm. As always, chop the load 10% or begin with starting charges when changing components.
    I was actually hesitant trying magnum primers since Bullseye is such a fast powder. But my experience is it is a stable powder. I knew magnum primers are sometimes for cold weather loads and the intended load was mild. I thought the pressures would be safe. The load was mild so I loaded a handful and test fired 'em. No abnormal pressure signs, fairly mild recoil and report. GTG...

Armadillofz1

Ultimate Member
    Mar 25, 2012
    DM-42
    My training loads are middle of the road. .44 of PB under a 115g pill. I'll cook up 10 and try them out. Thanks.

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    Somewhere online there used to be a test between different brands and standard and magnum primers.

In some cases, switching from standard to magnum, with a moderate load, pushed the pressures WELL above the max for the round.

IMO, if you want to use them, drop back to a minimum load and work up again.

atblis

Ultimate Member
    May 23, 2010
    I've found tests with measured pressures for magnum versus regular primers, but they were all for rifle cartridges.

This article has some interesting tid bits in it.
    http://www.shootingtimes.com/ammo/ammunition_st_mamotaip_200909/

Interesting but pretty meaningless for this discussion, I recently used CCI 550s in place of CCI 500s in 357 SIG with Longshot and 90 gr bullets. Using the max charge published for 115 gr bullets I got 1650 fps v. 1750 fps for standard v. magnum primers. The rounds with the magnum primers had noticeably less muzzle flash and more consistent velocities. As to what the pressures were, I have no idea.

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    The article I mentioned was with pistol cartridges. And with one brand, switching from regular to magnum primers jumped the pressures by something like 9000 PSI. :eek:

GlockMafia

Glock and Sig!
    Jul 4, 2015
    Hazard County
    I realized my mistake this morning...I used CCI 550s in my 40 S&W loads, luckily only 200rounds. Here's what I'm using: 165 Ranier HP with 4.7 gr of Titegroup with a COL of 1.125

Any thoughts? Hodgdon lists the max load at 5.1 gr. I'm shooting a G23 and Sig 2340...

Mike3888

Mike3888
    Feb 21, 2013
    Dundalk, Md-Mifflin,Pa
    I realized my mistake this morning...I used CCI 550s in my 40 S&W loads, luckily only 200rounds. Here's what I'm using: 165 Ranier HP with 4.7 gr of Titegroup with a COL of 1.125

Any thoughts? Hodgdon lists the max load at 5.1 gr. I'm shooting a G23 and Sig 2340...

I've done it also. Mid pack load with h-38, I think your fine.

Blacksmith101

Grumpy Old Man
    Jun 22, 2012
    Change a component work up a new load. It is simple it works and you may find a different sweet spot along the way. It is also the safe thing to do.

brianns

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 29, 2015
    Montgomery County
    Watch out with .40sw. I understand they are naturally high pressured as normally loaded. A dealer once explained to me about non fully supported chambers, etc. and if I've noticed there weren't +p rounds in .40.

Set them aside for SHTF or pull the projectiles and disassemble.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    bara4033

Latest threads

Top Bottom