• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • TI-tick

Ultimate Member
    BANNED!!!
    MDS Supporter
    It's the sound of freedom. I love the sound of a jet turbine. Sprinkle a little bit of Whop-whop-whop from a chopper and I'm in the zone.

I went to elementary school at Shaw AFB SC in the 70's where the noise of flight's of F-4's taking off would cause the teacher to pause until the volume decreased. In my mind that's the sound of freedom. More of a median bell curve effect; low, increasing to high, decreasing to low.

If OP experienced what I think he experienced it's more like a sudden roar/earthquake style that hits with a bang then fades. Not the norm which makes you think WTF was that.

Here's a sprinkle of fan blades::D:D:D

willtill

The Dude Abides
    MDS Supporter
    May 15, 2007
    I went to elementary school at Shaw AFB SC in the 70's where the noise of flight's of F-4's taking off would cause the teacher to pause until the volume decreased. In my mind that's the sound of freedom. More of a median bell curve effect; low, increasing to high, decreasing to low.

If OP experienced what I think he experienced it's more like a sudden roar/earthquake style that hits with a bang then fades. Not the norm which makes you think WTF was that.

Fixed that for you:

Capture.jpg

hobiecat590

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 2, 2016
    Pax River announced to the local news a noise alert that they were conducting FCLP’s. The F-35 is particularly noisy.

4 miles from Pax and it was loud! It sounded like F-35s. You should hear the roar of a F-35 in hover mode as it drifts past near your home. That rattles windows.

MTplinker

Dec 30, 2021
    Annapolis

Yeah, I went to school for a year in Saudi Arabia. The elementary school was lined up with their air base runways, and they’d blast off in silver BAE Lightnings right over us. Class always paused until the noise came down.

Recess was awesome. Very fun to watch a flight of bright silver Lightnings zorch right over you.

Mike OTDP

Ultimate Member
    Feb 12, 2008
    You should hear the roar of a F-35 in hover mode as it drifts past near your home. That rattles windows.
    Before I retired, my office was about 300 yards from the approach end of Runway 32. Tactical jets at full afterburner are loud.

JohnnyE

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 18, 2013
    MoCo
    For years I had memories of hearing sonic booms while growing up north of Chicago, but figured I was mistaken because we don't allow supersonic flight over land. Only recently did I learn that supersonic overland flights were done in the 1960's or so to test American citizens' tolerance of sonic booms. I guess it ain't much, since they're banned today. I still remember hearing the booms as a kid and getting a kick out of it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    ddsabedra

Latest threads

Top Bottom