• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Hit and Run

Ultimate Member
    Oct 15, 2010
    Prince Frederick
    Today on range my Son had a malfunction while shooting my Beretta 92 FS. A Remington factory round jammed in barrel and weapon did not finish cycle. I called range cold and took weapon from him. Slide would not move and I was sure I had a stuck live round. After putting safety on (hammer block) I used the nylon side of hammer to gently tap on recoil spring rod keeping weapon pointed down range throughout. That freed slide enough for me to move it. Next was takedown. Initially I could not move barrel out of slide. Another light but focused tap forward with brass pin on locking block freed barrel. Cartridge was stuck firmly in barrel. Inspection of cartridge confirmed it was never struck by firing pin. Using the flat blade of screw driver and minimal force I was able to free cartridge by twisting under rim. Upon inspection, cartridge was noticeable wider than normal 9mm cartridge. I went through rest of ammo box and found one more cartridge that looked abnormally large. Both went in dud can. Function tested after reassembly and switched to ammo I normally target shoot with. No issues. Any thoughts on process? I keep a screw driver in range bag, but I normally don't have nylon/brass hammer and brass punches. I had them on hand to sight in a new Henry rifle I was shooting for first time today. Might keep set in bag now.

I wouldn't call that a malfunction. Just horribly defective ammo. It's a good thing it didn't fire, because that probably would have resulted in your gun blowing up. By the way you've described it, I have to be blunt here and say you really should have inspected the ammo before loading it up.

Edit: Also, don't put that kind of ammo in the dud box. Keep it, take pictures, and send the pictures back to Remington so you can get free ammo that works.

frogman68

товарищ плачевная
    Apr 7, 2013
    don't think my wife's issue is the same as another brand of ammo did the same issue with her gun. Just for haha sakes check the lot number hers is s30 b a017

Hit and Run

Ultimate Member
    Oct 15, 2010
    Prince Frederick
    I wouldn't call that a malfunction. Just horribly defective ammo. It's a good thing it didn't fire, because that probably would have resulted in your gun blowing up. By the way you've described it, I have to be blunt here and say you really should have inspected the ammo before loading it up.

Edit: Also, don't put that kind of ammo in the dud box. Keep it, take pictures, and send the pictures back to Remington so you can get free ammo that works.

Good point, did not notice size difference when loading. I do check closer when using reloads but will now check closer when buying factory ammo.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    loops12

Latest threads

Top Bottom