• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • pk64f100

Cold Dead hands
    Aug 24, 2013
    Carroll Co Md
    The boys are out in great #ers writing them tics today; I believe the law is drivers to change lanes when cruisers are pulled over or slow down to a safe speed which is ok with me but please give some warnings not just start throwing $750 fines out to generate $$$ for O'Mlly. Thankfully I wasn't in a hurry. I am all for public safety and locking up criminals but I do not like the "QUOTA" game that these guys are forced to play in order to keep their cruisers. I heard that one Lt and two of his off men lost use of their cruisers because they were 2 short on their quota's. That really stinks there are a few good men out there that are not only into writing tics they actually serve the public, give out warnings and care about those they serve and I have great respect for all of them what a bunch of crap treating those good men like that. That Cmdr should be ashamed of himself.

pk64f100

Cold Dead hands
    Aug 24, 2013
    Carroll Co Md
    Let me say thank you to all the officers who are there for us on a daily basis keeping the world a safer place to live in. God bless all of you everyday and that you come home safely to all your families. Thanks!!!

Name Taken

Ultimate Member
    Feb 23, 2010
    Central
    Quota funny.

The law has been a law for at least a year now and has been aired on TV, bumper stickers, and local news recently.

A Lt. with a ticket quota is pretty funny as their job description in most departments has NOTHING to do with traffic enforcement.

Carry on with your misinformation. Take your ticket to court and fight your supposed in justice.

The whole idea that the money lines the police departments pockets is also funny. The amount of fines and fee's that get dismissed and reduced in court goes squarely against this logic...however I'm sure you wont believe it as everyone is out to get you not ensure the safety of the police on the side of the road as last week alone TWO Troopers were struck and sent the the hospital. Guess who pays their medical bills? The tax payers. We have a vested interest in keeping those guys safe beyond just a moral/human obligation.

StantonCree

Watch your beer
    Jan 23, 2011
    The boys are out in great #ers writing them tics today; I believe the law is drivers to change lanes when cruisers are pulled over or slow down to a safe speed which is ok with me but please give some warnings not just start throwing $750 fines out to generate $$$ for O'Mlly. Thankfully I wasn't in a hurry. I am all for public safety and locking up criminals but I do not like the "QUOTA" game that these guys are forced to play in order to keep their cruisers. I heard that one Lt and two of his off men lost use of their cruisers because they were 2 short on their quota's. That really stinks there are a few good men out there that are not only into writing tics they actually serve the public, give out warnings and care about those they serve and I have great respect for all of them what a bunch of crap treating those good men like that. That Cmdr should be ashamed of himself.

Your seriously ill informed.

Mar 31, 2011
    Frederick, MD
    I was out there snatching people up for the move over law this morning. There is a serious issue with people nearly striking ANYONE on the side of the road. And becomes a tragic incident because someone didn't care enough. Although I give everyone a warning for a first offense and educate them heavily on the subject, sometimes that gets the point across better than a ticket. Repeat offenders and people who act like I am ending their world get citations based on principal and consequence for their careless actions and carefree "F everyone else" attitude.

StantonCree

Watch your beer
    Jan 23, 2011
    For the record I haven't written and turned in a traffic ticket in well over a year now and have been selected for three separate specialized units........sort of a lateral promotion.

zoostation

, ,
    Jan 28, 2007
    Abingdon
    I don't consider the slow down and change-lane-if-possible ticket a fine. I consider it a tax on the stupid, inconsiderate, and lazy. Something our society could probably use more of.

Oh, and I also caught the part about how the lieutenant lost his "cruiser" for not writing enough tickets. :rolleyes: I laughed inappropriately.

lee2

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Oct 8, 2007
    So...as LEO's here, you're sayin' theres no quota system as far as tickets are concerned?;)

DC-W

Ultimate Member
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 23, 2013
    ️‍
    It's unfortunate such a thing has to be a law. It's been in the news for a while now and has become common practice in other states; PA comes to mind.

straightsilver3

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Mar 2, 2011
    everywhere
    I was out there snatching people up for the move over law this morning. There is a serious issue with people nearly striking ANYONE on the side of the road. And becomes a tragic incident because someone didn't care enough. Although I give everyone a warning for a first offense and educate them heavily on the subject, sometimes that gets the point across better than a ticket. Repeat offenders and people who act like I am ending their world get citations based on principal and consequence for their careless actions and carefree "F everyone else" attitude.

Right on I agree 100% with you. I'm a CDL driver If any driver is on the shoulder law enforcement or civi I move over The danger is there I could have a blow out or lost control I couldn't live with that Taking a life because I was too busy or ignorant to move over This is a good law I see everyday people driving and multi tasking Driving is serious, lets act like it.

6-Pack

NRA Life Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 17, 2013
    Carroll Co.
    When I learned to drive, I was told to always move over for a car on the side of the road. It makes sense, if a guy is changing a tire give him some room. I still do this because it's the right thing to do and I'd want someone to give me a little room if I'm on the side of the road (it happens to everyone at some point).

I think those tickets are desered. Howeve, I disagree with cops merely parking on the side of the road for the sole purpose of writing a ticket (this happens a lot in Michigan).

Mooseman

R.I.P.- Hooligan #4
    Jan 3, 2012
    Western Maryland
    I am a professional driver. Moving over when someone is on the shoulder is a common courtesy that I have always practiced. Law or not, you should move over.

Troublesbrewin

Handgunner
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 17, 2013
    Ellicott City
    It's sad that three has been a need for a law requiring common courtesy and safety. If drivers were a little considerate of one another none of this would be needed but the "me generation" has screwed things up for all generations. Get off your damned phones and drive if your behind the wheel. Try to pay attention to what you and others are doing.

pozzo

Oct 1, 2013
    This was one of the surprises when I moved here from Texas. The left lane is for passing, so moving over was never a problem, and people did it. Here, people drive in the left lane, and good luck moving over during the morning/evening commute.

For the LEOs here, what do you consider to be a safe speed when unable to move over? I'd like to be considerate, but it's tough when the roads are this crowded.

lee2

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Oct 8, 2007
    NEW ‘MOVE OVER’ LAWS TAKE EFFECT OCTOBER 1; INTENDED TO INCREASE SAFETY FOR POLICE/FIRE PERSONNEL AND BICYCLISTS

(PIKESVILLE, MD) – Maryland State Police are reminding motorists to be aware of new traffic laws taking effect October 1st that require drivers to ‘move over,’ if possible, and are aimed at increasing safety for police, fire and emergency medical services personnel working on Maryland roadsides, as well as those riding bicycles or scooters.

A new law requires drivers approaching from the rear an emergency vehicle using visual signals while stopped on a highway to, if possible, ‘make a lane change into an available lane not immediately adjacent to the emergency vehicle.’

This movement should only be done if another lane in the same direction is available and the move can be made safely and without impeding other traffic. If moving to another lane away from the stopped emergency vehicle is not possible, the law requires drivers to ‘slow to a reasonable and prudent speed that is safe for existing weather, road, and vehicular or pedestrian traffic conditions.’

The intent of the ‘move over’ law is to provide an extra barrier of safety for police officers, fire fighters, and emergency rescue personnel working along Maryland roads.

It is hoped drivers will become more aware of police and emergency workers stopped along the road and move away from them or slow down as they pass by the traffic stop or incident scene.

Under Maryland Vehicle Law, emergency vehicles are defined as:
    -Vehicles of federal, state, or local law enforcement agencies;
    -Vehicles of volunteer fire companies, rescue squads, fire departments, the Maryland Institute for Emergency Medical Services Systems, and the Maryland Fire and Rescue Institute;
    -State vehicles used in response to oil or hazardous materials spills;
    -State vehicles designated for emergency use by the Commissioner of Correction;
    -Ambulances; and
    -Special vehicles funded or provided by federal, state, or local government and used for emergency or rescue purposes in Maryland.

Violation of the ‘move over’ law is a primary offense with a fine of $110 and one point. If the violation contributes to a traffic crash, the fine is $150 and three points. If the violation contributes to a traffic crash resulting in death or serious injury, the fine is $750 and three points.

A similar law is aimed at increasing safety for bicyclists or persons operating a motor scooter, or electric personal assistive mobility device (EPAMD). This law requires drivers overtaking a bicycle, EPAMD, or motor scooter rider to pass safely at a distance of not less than three feet. Exceptions are when the conveyance operator is not obeying the law or is solely responsible for creating a clearance of less than three feet, or if the highway is not wide enough to pass the vehicle at a distance of at least three feet. Drivers must also yield the right of way to a bicycle, EPAMD, or motor scooter being operated lawfully in a designated bike lane or shoulder if the driver of the motor vehicle is about to enter or cross the bike lane or shoulder.

A violation of this law is a primary offense with a fine of $80 and one point. If the violation contributes to a traffic crash, the fine is $120 and three points.

http://www.marylandroads.com/pages/release.aspx?newsId=749

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Drake1990$

Latest threads

Top Bottom