• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Blalock

Apr 1, 2009
    Kingsville, MD
    I am going to buy 500 rounds of Freedom Munitions remanufactured tracer rounds in 5.56. The price is right but they are not marked with painted tips. I occasionally shoot at a place where there are large stockpiles of mulch. Obviously if I accidently shot a tracer into a 400 foot long mulch pile it could be disasterous. I want to mark the tips with paint but I'm not sure what kind of paint would be the best to do so. Any help would be appreciated!

guthook

Grrr.
    Apr 7, 2008
    St. Mary's
    The standard for the M856 (5.56x45 64gr tracer round) is an orange painted tip.

I asked this question a few years ago about making M855 green tip.

The simplest answer was using a small dish sponge soaked in paint and lightly pressing the tip of the finished round into the sponge, then sitting them upright in a case loading block to dry. If applied too thick, it will run or possibly throw off the balance of the bullet.

BradMacc82

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Aug 17, 2011
    It's your ammo mark it anyway you like.

^This.

Multiple methods to use for marking, guthook's mentioned method is solid.

Just be sure that whatever method/color you use, is going to be something that sticks in your mind when your loading up.

I personally don't bother with tracers myself, haven't found many that reliably light-off thru a 16" barrel.

BlackBart

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Mar 20, 2007
    Conewago, York Co. Pa.
    Id rob the wife's finger nail paint. Most airframe mechanics have used it to mark "slipmarks" on taper bolts ect, good enough to show you're not going to lose a wing or empennage so it's damn sure good enough to paint the tip of a bullet. :thumbsup: Hell, even has it's own brush! :D

nail_polish2.jpg

BradMacc82

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Aug 17, 2011
    Id rob the wife's finger nail paint. Most airframe mechanics have used it to mark "slipmarks" on taper bolts ect, good enough to show you're not going to lose a wing or empennage so it's damn sure good enough to paint the tip of a bullet. :thumbsup: Hell, even has it's own brush! :D

nail_polish2.jpg

Sparkly too. :lol2:

mikec

Ultimate Member
    Dec 1, 2007
    Off I-83
    Tracers have been traditionally either red or orange. (At least in the US) Using green paint or marker wouldn't be a good idea, someone might think they are M855 and fire them and cause issues.

BradMacc82

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Aug 17, 2011
    I liked the smell therefore I always painted the slipmarks and would promptly passout and fall overboard. :D

:lol: :lol2:

Going over just gives the guys something to do, especially if you manage to go over the netting too...

Blalock

Apr 1, 2009
    Kingsville, MD
    Thanks to those of you who actually took this seriously. I was actually looking for TYPE of paint. I've done some research and I'm going with red Testors model paint.

guthook

Grrr.
    Apr 7, 2008
    St. Mary's
    Most of my tracers have a powdery coat like a primer, but some of my M855 has a thick, green glossy appearance.

Here's a pic of some of my tracers.

tracer rounds.JPG

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    tyreseveronica

Latest threads

Top Bottom