• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • boatbod

Ultimate Member
    Nov 30, 2007
    Talbot Co
    A month or so ago a Marlin 39AS followed me home. Its a nice shooter, but appears to have a rather strange problem that's got me puzzled...

My primary reason for buying a lever gun was the ability to use a variety of .22 ammo such as CB's, shorts and other subsonic rounds for short range pest control. Obviously I wouldn't expect these to shoot to the same POI as high velocity .22LR, but what I've noticed is a very pronounced diagonal striping that's heavily dependent on projectile velocity. Lower speed ammo shoots low and left, while higher speed stuff shoots high and right. The effect is very pronounced, with as much as a 3" horizontal shift when comparing CCI Green Tag (low left) with Federal 510 (high right). Its also not just limited to those ammo types - I've seen similar results with Rem Target, SK Std+, Fed Bulk, Fed Automatch etc, etc.

The only explanation I can come up with is that the projectile must be taking a helical path in flight. My question is why, and is there anything I can do about it?

smokey

2A TEACHER
    Jan 31, 2008
    that usedta piss me off shooting my co2 pellet pistols...on a fresh cylinder they'd shoot high right and running low they'd shoot low left...didnt get it then. could just be the way the gun flexes as it's shooting??

guthook

Grrr.
    Apr 7, 2008
    St. Mary's
    My Marlin SS .22mag does a similar thing as it will group different ammo in very different places on the paper. ( But it does group. )

I chalked it up to barrel harmonics and just stuck with the best grouping ammo. I haven't given it any more thought, but now you have me curious.

boatbod

Ultimate Member
    Nov 30, 2007
    Talbot Co
    The crown doesn't look obviously damaged, but the powder residue star pattern is a little off in some areas and the chamfer doesn't looks exactly centered on the bore. Suppose I now need to figure out how to remove the mag tube so I can get the barrel in a 4-jaw for a crown job.

joppaj

Sheepdog
    Staff member
    Apr 11, 2008
    MD
    If its brand spanking new , why not contact the manufacturer, see if they will correct it for you.

Agreed. Marlin is a stand up company or at least they were before the buyout. I'd call them.

boatbod

Ultimate Member
    Nov 30, 2007
    Talbot Co
    The gun is relatively new, but has already required several tweaks to get it working to my satisfaction. Out of the box I had intermittent issues with failure to feed, failure to fire and failure to eject. By doing away with the rebounding hammer "feature", and replacing a couple of small springs, I've got the functioning pretty much perfect, which is why I'd only just started taking a look at accuracy.

If I were to send it back to Marlin, it'd probably be gone a long time and who knows what I'd end up with after getting it back. I'm also not convinced that Marlin would agree with my opinion that windage shouldn't change as a function of fps.

The other factor to consider is that fixing stuff like this can be challenging and fun! :cool:

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    tyreseveronica

Latest threads

Top Bottom