• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • GunTech

Dec 30, 2008
    Brooklyn
    Hey guys long time no post but........ i just aquired a Marlin 39A for what i think is a real good price but i just wanted to get some opinions on it (pics coming tomorrow). I bought it off a friend for $50 it was his fathers. The but cap n white plastic piece is cracked like it was dropped on it. The stock it in real good shape a little dirty but no worse for wear. The prefix on the sn is L n ive been getting different answers but its between a 1953 and 1954. So lets hear the input. :party29::party29:

Norton

NRA Endowment Member, Rifleman
    Staff member
    Admin
    May 22, 2005
    You ought to be jailed for theft ;)

Whatever it needs to be made "right", spend the money. You've got at least $300 of headroom in that gun if it's in at all good condition.

GunTech

Dec 30, 2008
    Brooklyn
    lol Really? now i feel bad lol. well theres some white stuff on the butt stock ......no big there i just wiped some of that off , and it looks like the blue is worn off the barrel but absolutly no rust at all.

GunTech

Dec 30, 2008
    Brooklyn
    wow i kinda wanna hug something.....the gun ill work....lol anyway mine has this goof site iv never seen b4. Its a redfeild but it has a really tiny hole you look thru n has a large horz and vert. flat head screws to adjust it

smokey

2A TEACHER
    Jan 31, 2008
    wow i kinda wanna hug something.....the gun ill work....lol anyway mine has this goof site iv never seen b4. Its a redfeild but it has a really tiny hole you look thru n has a large horz and vert. flat head screws to adjust it

like this?
    29202Marlin_39-3.jpg

august1410

Marcas Registradas
    Apr 10, 2009
    New Bern, NC
    Hey guys long time no post but........ i just aquired a Marlin 39A for what i think is a real good price but i just wanted to get some opinions on it (pics coming tomorrow). I bought it off a friend for $50 it was his fathers. The but cap n white plastic piece is cracked like it was dropped on it. The stock it in real good shape a little dirty but no worse for wear. The prefix on the sn is L n ive been getting different answers but its between a 1953 and 1954. So lets hear the input. :party29::party29:

For what it's worth, "L" does in fact make it a '54.:thumbsup:

Source:http://oldguns.net/sn_php/marlinlookup.php

GunTech

Dec 30, 2008
    Brooklyn
    EXACTLY like that.......so whats up with that thing lol is it factory?........n thats the first site i looked at then another said the L meant 53 so idk ima probly give marlin a call to make sure.

august1410

Marcas Registradas
    Apr 10, 2009
    New Bern, NC
    EXACTLY like that.......so whats up with that thing lol is it factory?........n thats the first site i looked at then another said the L meant 53 so idk ima probly give marlin a call to make sure.

I have found this site to be the most accurate. I have matched a few up using this site and have had some good luck.

I would check with Marlin just to be sure.

I like knowing how old my guns are since I buy a lot of used guns. Waiting on an e-mail from Mossberg as we speak.

august1410

Marcas Registradas
    Apr 10, 2009
    New Bern, NC
    Yea im the same way i just like having accurate info on my guns. What ya waiting on fron moss?

Waiting on a mfg date of my Bolt Action 16ga. I sent 'em the serial number and I am waiting on a response. I have someone's direct e-mail there, but I don't want to use it unless I have to :)

Threeband

The M1 Does My Talking
    Dec 30, 2006
    Carroll County
    That's an aperture sight. Far superior to the open (notch) sight that comes standard on the rifle.

Not only does it have fine adjustments for both windage (left/right) and elevation, but the "peep" aperture offers a quickly-aquired, precise sight picture.

This has been the prefered style for combat, hunting, and target shooting for the last century or so, although the style dates back at least to the 1500's.

I put a Lyman aperture sight on my Marlin 39A, which my father gave me for Christmas back when Ford was president.

GunTech

Dec 30, 2008
    Brooklyn
    it is a very accurate sight i took it and shot it tonight and up against my ruger 10/22 with notch sights n it preformed much better

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Scot2024

Latest threads

Top Bottom