• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • dist1646

Ultimate Member
    May 1, 2012
    Eldersburg
    With the amount of muzzle blast that comes out of a .50BMG, it doesn't surprise me that you were asked to move. To keep enough distance so that your muzzle blast is not disruptive is just consideration for other shooters. As for the range NAZI's, if you worked there full time and saw just 1/10th of the stupid things people do, you would see why they do what they do. Safety is a priority! They are responsible to see that it is a safe environment for everyone. That said, the AGC is a first rate facility. When they held the All States National Pistol Championships there, there were teams from all over the country shooting there. They really praised our range and many of them said that it is one of the very best ranges in the nation. That is high praise from top level shooters.

Darkemp

Ultimate Member
    Aug 18, 2009
    Marylandistan
    dist1646 said:
    With the amount of muzzle blast that comes out of a .50BMG, it doesn't surprise me that you were asked to move. To keep enough distance so that your muzzle blast is not disruptive is just consideration for other shooters. As for the range NAZI's, if you worked there full time and saw just 1/10th of the stupid things people do, you would see why they do what they do. Safety is a priority! They are responsible to see that it is a safe environment for everyone. That said, the AGC is a first rate facility. When they held the All States National Pistol Championships there, there were teams from all over the country shooting there. They really praised our range and many of them said that it is one of the very best ranges in the nation. That is high praise from top level shooters.

I think the majority of us like the range and RSO's. Go to any place long enough though and you're bound to have a bad experience eventually.

damifinowfish

Ultimate Member
    Dec 14, 2009
    Remulak
    You can shoot steel targets with rim fire and black powder firearms at the agc. Just read up on the rules.

They even sell them in the Barnes house.

If you bring kids have them ask the RSO if they can borrow a clanger frame!

Redcobra

Senior Shooter
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 10, 2010
    Near the Chesapeake Bay
    AGC is a great place. Never had a hassle there. I have shot my AR pretty fast and never heard a peep from the RSO. Shot my .308 with a muzzle break/deflector and no one complained. I do try to not set up next to the pea shooters. Their little poof poof shots are annoying.

ps: last time I was there for rifles, two grandpas a few benches down had the grand kids there shooting .22 for the first time. One of the kids eyed my AR said his Dad was in Afganistan and had one like that. I asked the grandpas if the kids wanted to shoot my stuff and they said OK. I loaded one round at a time for them and they shot my AR, and the older one (10) shot my Garand. Grandpas took pics to send to the Dad in Afganistan. Good time was had by all.

mcbruzdzinski

NRA Training Counselor
    Industry Partner
    Aug 28, 2007
    Catonsville MD
    So, if you feed the RSO's, they will leave you alone???

No they just remind you every time you forget to display the range badge or forget to bring a firearm to shoot at clangers!

In all seriousness, the AGC RSOs are a great bunch. It was nice to see John back on the staff!

mcbruzdzinski

NRA Training Counselor
    Industry Partner
    Aug 28, 2007
    Catonsville MD
    AGC is a great place. Never had a hassle there. I have shot my AR pretty fast and never heard a peep from the RSO. Shot my .308 with a muzzle break/deflector and no one complained. I do try to not set up next to the pea shooters. Their little poof poof shots are annoying.

ps: last time I was there for rifles, two grandpas a few benches down had the grand kids there shooting .22 for the first time. One of the kids eyed my AR said his Dad was in Afganistan and had one like that. I asked the grandpas if the kids wanted to shoot my stuff and they said OK. I loaded one round at a time for them and they shot my AR, and the older one (10) shot my Garand. Grandpas took pics to send to the Dad in Afganistan. Good time was had by all.

As I have always said, it is not the clubs, but the shooter's that make the AGC a great place to shoot.

I have been treated to shooting more firearms just by striking up a conversation and I have done the same for others. We are a friendly group!

rseymorejr

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 28, 2011
    Harford County

That's what it's all about. I was up there one day and there was a boy about 10-12 with his mother and grandfather shooting a 22. I let him shoot my AR15 and he had a ball!!

rseymorejr

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 28, 2011
    Harford County
    No they just remind you every time you forget to display the range badge or forget to bring a firearm to shoot at clangers!

In all seriousness, the AGC RSOs are a great bunch. It was nice to see John back on the staff!
    Just as well. I probably couldn't afford to feed Alex anyway.:D

I agree, they are a great bunch. They manage to keep a tight rein on safety without being jerks about it. :thumbsup:

Last edited:

50bmg

Sep 24, 2011
    Towson, MD
    about half of my experiences there were good. there are alot of nice people there. there alot of complete idiots there. (any range is like that) there were range nazis who were so strict you swear they are anti gun. when the .22 guys show up and bitch at you for shooting big bore, dont be suprised. happened probably 30% of the time. we were yelled at for shooting 30 06 and .50 bmg by the guys with the overbuilt .22 contraptions. they had the RSOs move us down a few benches. since then i havent been back. there are alot of people there who dont belong on a range for the very reason ive mentioned. elitists, unrealistic safety nazis who think guns are radioactive killing machines. i heard there has been a change in the staff since then which i sure hope is true. ive met some VERY nice people there. many people from this site actually, and they are the redeeming factor that makes me consider going back.

This just about mirrors m experience in less than a year as a member.

Generally, friendly people, however, I've had a couple just plain rude RSO responses. I get it. Factor for the lowest common denominator for safety's sake, but mutual respect is a must.

AGC is great for sighting in and plinking. If you want more, then I suggest signing up with one of the local training teams and/or 3 gun matches.

Indiana Jones

Wolverine
    Mar 18, 2011
    CCN

We were a few benches down already. I don't care if it is disruptive. Welcome to shooting. I've seen many dumb things that happen at ranges. Little wimps with overbuilt .22s whining is not a safety concern. An RSO telling me to wash my hands before I take a sip from my water is about pushing it. I know about lead. Thanks for babysitting me. Alot of people treat guns like radioactive waste, like it's somehow going to kill automatically. We got grief about our home made chamber indicators. Blaze orange. He wanted yellow, said for "range safety". Ours were really well made blatantly visible indicators. Same ******* used to give us grief. We were the quiet ones who always cleaned up after ourselves and it was purely intentional. Nobody is that mean by accident. Maybe it's changed and is a top rate range now, but before it was crotchety old elitists.

Threeband

The M1 Does My Talking
    Dec 30, 2006
    Carroll County
    We were a few benches down ...

... Maybe it's changed and is a top rate range now, but before it was crotchety old elitists.

Seriously, they ran that guy off years ago. There's really no point bringing it up anymore.

You really should try it out again- maybe come to one of the Pin shoots, or watch the machine guns.

sbmike

Ultimate Member
    Feb 19, 2011
    Almost Heaven, WV
    I've been using AGC for a couple of years now and as others have mentioned, it has been a very nice place for me to plink for a couple of hours every week or so either on the rifle range or the pistol range. Since I do use AGC on a more or less frequent basis, I've gotten to know at least a couple of the RSOs and have found them to be reasonable and polite. I suspect that folks who have had bad experiences in the past with RSOs who have long since gone are going predisposed to having some sort of run-in with an RSO or a whining shooter and respond accordingly as opposed to accepting that perhaps the RSO is just doing his/her job. The RSOs have corrected me a couple of times (not lately :), and rightly so but they've done so politely, probably because I did not immediately cop an attitude about the correction. I try very hard not to repeat the action and I move on. Just my thoughts...

relco86

Aug 6, 2011
    Moco
    As I have always said, it is not the clubs, but the shooter's that make the AGC a great place to shoot.

I have been treated to shooting more firearms just by striking up a conversation and I have done the same for others. We are a friendly group!

That good to hear!

Is the premesis open to someone like me who would want to just look around and see what the club/range was like since I dont personally know anyone who is a member?

Thanks everyone for their info... great to hear they have a good population of members and honestly I would rather have a RSO who is a bit more safety oriented then not... Even if they are a bit harsh. And I have the shortened Tank Varient of a WWII MK3 Enfield in .303 (the entire ground around 100yds shakes when its shot) so I am no stranger to obnoxiously loud guns lol.

James

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    loops12

Latest threads

Top Bottom