• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Dreamquencher

Grammar Nazgûl
    Jan 20, 2013
    Undisclosed Location, MD
    So when does Maryland close karate schools?

And now for a video of another gifted martial artist: Master Wang Haijun, 12th generation master of Chen Taijiquan, and adopted son of Grand Master Chen Zhenglei, the 11th lineal descendant of the founder of Taiji, at the 5 Mar 13 workshop at Jing Ying Institute, Arnold, MD:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=FwhqKwZsZpc

For those with short attention spans, the 18 Form begins around 52 seconds into the video.

Just so you know, our Taiji also uses swords and other weapons...so it's not just for old ladies in Beijing parks anymore:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zdjbPBSWJm4

Last edited:

mdshooter9090

Jan 29, 2013
    Don't be surprised but apparently martial arts have been banned in some Asian countries - or at least that is how I was told some dance came to be. It hard to explain in written form but turn patterns in dance look clearly like martial arts. Where does that come from?

Commie oppression, surely.

When they banned martial arts the people continued the practice but changed it up a bit and gave it a new name.

_ _ _ _ _ _

As to the wrist holds, finger and thumb holds that Steven was using - my brother is real good at that. He's usually face to face with a guy and all of a sudden the guy drops to his knees in pain. It's funny to watch.

Seen it happen to big guys, 280, 6 ft + and trained fighters.

But BJJ Brazilian jiu jitsu is said to be best, because in all fights the distance is closed quickly.

Markp

Ultimate Member
    Dec 22, 2008
    And now for a video of a real martial artist:

You know I used to think Steven Seagal was a joke, but watching him move with Andersen Silva tells me a very different story, the man can move and is dangerous. Make fun of him if you want, but he is the real deal.

Mark

lx1x

Peanut Gallery
    Apr 19, 2009
    Maryland
    You know I used to think Steven Seagal was a joke, but watching him move with Andersen Silva tells me a very different story, the man can move and is dangerous. Make fun of him if you want, but he is the real deal.

Mark

Hes good.. very good on ma. Not so much on acting.. lol

Shiznown

Mar 28, 2013

Mark

Steven Seagal great martial artist and one of the worst actors of all time.

mdshooter9090

Jan 29, 2013

Mark
    I just watch Silva being trained by Steven on Youtube, that old man can move. Fighters are like animals, they simple react - that's why in societal collapse you need .45 1911. :D

What would I know about collapse, I've not lived in a refuge camp.

Krav Maga apparently is a good skill set, too.

By the way, I think it was Steven that taught Silva the front kick that ended Vitor Belfort.

_ _ _ _ _ _ _

A year ago, I taught my wife a few arm bars and almost had my arm broken. :D

Dreamquencher

Grammar Nazgûl
    Jan 20, 2013
    Undisclosed Location, MD

echo6mike

Ultimate Member
    Feb 1, 2013
    Close to DC
    And now for a video of another gifted martial artist: Master Wang Haijun, 12th generation master of Chen Taijiquan, and adopted son of Grand Master Chen Zhenglei, the 11th lineal descendant of the founder of Taiji, at the 5 Mar 13 workshop at Jing Ying Institute, Arnold, MD:

I can vouch for Jing Ying - a buddy of mine who used to train Pencak Silat when I did under a certain very good teach (RIP, Pak Herman) went on to become a full instructor under the new head of that MA.

The point? He was a CMA student at Jing Ying and taught the Indonesian MA there as well. Did some seminars there, nice folks and a quality place.

I'm out of that particular phase any more, but they're cool over there.

Mobile

Dec 30, 2011
    I kind of wish someone would use the martial arts analogy in a gun debate.
    Information is like a gun, it can be used for good or evil.

Nobody needs to learn how to kill or maim someone with their bare hands.

Metal detectors couldn't stop a killer like this.

In fact, I some of the 9/11 hijackers took hand to hand combat lessons in preparation.

When will the government put an end to these evil murder factories that glorify violence and corrupt our children? :sad20:

Blackstar65

Ultimate Member
    Jun 27, 2010
    I have had my son in Judo and juijitsu for the last three years. But I like Wing Chun. From the movies I have seen IP Man was bad ass. Donnie Yen is a ridiculous Wing Chin practioner. I consider having my son take Akido but the school in Waldorf didn't seem to lively.

mdshooter9090

Jan 29, 2013
    I kind of wish someone would use the martial arts analogy in a gun debate.
    Information is like a gun, it can be used for good or evil.

Nobody needs to learn how to kill or maim someone with their bare hands.

Metal detectors couldn't stop a killer like this.

In fact, I some of the 9/11 hijackers took hand to hand combat lessons in preparation.

When will the government put an end to these evil murder factories that glorify violence and corrupt our children? :sad20:

Listen, they don't care. I repeat they don't care.

Their reality is non-self-preservation and they want you to join the ride. Their reality is chaos.

You can talk about them acquiescing to evil powers and in doing so eventually getting off'ed themselves by paranoid tyrannical leaders - but I repeat They Don't Care.

I love getting into the heads of older liberals, just ask them the right questions about politics or about history; they will show you their warped mind.

Shutterbug

Have camera, will travel!
    Nov 24, 2012
    AACo
    Don't be surprised but apparently martial arts have been banned in some Asian countries - or at least that is how I was told some dance came to be. It hard to explain in written form but turn patterns in dance look clearly like martial arts. Where does that come from?

Commie oppression, surely.

When they banned martial arts the people continued the practice

Oppressive rule has always sought to disarm the people, no matter what method was available. Examples:

Shaolin temples were burned and monks slaughtered when martial arts were banned in China.

Wearing of swords was banned as Japan south to modernize itself - this also led to the rise of ninjas who created their own methods to defend themselves usin farming tools, since previously only nobles could possess katanas.

Colonial Spain attempted to ban fighting arts, so villagers disguised eskrima as dances.

Even slaves brought here would practice capoeira, and their owners were not wise to the fact that the tribal dances being passed down were actually a martial art.

Since we are not allowed the use of firearms for protection, my entire family is in martial arts classes. While I don't think they will be fending off dozens of attackers anytime soon, I would much rather my wife and daughter be able to get out of a situation than comply with the bad guys. By the time my daughter is in college, she should be able to bloody a few noses.

Dal1as

Ultimate Member
    Feb 6, 2009
    But BJJ Brazilian jiu jitsu is said to be best, because in all fights the distance is closed quickly.

There is no best. It really comes down to the school, teacher, and student.

BJJ also doesn't have the patent on close in fighting and grappling. I was actually quite surprised to find how many such techniques are taught in traditional Karate. People hear Karate and automatically think flying kicks and Taekwondo which is not the case.

Also, don't forget Judo, regular jiu jitsu, and wrestling.

Waz

SHAZAM!!!
    Dec 15, 2012
    Glen Burnie-ish

BJJ is great! i trained with it for a few years but unfortunately work started to get in the way... i would love to get back into it, though

it's great for a one on one conflicts, but a lot moves leave you exposed to multiple opponents.

for straight up real self defence, i would say krav maga leads the pack. it teaches you to use your environment as a weapon:thumbsup:

coopermania

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Aug 20, 2011
    Indiana
    I have had my son in Judo and juijitsu for the last three years. But I like Wing Chun. From the movies I have seen IP Man was bad ass. Donnie Yen is a ridiculous Wing Chin practioner. I consider having my son take Akido but the school in Waldorf didn't seem to lively.

Look into Tolsons Okinawa Karate in Charlotte Hall, next to Cords Cabinets.
    Dojo 301-884-6141. Tue - Thur Evening 6:30 - 8:30.and sat mornings. Tolsen teaches
    Old school Okinawa Karate, Matsumura Shaolin Kempo. He is great with kids and his dojo is not a daycare.

echo6mike

Ultimate Member
    Feb 1, 2013
    Close to DC
    To keep the local spin on this, I'll shamelessly plug my attempt to find people to train martial arts with in Montgomery County, something it seems I'm always trying to do. I guess it's advertising, but not for anything commercial, so let me know (esteemed moderators, that's you'ns!) if it's too much: http://www.mdshooters.com/showthread.php?t=115060

And thanks for your support, to quote Bartles & Jaymes!
    :beer:

oathkeeper

Mar 16, 2013
    Google Steven Seagal Gene Lebell. Bruce Lee & Chuck Norris have both said Gene Lebell was the toughest man they knew.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    loops12

Latest threads

Top Bottom