Martini Francotte Rifle from Afghanistan: What the !?$&@! is this?

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • chooks9

Bear with Arms
    Jan 3, 2013
    Abingdon
    Just came into possession of a Martini pattern Francotte rifle that was brought back from Afghanistan (with paperwork). It's all in the white and has what looks to be a military style sight, but has receiver engraving consistent of a commercial firearm. There is a barrel band (installed what looks to be backwards) with a bayonet lug. The receiver and barrel have Belgian PV proofs, a "C. 303" stamping, and has a "Francotte Patents" stamping on the receiver, along with the script "La Francotte." A sling with homemade silk string "upgrades" make the final touches, along with a coin tacked onto the stock.

A friend with some background knowledge indicated that this gun looks to be very consistent with something that would've beer carried by a local tribesman or a Mujahideen. I'm doubtful if it being a khyber pass copy as the stamps and especially the engraving are too nice. I just wonder what exactly I have here...

Attachments

• image.jpg
      image.jpg
      114.1 KB · Views: 429

ken792

Ultimate Member
    Sep 2, 2011
    Fairfax, VA
    I looked that one over the previous show. The receiver may well be an original, since the markings are far better than any local copy. Wood looked fairly good too from what I remember. They may well just have pulled out an old gun stored away and cleaned it up to sell to Americans, which is commonly done. They think Americans want shiny, new looking guns.

chooks9

Bear with Arms
    Jan 3, 2013
    Abingdon
    I looked that one over the previous show. The receiver may well be an original, since the markings are far better than any local copy. Wood looked fairly good too from what I remember. They may well just have pulled out an old gun stored away and cleaned it up to sell to Americans, which is commonly done. They think Americans want shiny, new looking guns.

The wood is good but the forearm is slightly loose. I'm not going to mess with it as it's going to be a wallhanger. I've heard that many guns used by Afghans are purposely unfinished into the white as some sort of superstition or practice. However, somebody shining it up to sell is completely plausible to me. Whoever did it took care to not damage the engraving too much.

chooks9

Bear with Arms
    Jan 3, 2013
    Abingdon
    That rifle has probably put rounds towards brits, russians, US troops, and lots of goats.

This.

The biggest reason I even got it was because it may very well have been used to thwart invaders (Brits, Russians, Coalition, Taliban, Northern Alliance), defend tribal territory, or take down such tasty animals as the goat.

Gryphon

inveniam viam aut faciam
    Patriot Picket
    Mar 8, 2013
    Sorry thought this was the Martini thread . . . :outta her:

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    guitarsit