• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Dave Taylor

May 29, 2012
    I have a complete lack of knowledge of anything about the AR15 shooting platform, or how it is (or is not) regulated by Marylandistan.... short of a max clip limit of ten.

Springfield Armory has a recent offering called "The Saint" which is built on an AR15 platform.

Vendors won't ship "The Saint" to this #$@% state.

In what ways does Maryland regulate this firearm?

Does "The Saint" require a citizen to possess some special state license, or submit to some special state registration process?

What hoops (if any) are available to citizens of this state to jump through to purchase/own "The Saint"?

Thanks

DraKhen99

Professional Heckler
    Sep 30, 2013
    I'm no expert, but I did stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night...

I'd say that beyond the >10rd magazine, the barrel profile is what is regulated - it's not HBAR.

-John

jimbobborg

Oddball caliber fan
    Aug 2, 2010
    Northern Virginia
    The Saint has a government profile barrel. That's a big NO for Maryland residents. If it had a Heavy Barrel, designated HBAR on the barrel, or is advertised as an HBAR rifle, it's good to go. As for magazines, you can own magazines of any capacity, you just can't purchase or transfer ownership inside Maryland.

Dave Taylor

May 29, 2012
    Hmmmmm..........

I see now that the Licensing Division of the Maryland State Police have determined that "The Saint" fits as a "Copy of an enumerated banned assault weapon" and (as such) is listed as "banned" as of "11/21/2016" in the "Maryland State Police Licensing Division Reviewed Firearms List".

What's interesting is what seems an ever increasing roll played in this country by regulatory or enforcement agencies forming, and or, fashioning, and or, defining rules and regulations.

gungate

NRA Patron Member
    Apr 5, 2012
    Damascus. MD
    This is pretty simple - it is a standard AR-15 so banned. AR-15s are banned unless HBAR barrels (above), which are not even regulated.

DC-W

Ultimate Member
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 23, 2013
    ️‍
    I see now that the Licensing Division of the Maryland State Police have determined that "The Saint" fits as a "Copy of an enumerated banned assault weapon" and (as such) is listed as "banned" as of "11/21/2016" in the "Maryland State Police Licensing Division Reviewed Firearms List".

What's interesting is what seems an ever increasing roll played in this country by regulatory or enforcement agencies forming, and or, fashioning, and or, defining rules and regulations.

Well, they are law enforcement.

MD Firearm Safety Act of 2013

http://mgaleg.maryland.gov/webmga/f...on=4-301&ext=html&session=2015RS&tab=subject5

and

http://mgaleg.maryland.gov/webmga/f...on=5-101&ext=html&session=2016RS&tab=subject5

Banned by name:
    (xv) Colt AR–15, CAR–15, and all imitations except Colt AR–15 Sporter H–BAR rifle;

IANAL

Boondock Saint

Ultimate Member
    Dec 11, 2008
    White Marsh
    I've been banned?!

molon-labe_grande.jpeg

light12pdr

MDS Supporter
    Nov 6, 2015
    The non-HBAR barrel is much more scarier and lethal than the HBAR. I hate that we have to have HBAR barrel, but at least we can still have the AR platform.

300blkprs

Sergeant
    May 11, 2014
    Aberdeen Proving Ground
    I thought MD was bad about their laws when I was forced to move here until I read up on CA and NY laws. Good God, those poor people cant have anything fun. MD just seems bad as far as where you can take your guns and how they get there, I haven't had to go through the hassle of buying one here though so I cant talk too much on that. After previously being stationed in Utah, where you can literally give someone a gun for free without even asking any questions, it is definitely a strict state here.

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    Buying rifles has been simple for the past 3yrs 3mos . If you can buy it at all, it is cash and carry, or face to face private sale.

From the '90s until 2013 you had the issues of Regulated rifles vs Non-Regulated rifles.

stringer bell

Aug 20, 2014
    if you want a saint, there are two legal ways to acquire one in maryland

purchase it as a SBR. SBR's are exempt from the hbar requirment.

purchase a pistol variant if offered and file a form 1 to convert to a sbr.

stringer bell

Aug 20, 2014
    The non-HBAR barrel is much more scarier and lethal than the HBAR. I hate that we have to have HBAR barrel, but at least we can still have the AR platform.

you can have any barrel you want in md. its really not hard to fill out a form 1. its litterally 3 pieces of paper

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    bara4033

Latest threads