• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • The Saint

Black Powder Nerd/Resident Junk Collector
    BANNED!!!
    Dec 10, 2021
    Baltimore County
    No problem Jerry. Everyone agrees it's a great show and hats off to the Association for putting on such a nice show for so many years. They've improve the show every year since I've been attending (1972). In the 70's there were magazine articles about collecting old Winchesters and Marlins. The Saint has a good post about Civil war guns. Maybe now would be the time for a young collector to start buying Civil war stuff (or not?). I don't want to see this show go the way some other shows have gone.
    I hope the interest continues in old guns and history.

Only problem is that like 95% of young guys seem to be terrible at saving any substantial amount of money and never have any of it to spend...I've always been good at saving, and it's why I can do what I do...but I'm not the rule, I'm the exception to it. You said it right, though...the time to start Civil War collecting is now; it's at an all time low in demand as I can ever recall, at least in my study of price trending in my short lifetime and time collecting.

shershot99

Mar 22, 2010
    Carroll County
    Stupid question… is carry allowed at the show (or at the fairgrounds)? Also, is it better to come in off of timonium rd or the side road by the dealership? I plan to park at 7am if that’s possible. Would like to be very close to first in line for tickets.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

dontpanic

Ultimate Member
    Jul 7, 2013
    Timonium
    Stupid question… is carry allowed at the show (or at the fairgrounds)? Also, is it better to come in off of timonium rd or the side road by the dealership? I plan to park at 7am if that’s possible. Would like to be very close to first in line for tickets.

The Timonium rd entrance is the one by the dealership. And yes that is the best way in. I'm not sure when the gates actually open.

CaptainVane

Mar 4, 2023
    Perry Hall
    Seen a couple posts about post 1898 not allowed. Does that rule out reproductions like Uberti Pietta?
    I cant or want a real antique at unobtainable prices. Looking for repros and supplies.

Last edited:

ken792

Ultimate Member
    Sep 2, 2011
    Fairfax, VA
    Seen a couple posts about post 1898 not allowed. Does that rule out reproductions like Uberti Pietta?
    I cant or want a real antique at unobtainable prices. Looking for repros and supplies.
    Only for “handguns,” since they don’t allow anything post-1898 that’s legally a handgun, no exceptions for repros. I see modern repro cartridge rifles and shotguns.

Repro cap and ball revolvers and muzzleloading pistols are allowed though because they’re neither handguns nor firearms legally.

ken792

Ultimate Member
    Sep 2, 2011
    Fairfax, VA
    Now a guy in his 30's today interested in a 50 year old gun, not likely when he's saving his $$$ for a new AR build.
    The 20s-30s year old collectors dropping money on new AR builds are the largely same ones dropping money on 50 year old guns though. Prices on recent C&Rs like Colt SP1s, Browning G series FALs, HK41s, Mars import CETMEs, SIG AMTs and PE-57s, and Valmet AKs keep increasing.
    Only problem is that like 95% of young guys seem to be terrible at saving any substantial amount of money and never have any of it to spend...I've always been good at saving, and it's why I can do what I do...but I'm not the rule, I'm the exception to it. You said it right, though...the time to start Civil War collecting is now; it's at an all time low in demand as I can ever recall, at least in my study of price trending in my short lifetime and time collecting.
    Plenty of young people save thousands of dollars just fine for a KAC SR-15, H&K SP5, FN SCAR, and pre-89 collectibles. It’s not that they can’t save for original Civil War stuff, but it’s that it does not serve a collecting or shooting interest for them. Those that do want to shoot them will usually buy repros.

If the prices are trending downwards due to oversupply for the demand, then the smart time to buy, for those interested, is not now, but later.

Melnic

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 27, 2012
    HoCo
    I sold my Burnside 5th model in fine condition for $1500 with a mold and 10 pieces of brass; and that was pretty top end, IMO. I see them anywhere from 12-1500 on average condition guns; only the rare early models demand huge premiums or immaculate condition guns, which are few and far between. Rarer carbines can bring big money, but stuff like Gallagers whch are rare in every sense but not desirable sit around $1000-1200 and no one bids on em. It's a strange market...P1853 Enfields are probably around $1400 on the top end for Union issue...that's cheap IMO.

I just did not see good prices like you speak of on the P1853 like you describe
    If there is a decent shooter for $1500 there I’ll be all in on it.

The Saint

Black Powder Nerd/Resident Junk Collector
    BANNED!!!
    Dec 10, 2021
    Baltimore County
    I just did not see good prices like you speak of on the P1853 like you describe
    If there is a decent shooter for $1500 there I’ll be all in on it.

I mean, i paid about $3-400 for mine last year in what was neglected and rather shoddy condition but with an excellent bore, and brought it back from the dead without altering a single thing...just right time, right place. Now it looks fantastic, is all original finish and wood, and doesn't shoot half bad either.

Dave91

Ultimate Member
    Nov 25, 2009
    Anne Arundel
    I'm in the market for a modern production flintlock rifle (Traditions, Pedersoli, etc). Would they have stuff like that or is it mostly true antiques?

Doctor_M

Certified Mad Scientist
    MDS Supporter
    Are there specific things you guys are looking for? I usually have a couple of items that I'm keenly on the hunt for (and then wind up with a bunch of opportunistic purchases)... this year I find myself strangely without a target list. Maybe if I see a cool Remington rolling block or a .410 double barrel that isn't astronomically priced, I might take a hard look, but this will be the first time I don't have a formal 1-N list of things I'm trying to track down.

Are there specific things you guys are looking for? I usually have a couple of items that I'm keenly on the hunt for (and then wind up with a bunch of opportunistic purchases)... this year I find myself strangely without a target list. Maybe if I see a cool Remington rolling block or a .410 double barrel that isn't astronomically priced, I might take a hard look, but this will be the first time I don't have a formal 1-N list of things I'm trying to track down.

Interesting .22s

Swiss diopter sights

Would love to find a Bonehill .22 conversion Martini-Henry

Sent from my SM-T733 using Tapatalk

Last edited:

tjiann

MDS Supporter
    Jan 15, 2022
    AACo
    Civil war carbine is top of my list. Burnside preferred, but Sharps, Spencer, Maynard would be cool too. Second would be Springfield 1855, 61, or 63. But who knows. I'm just psyched for the show.

MilsurpDan

Ultimate Member
    Feb 1, 2012
    Frederick County
    I’ll be headed down in a couple hours to check out the show at set up. One of the perks about being a club member. Basically an early extra day at the show without the public there.

Would love to find a Bonehill .22 conversion Martini-Henry

I’ve got a Bonehill conversion. Very nice and excellent shooting rifle. Good luck finding one.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Scot2024

Latest threads

Top Bottom