• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • chilipeppermaniac

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Yes

You can start the application beforehand but cannot submit it until you have the class completed and finger printing done
    Hey AKBYthe...

May I ask, if one has had printing done for HQL and had the Good Housekeeping seal of approval and been issued your HQL card, will one need to get additional Fingerprinting to also get a carry permit?

Crazytrain

Certified Grump
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 8, 2007
    Sparks, MD
    I dont see the problem, I am sure you have some gun friends who will need the same. And I am sure you would do the same for them.
    Well, I do see a problem. It's less of a problem since the Bruen ruling, but still a problem.

Oddly, while I'm a gun guy my friends mostly aren't. I mostly keep to myself so my good friend list is small. Some are quite liberal. I, frankly, don't want to have the uncomfortable conversation, again (I was licensed in my old home state of Massachusetts in the past) about why I want or need to carry. Been there. It was awkward and became a thing for awhile.

Is it a right or not? So I not only still need permission from the state, I also need approval from friends and acquaintances? Yeah, I can do it, I just don't think I should have to. Still better than the old rules, but maybe I'll wait a bit and see if things clean up a bit. I'm exempt from the class at least.

Perhaps I'm just a grouch.

BurkeM

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 8, 2014
    Baltimore
    Hey AKBYthe...

May I ask, if one has had printing done for HQL and had the Good Housekeeping seal of approval and been issued your HQL card, will one need to get additional Fingerprinting to also get a carry permit?
    Because the General Assembly said so.

Smarter people get the HGP first, and never bother applying for the HQL- because it’s included (for free) with anyone who has an HGP.

MSP considers the fingerprint search of the records to have expired after 30 days, because you could have been arrested several times since then.

BurkeM

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 8, 2014
    Baltimore
    Well, I do see a problem. It's less of a problem since the Bruen ruling, but still a problem.

Oddly, while I'm a gun guy my friends mostly aren't. I mostly keep to myself so my good friend list is small. Some are quite liberal. I, frankly, don't want to have the uncomfortable conversation, again (I was licensed in my old home state of Massachusetts in the past) about why I want or need to carry. Been there. It was awkward and became a thing for awhile.

Is it a right or not? So I not only still need permission from the state, I also need approval from friends and acquaintances? Yeah, I can do it, I just don't think I should have to. Still better than the old rules, but maybe I'll wait a bit and see if things clean up a bit. I'm exempt from the class at least.

Perhaps I'm just a grouch.
    For the long haul- join a shooting club. MSI, AGC, Isaac Walton- any one of dozens around the state. After 99 days, you’ll have 3 references you can call on if you’re not a total loner.

Crazytrain

Certified Grump
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 8, 2007
    Sparks, MD
    For the long haul- join a shooting club. MSI, AGC, Isaac Walton- any one of dozens around the state. After 99 days, you’ll have 3 references you can call on if you’re not a total loner.
    I mean, sure, I can do something like that. I don't see why I should have to, though. It's a right... Right?

chilipeppermaniac

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Smarter people get the HGP first, and never bother applying for the HQL- because it’s included (for free) with anyone who has an HGP.
    In my case, I musta been doubly unsmart.

I bought the handgun first, found out about the HQL part AFTER paying the auction house for my new purchase, getting it sent to the FFL, and THEN having them ask me" did I have my handgun permit?" It was then that I learned I would need to pacify the jerks in control who passed the BS law that mandated the HQL etc in the first place.

As for the HGP, I am pretty sure I would have never been " worthy enough" to appease the King Froshole and his Minions to get their A OK. for my 2A right.

DC-W

Ultimate Member
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 23, 2013
    ️‍
    I am one of those who have the very old HQL with a picture on it. I got it back in 2015 before they stopped passing them out with the picture because they did not want people to use that as an ID for the Real ID Act kicked in

That’s not why. It never sufficed as a real ID type card anyways. They just simply couldn’t access the image from MVA any longer. Then it later became cost convenient to just not issue a physical card anymore.

DC-W

Ultimate Member
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 23, 2013
    ️‍
    The update says that MD's scheme is unaffected at this time. Do you recommend waiting to submit until the scheme is changed?
    MD's other requirements are unaffected at the moment, but Good and Substantial is dead. Apply!

P-12 Norm

Why be normal?
    Sep 9, 2009
    Bowie, MD
    Read AG Frosh's statement regarding the NYSRPA v Bruen ruling. It was the most unprofessional, hyperbolic statement ever made by an Attorney General I have ever seen. The man has the emotional maturity of a spoiled 2 year old.

On a positive note, I called into the MD State Police and got my account straightened out. Based on the conversation I had with a trooper who was far more professional than our AG, I am going to wait until some one slaps some sense into Frosh.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    illlocs33

Latest threads

Top Bottom