• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Ponder_MD

Ultimate Member
    Mar 9, 2020
    Maryland
    I apologize for this but I'm not getting good results from the search engine.

I'm retired military and hold an active high level security clearance. I know this allows me to skip the HQL classes but there's also a CCW class to contend with. I'm getting mixed information on whether a vet or security clearance holder is eligible to skip the 16 hours of CCW classes. I know that I need to get fingerprinted, no matter what.

As a vet/clearance holder do I need to attend the CCW class or not?

Allen65

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jun 29, 2013
    Anne Arundel County
    Clearance holder is irrelevant. Having a DD-214 that shows an honorable discharge gets the training requirement for a MD carry permit waived.

fishgutzy

MDS Supporter
    Aug 25, 2022
    AA County
    Clearance holder is irrelevant. Having a DD-214 that shows an honorable discharge gets the training requirement for a MD carry permit waived.
    Bingo. My daughter has a high level security clearance but she still has to take the class because she doesn't have a DD214.

Bullfrog

Ultimate Member
    Oct 8, 2009
    Carroll County
    I'm retired military and hold an active high level security clearance. I know this allows me to skip the HQL classes but there's also a CCW class to contend with.

If you're retired, you have an ID card. You not only don't need the HQL classes, you don't need an HQL at all.

When purchasing a handgun there will be a section listing HQL exemptions. Check the appropriate box and enter your retired DoD ID card number.

As a vet/clearance holder do I need to attend the CCW class or not?

Already covered by other people who responded, but with a DD214 you do not need the class. Clearance means nothing at all. It used to help with G&S, but that is now irrelevant.

Blaster229

God loves you, I don't.
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 14, 2010
    Glen Burnie
    I deleted that post.

I misread from one post to another and for a brief moment thought swinoker's one word answer was saying that No = his DD214 did not exempt him from the class.
    Yeah. Swinokur doesn't quote posts he responds to anymore. It can be confusing.

Ponder_MD

Ultimate Member
    Mar 9, 2020
    Maryland
    Perfect. I have my DD-214. This is great news, thanks.
    ETA: The reason I mentioned the security clearance is because that's how people used to get around the "may issue" thing in the past. Not sure if it would apply to the WC class.

Allen65

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jun 29, 2013
    Anne Arundel County
    MSP still has all this "good and substantial" garbage on their licensing portal.
    They've been too busy processing post-Bruen permit apps to dedicate any manpower for a website update. :D

I wonder if Smith and Waldstreicher heard the MDSP 2022 permit numbers in context for the first time at this hearing? And, if so, what went through their heads when they heard the massive numbers? As for Sen. West, I don't think anything was going through his head except for the light coming in one ear. I guess with Lee moving on, someone has to fill the Village Idiot role on the JPC.

RFBfromDE

W&C MD, UT, PA
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 21, 2022
    The Land of Pleasant Living
    Bingo. My daughter has a high level security clearance but she still has to take the class because she doesn't have a DD214.
    I applied on line at VAdotCOM. It took several weeks but they mailed them to me.

I only wanted the Honorable Discharge copy but they sent one for every transfer and ADT I went on for seven years!

Ponder_MD

Ultimate Member
    Mar 9, 2020
    Maryland
    They've been too busy processing post-Bruen permit apps to dedicate any manpower for a website update. :D

I wonder if Smith and Waldstreicher heard the MDSP 2022 permit numbers in context for the first time at this hearing? And, if so, what went through their heads when they heard the massive numbers? As for Sen. West, I don't think anything was going through his head except for the light coming in one ear. I guess with Lee moving on, someone has to fill the Village Idiot role on the JPC.

I've been dragging my feet on this. Should have done it the moment the portal opened up. I've got the application 95% complete and saved. Just need to get my Livescan and list 3 references. This morning I watched a doorbell cam that showed 2 thugs follow someone to his front door and pull a gun on him. That pushed me over the edge.

shootin the breeze

Missed it by that much
    Dec 22, 2012
    Highland
    I've been dragging my feet on this. Should have done it the moment the portal opened up. I've got the application 95% complete and saved. Just need to get my Livescan and list 3 references. This morning I watched a doorbell cam that showed 2 thugs follow someone to his front door and pull a gun on him. That pushed me over the edge.
    But as Blaster says, don’t draw on the drop. Your gun won’t help you if you don’t see them approaching and you find a gun in your back.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Nelsonbencasey

Latest threads

Top Bottom