• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • w69dy

Mar 8, 2011
    North beach
    Ok I have a few questions about the maryland CCW permit. First heres a little background about myself. I'm currently serving in the US Air Force as a Secuirty Force member (Military police). Im in charge of the base's SWAT team. I have very extensive background with weapons and training. To name a few I am a certified military police officer with 10 years under my belt, a certified US Park Police SWAT Operator (went to there swat school) and a certified FBI sniper. My problem is that I've been told the state of Maryland doesn't recognize military police as a "LEO". Is this true? If it isn't do i even need a permit. Thanks in advance and if there's somebody i can call for more guidance could you inbox me there number. - DAVID

Side note: I currently have an Alabama CCW permit.

Ruzo

Ultimate Member
    Mar 12, 2011
    Phoenix, MD.
    Question? What did they tell you in Alabama? Did they say you needed to acquire a permit there to carry? If so, I can't possibly imagine it would be different here in Maryland.

Minuteman

BANNED!!!
    David- Some police especially long retired police have had some difficulty getting MD CHP permits; but the good news is when they do, they are unrestricted. There should be no restrictions on any permit, you either qualify or you don't in my opinion.

I think especially in light of what is going on right now in MD with permits, you should apply as LEO, and you stand a very good chance of getting a permit.

Also, if in your regs it says you have 'arrest' or 'apprehension' (same thing) during those 10+ years, you qualify for LEOSA. Effective last summer the MDSP relinquished the certification to the Maryland Police Training Commission, and they routinely give training, testing, and certification (to those that comply with all of the LEOSA standards), the cost is $50, they do it in Sykesville; and are very officer friendly. LEOSA is much better in my opinion because it supersedes most local and state laws, and it's good in all 50 states, DC, and US territories, you don't have to worry as much crossing state lines.

Some recommend you should get a LEOSA permit and a MD CHP, that's a lot of time, money and effort; but there is something to be said about redundancy.

Yoboney

Sep 2, 2008
    I agree with the above post. I would also call the MSP and ask them. they are bot all bad guys at all. If you are an active leo under Fed law you may b3 exempt anyway. Just look at your regs and look it up. Good luck.

w69dy

Mar 8, 2011
    North beach
    Minute man I owe you a beer sir! I will be call MSP tomorrow morning about this LEOSA program. Thank you again sir!!!

Blaster229

God loves you, I don't.
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 14, 2010
    Glen Burnie
    Maryland Police and Correctional Training Commissions
    410-875-3400
    6852 4th Street
    Sykesville, MD 21784

Good luck but I am pretty sure that they do not recognize military police service as "police experience"

fivepointstar

Thank you MD-Goodbye
    Apr 28, 2008
    3rd Rock from the Sun
    The MPTC doesn't recognize MP as "police officers" because of the training standards. If you went through FLETC that would be different.

you could have 10000 hrs of advanced training but if you you're not commissioned as a police officer by a police agency then "no"

MSP has NOTHING to do with that decision.

Blaster229

God loves you, I don't.
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 14, 2010
    Glen Burnie
    Minute man I owe you a beer sir! I will be call MSP tomorrow morning about this LEOSA program. Thank you again sir!!!

The thing is, if the military were included under LEOSA the military would have their participation outlined, quals, type of weapons allowed and the all important agency credentials. You would get all info from them. Since you will be a separated member, you have to carry under the color of some agency. Unless states have generic LEOSA identification cards that they are willing to sponsor non State Police retirees that I don't know about. I am pretty sure they do not.
    My agency, as do all police agencies, have credentials made for separated members just for LEOSA. They may just be an agencies typical retiree credential, but none the less.

Good luck.

iobidder

1 point'er
    Nov 11, 2011
    Everywhere
    I am a little confused. There is AF Form 523. Now this allows MIL to carry on GOv't installations and property and in between meaning publically concealed.

Not MIL here so it seems a bit foggy to me, but I remember this discussions with some colleagues of mine.

ejs129

Apr 20, 2011
    Baltimore
    There is a DoD directive on LEOSA. It specifically limits military coverage under LEOSA to agents of the United States Army Criminal Investigation Command, the Naval Criminal Investigative Service, the Air Force Office of Special Investigations, the Defense Criminal Investigative Service, the Pentagon Force Protection Agency, the National Security Agency. Check out section 2.2
    www.dtic.mil/whs/directives/corres/pdf/552512p.pdf

iobidder

1 point'er
    Nov 11, 2011
    Everywhere
    There is a DoD directive on LEOSA. It specifically limits military coverage under LEOSA to agents of the United States Army Criminal Investigation Command, the Naval Criminal Investigative Service, the Air Force Office of Special Investigations, the Defense Criminal Investigative Service, the Pentagon Force Protection Agency, the National Security Agency. Check out section 2.2
    www.dtic.mil/whs/directives/corres/pdf/552512p.pdf

Those are DoD Civilians, so yes they are covered.

w69dy

Mar 8, 2011
    North beach
    Ok a little update: Talked to a few ppl and got the same answer. It's a no go as stated as above military police are not covered up the LEOSA because we do not have the authority to arrest ciminals off a military installation. We can only detain them. So my step would be to try and apply for a ccw. Any good tips ?

PJDiesel

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Dec 18, 2011
    Any good tips ?

Grab a few cold beverages an get to reading.

There are lots of opinions on this. Some of us have applied very recently, most people haven heard a word form the MSP about the app.

If I were me, I'd wait a few months, then apply.

Just trying to be free
    Jan 21, 2012
    If the stay is denied, those that are in the system now will certainly be ahead of the game and the influx of those that will apply will certainly be in a mass of applications and waiting.

The original advise was/is, if you have the money to spare and you are willing to possibly loose it (MD does not return your fee regardless of permit disposition) then apply. Odds are in our favor, but nothing is certain.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    bara4033

Latest threads

Top Bottom