• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • MH1

I call shotgun
    Mar 7, 2013
    Middle River, MD
    Ok sorry, but I am lost in all this. I am a Systems Engineer (Computers) not a politician.

Have these bills all passed and are becoming law or is there another hurdle for them?

I received an email from a Senator stating that I should relax and although the bill passed the Senate it has been revised to favor the gun owner. Sorry, dont see it and told him as much.

He stated that one of the Bill points is that a License will be needed to purchase handguns and that fingerprints will need to be done. Where do I get this license? Also does the fact I purchased a firearm in MD and filled out their paperwork consitute registration?

Thanks in advance,

Dave (aka Confused)

Nothing has passed yet but they still have plenty of time:sad20:
    if they do pass they wont take effect for several months.

USCitizen

Mar 10, 2013
    ok kind of new to the forum and a little confused about the wording on the new Bills what does it mean to "register" a weapon. I purchased a windham weaponry m-16 SRC model in February 2013 from a Maryland FFL gun dealer. Is this weapon considered registered by the state of Maryland?

ar15dave

AR15Dave
    Jun 10, 2008
    Monrovia, MD
    ok kind of new to the forum and a little confused about the wording on the new Bills what does it mean to "register" a weapon. I purchased a windham weaponry m-16 SRC model in February 2013 from a Maryland FFL gun dealer. Is this weapon considered registered by the state of Maryland?

I believe it does. If you purchased a weapon when you lived out of state and moved to Maryland, registering the weapon with the state was optional and not manditory. If you buy it in state it is, of coourse, automatically registered. i think that is what they are talking about. If you move in state with a gun not registered in the state of Maryland you must register it.

Please correct me if I am wrong. This law stuff gets me confused sometimes.

Dave

hvymax

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Apr 19, 2010
    Dentsville District 28
    I moved to MD in 1990, retired from the USAF in 1997 and became a MD resident. I shure hope I am not required to register my, so called regulated firearms, (with over a dozen that I brought into the state in 1990), as it will be somewhat time consuming. Hopefully I'm reading all this wrong...:confused:

Fred

Nope. Anything not registered will have to be before the deadline and violation of any aspect of these soon to be laws will permanently ban you from owning any firearm in the US. They are waiting till the last second on these so we are not down there every day with torches and pitchforks. They will ram these through and run for their lives.

MJD438

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 28, 2012
    Somewhere in MD
    If that is the case, I will move all of my regulated firearms out of state to NH. Plan on moving there in a few years anyway, after my wife retires--maybe before... I will not give this state anymore of my money than necessary...:)

BTW, how can MD ban your ownership of firearms in the rest of the US???

Fred

Violation of the proposed laws results in a potential punishment that places one under Federal ban criteria.

Saginaw

Jan 13, 2013
    Fort Meade, Odenton
    Nope. Anything not registered will have to be before the deadline and violation of any aspect of these soon to be laws will permanently ban you from owning any firearm in the US. They are waiting till the last second on these so we are not down there every day with torches and pitchforks. They will ram these through and run for their lives.

:bowdown:Where exactly will one go to register them? will they have to be surrendered for the 7 day waiting period we all know how well that is working or do we just fill out the paperwork and send it in? anybody know?:tdown::banghead: I think while they are runining they need a :tongue01::poke:

mandragon1991

Jul 8, 2012
    Would the new proposed legislation ban the possession of magazines over 10 rounds? Or would it be like how it is now where you can still go to another state and buy high cap magazines?

OldGunner

Jan 17, 2010
    :bowdown:do we just fill out the paperwork and send it in? :

SB281 says you have to take training, be fingerprinted and have a background check and pay a $100 fee every 5 years.

This applies to all guns with detachable magazines and a pistol grip, thumbhole stock, threaded barrel. If you have a handgun with a detachable magazine and a threaded barrel it's a "copy cat assault weapon".

The bill also states that the above guns cannot be sold in Maryland or transported into the state including banning the sale of threaded barrels. Some people believe this means that if you leave the state with one of the above firearms on a hunting trip you, cannot return with the guns without peril of a mandatory 5 year prison sentence.

I've heard there may be amendments but I don't know what they are.

babalao

Mar 17, 2013
    I am sorry if this is redundant. I have tried to understand this proposed bill, and I can't tell if C&R guns are affected by it.

I own a CZ82 (12 rounds detachable mag). I don't have a threaded barrel, second pistol grip or barrel shroud. The only thing is my mag accepting 12 rounds. I read on a thread linked above that having 1 evil feature is a non-issue. At least that was my interpretation.

This would mean that most glocks, Beretta and many other semi automatic pistols holding more than 10 rounds are safe from the ban if they lack the features mentioned above?

Now, even if I am safe from the ban. I still have to register anything that holds over 10 rounds. Correct?

Will I have to register a handgun that holds 8 rounds in the magazine?

Apologies, English is my second language. If there are any grammar Nazis' here, please exempt me from your wrath.

hdatontodo

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2012
    So. Central Balto Co
    Have they defined how training is done?

I believe not. During the Senate Hearings, Frosh said that there was a 4 hour course listed on a web page. He was countered with the fact that it was a home safety class with no live fire plus it did not contain the MD specific material specified in SB281. There have also been arguments that there is not enough range time available to meet the expected demand.

hdatontodo

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2012
    So. Central Balto Co
    I am sorry if this is redundant. I have tried to understand this proposed bill, and I can't tell if C&R guns are affected by it.

I own a CZ82 (12 rounds detachable mag). I don't have a threaded barrel, second pistol grip or barrel shroud. The only thing is my mag accepting 12 rounds. I read on a thread linked above that having 1 evil feature is a non-issue. At least that was my interpretation.

This would mean that most glocks, Beretta and many other semi automatic pistols holding more than 10 rounds are safe from the ban if they lack the features mentioned above?

Now, even if I am safe from the ban. I still have to register anything that holds over 10 rounds. Correct?

Will I have to register a handgun that holds 8 rounds in the magazine?

Apologies, English is my second language. If there are any grammar Nazis' here, please exempt me from your wrath.

Some of the faq's on the first page of this url may help:
    http://www.mdshooters.com/showthread.php?t=109281

You could sell a 12 round CZ 82 or 17 round S&W M&P 9mm, but not with their mags over 10 rounds. I do not believe that either would have to be registered per SB281 assault pistol definitions.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    guitarsit

Latest threads

Top Bottom