• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • ArJuna

Apr 10, 2008
    Gaithersburg, MD
    The bill also states that the above guns cannot be sold in Maryland or transported into the state including banning the sale of threaded barrels. Some people believe this means that if you leave the state with one of the above firearms on a hunting trip you, cannot return with the guns without peril of a mandatory 5 year prison sentence.

I've heard there may be amendments but I don't know what they are.

At one of the senate hearings I attended this question was brought up--it was clearly stated that you could bring back into MD any previously owned, currently banned guns, mags etc, without the threat of being in violation. It was discussed fairly well and I know at least one senator was planning on intruding language into the bill to ensure it would not be misinterpreted. I sure hope this was done as we all know how the intentions of the legislature can get strangely twisted in its interpretations.

thllgo

Feb 25, 2013
    Has anyone heard anything recently about what is happening to either SB 281 or HB 294. Last I heard 281 passed the Senate but still had to go through the House and 294 has only had 1 reading. Things seemed to be progressing at a fairly fast pace but I haven't heard a thing from either the House or the Senate on either bill for 3 weeks or so. The silence is driving me nuts.

Dr Dano HPR

Mar 4, 2013
    Towson
    Has anyone heard anything recently about what is happening to either SB 281 or HB 294. Last I heard 281 passed the Senate but still had to go through the House and 294 has only had 1 reading. Things seemed to be progressing at a fairly fast pace but I haven't heard a thing from either the House or the Senate on either bill for 3 weeks or so. The silence is driving me nuts.

Check link below and get to work!

http://www.mdshooters.com/showthread.php?t=113073

marte616

God bless America...
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 15, 2008
    Occupied Territory
    Is KASEMEYER (D-12) on the fence?

Just called State Senator (District 12): Edward J. Kasemeyer and State Delegates (District 12B):Elizabeth Bobo. Bobo's secretary said she is a co-sponsor of the Governor's Bill(s). Fine. But then called Kasemeyer, and his secretary had no idea of what his position is!!!WTF???? Is he on the fence???

deMontjoie

Ultimate Member
    Oct 25, 2010
    Hollywood, MD
    At one of the senate hearings I attended this question was brought up--it was clearly stated that you could bring back into MD any previously owned, currently banned guns, mags etc, without the threat of being in violation. It was discussed fairly well and I know at least one senator was planning on intruding language into the bill to ensure it would not be misinterpreted. I sure hope this was done as we all know how the intentions of the legislature can get strangely twisted in its interpretations.

On the 29th, Delegate Kelly asked to confirm that he could request to add language "to ensure that folks could bring banned guns into the state for matches and such, without fear of confiscation."
    Chairman Vallario responded "That goes without saying."

With all the dirty tricks on this bill, I doubt that any such amendment was adopted. Nor do I trust Chairman V's assurances.

Independence

long member
    Jul 16, 2008
    Nottingham
    On the 29th, Delegate Kelly asked to confirm that he could request to add language "to ensure that folks could bring banned guns into the state for matches and such, without fear of confiscation."
    Chairman Vallario responded "That goes without saying."

With all the dirty tricks on this bill, I doubt that any such amendment was adopted. Nor do I trust Chairman V's assurances.

If an exception isn't written down, it doesn't exist.

ar15dave

AR15Dave
    Jun 10, 2008
    Monrovia, MD
    OK where can I see a copy of the current revision of SB281? One that lists all current ammendments as the bill stands now?

I am a bit confused as to what is happening with this bill.

Dave

accokeek

MDS Supporter
    Mar 4, 2013
    Southern Maryland
    Confusion about current state of SB281

After reading an article in WaPo this morning and looking at the enormous list of amendments offerred to the bill last night, I'm almost terminally confused about what the current version of the bill contains. I have read that the requirement to register existing "regulated firearms" was dropped, but then in another venue I read that all "grandfathering" had been eliminated and that banned weapons and magazines with a capacity greater than 10 rounds would become contraband and subject to seizure. I suspect that some, if not most, of the material out there is deliberate disinformation from one side or another and given the "gotcha" language in the original version I'm both concerned and unsure of how to approach legislators on opposing either the bill writ large or particular parts of it. Does anyone have either a precis of where the bill stands now, or a complete amended copy of SB281 (ie, the version that will go to conference). Apologies for the long post, but this reminds me of an ancient computer came where you are told "you are in a maze of twisty little passages all alike"

4Prosales

" Who's YOUR Daddy NOW "
    Nov 3, 2009
    SB 281 - Debate on Amendments - April 2, 2013

Last night (Apr. 2) in the debate on the Governor's gun bill, the House of Delegates accepted amendments to help criminals. All amendments we proposed to remove law-abiding citizens out of the bill were rejected.

Debate went on late into the evening - we finished at 10:30 pm. The Democrats had their side beaten down so they would vote the way they were told, in spite of what any of their constituents might think.

This bill is not only a grab at our Second Amendment rights - it is an attack on our right to a fair trial. They are putting retroactive restrictions on people with probation before judgment (PBJ). This would without prior notice strip people with a PBJ of their restored gun rights, making them criminals for "illegally" having guns which they had legally obtained and legally possess. It would make a mockery of the judge's disposition of a case, and drastically affect our judicial system.

The majority party would not even support an amendment to permit off-duty police officers to carry a gun on school property.

Their arguments are insane, as is this bill. I am disgusted, and I am still fighting.

Rick Impallaria
    Delegate, District 7
    rick.impallaria@house.state.md.us

4Prosales

" Who's YOUR Daddy NOW "
    Nov 3, 2009
    We need to get this bill on a referendum to be voted on by the citizens of this Great State. This is Political corruption that has not been seen since the prohibition era. Please unite to get the necessary process started to defeat this scalping of the people of this free country..........

Grampa G

Ultimate Member
    Jan 11, 2010
    Washington Co.
    I don't want this going to referendum because I don't trust the majority of voters with my freedoms. Think how the fools that wrote this bill got in office

mh53gunner

Dec 17, 2009
    SB 281 - Debate on Amendments - April 2, 2013

Last night (Apr. 2) in the debate on the Governor's gun bill, the House of Delegates accepted amendments to help criminals. All amendments we proposed to remove law-abiding citizens out of the bill were rejected.

Debate went on late into the evening - we finished at 10:30 pm. The Democrats had their side beaten down so they would vote the way they were told, in spite of what any of their constituents might think.

This bill is not only a grab at our Second Amendment rights - it is an attack on our right to a fair trial. They are putting retroactive restrictions on people with probation before judgment (PBJ). This would without prior notice strip people with a PBJ of their restored gun rights, making them criminals for "illegally" having guns which they had legally obtained and legally possess. It would make a mockery of the judge's disposition of a case, and drastically affect our judicial system.

The majority party would not even support an amendment to permit off-duty police officers to carry a gun on school property.

Their arguments are insane, as is this bill. I am disgusted, and I am still fighting.

Rick Impallaria
    Delegate, District 7
    rick.impallaria@house.state.md.us

Sir,

Thanks for trying! It is a sad day for us law abiding citizens in the state. When the police cannot be trusted to carry a firearm on school property makes no sense... seems like that is a huge conflict since the officers that I know carry off duty.

I shall continue to fight to restore your rights.

Thanks again for your service to our state and trying to protect the second amendment in Md. Any suggestions on what our next steps would be since you are on the inside of the system??

2arms

Feb 4, 2013
    I am available to assist with the Maryland Supreme Court case that will be coming if any gun bill is signed. I will be happy to provide probono legal research, drafting, and any paralegal services needed. We all need to come together and peacefully defeat this tyranny in our State!

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    bara4033

Latest threads

Top Bottom