• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • pk64f100

Cold Dead hands
    Aug 24, 2013
    Carroll Co Md
    It seems like everyday it is getting more difficult to be a gun owner. If it is not an incorrect lock, Maryland's gun rooster does not have a handgun on their list, it is something else. I just purchased a 22 lr revolver and it did not come with a bore lock so I asked if i could use one of my others to pick up revolver but the FFL dealer said NO need the exact type, what a hoot. Not like I ever use one. My guns stay in my SAFE! I purchased a 1911 that was a MIL SPEC and no different than any other, Colt, Kimber, Rock island and etc.. but they came up with some Bologna story it was missing some kind of safety I had never heard of so it was not accepted this was after waiting for 6 months at my FFL dealers house awaiting my pick up. I was left with really no other option but to sell it to someone else at a loss. This really sucks

rbird7282

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 6, 2012
    Columbia
    Are you saying the handgun was not on the approved handgun roster board? or what?
    What are you talking about with the safety? Need a little more info.

fabsroman

Ultimate Member
    Mar 14, 2009
    Winfield/Taylorsville in Carroll
    Yes, it is getting tougher to buy guns in Maryland. No doubt about that. However, there are plenty that can still be bought. There is even a spreadsheet on here somewhere in the handgun forum where people can borrow locks from other MdShooters members to get the handguns home.

If you want to do anything about the current situation, donate to one or more of the organizations supporting the 2nd Amendment, make sure you vote, and talk to your friends and family about these problems and tell them the same thing I am telling you in this paragraph. Complaining about it gets us nothing. Actions provide results.

Docster

Ultimate Member
    Jul 19, 2010
    This is probably better off in the Maryland 2A forum for more people to see.....

jonnyl

Ultimate Member
    Sep 23, 2009
    Frederick
    It's definitely frustrating around here and I know this was more of a rant thread than being about the specifics, but I'm curious too on the details of the 1911. What make was it, and what safety was missing?

mike_in_md

Ultimate Member
    Feb 13, 2008
    Howard County
    My prediction:

1. Most gun shops go out of business/ consolidate after October 1st due to lack of sales. People are buying now to get what they want.
    2. The remaining gun shops jack up prices on guns and ammo.
    3. People reduce buying guns and ammo in state.
    4. MD Gun shops reduce allowing transfers of guns from out of state
    5. More people get FFL 03 licenses to buy C&R guns only. They will also make their guns.
    6. More dealers go out of business
    7. The remaining gun shops jack up prices again
    8. More guns will be bought and sold on the black market as soon as the prices greatly exceed the prices of guns sold by neighbor states and when it is too hard to buy a gun legally.
    9. A law will be passed making buying or selling a gun off the street or in a gun shop even more illegal than it is now.
    10. More gun will be illegal and will be confiscated, until the final law is passed to confiscate/ buy all remaining guns.
    11. Only the military, and police will be allowed guns legally in MD
    12. Playstation games like Call of Duty will be banned.
    13. All men will be forced to wear dresses as a punishment for breaking the law because prisons are too crowded.

ShoreShooter

Ultimate Member
    Feb 27, 2013
    We conservatives need more numbers in Annapolis. More Delegates and Senators elected from the currently Dem strongholds in the BW corridor.

It is just that simple.

2AHokie

Dec 27, 2012
    District - 9A
    It's definitely frustrating around here and I know this was more of a rant thread than being about the specifics, but I'm curious too on the details of the 1911. What make was it, and what safety was missing?

All new handguns manufactured after a certain date and sold in MD (can't remember off the top of my head) have to have an integrated locking device. In general, this is some built-in keyed lock. When it's locked with the key, it can't fire.

For new handguns in MD that do not have this feature (which is most of them since manufacturers aren't going to make special MD versions and there is limited market desire for this feature), you have to have a separate bore lock to satisfy this requirement. The bore lock goes in the chamber and is locked in place with a key you put down the barrel. Most shops will stock them and there is a thread here for people to find someone willing to lend one out.

This is not a very new requirement, but it is pointless.

For handguns manufactured before the cutoff, no integrated locking device is required.

mike_in_md

Ultimate Member
    Feb 13, 2008
    Howard County
    We conservatives need more numbers in Annapolis. More Delegates and Senators elected from the currently Dem strongholds in the BW corridor.

It is just that simple.

More businesses need to stop serving lawmakers that pass legislation that ruins their business, whatever their business may be. Maybe one or two of them may read the bill more closely when they realize that it may impact them specifically. In my opinion, this is easier to do, and all you may need is a vote or two to make a difference.

sgt23preston

USMC LLA. NRA Life Member
    May 19, 2011
    Perry Hall
    It seems like everyday it is getting more difficult to be a gun owner. If it is not an incorrect lock, Maryland's gun rooster does not have a handgun on their list, it is something else. I just purchased a 22 lr revolver and it did not come with a bore lock so I asked if i could use one of my others to pick up revolver but the FFL dealer said NO need the exact type, what a hoot. Not like I ever use one. My guns stay in my SAFE! I purchased a 1911 that was a MIL SPEC and no different than any other, Colt, Kimber, Rock island and etc.. but they came up with some Bologna story it was missing some kind of safety I had never heard of so it was not accepted this was after waiting for 6 months at my FFL dealers house awaiting my pick up. I was left with really no other option but to sell it to someone else at a loss. This really sucks

Sgt Preston here...

Regarding the 1911...

It sounds like you ordered a 1911 off the internet...

There are 2 important things you MUST ALWAYS DO BEFORE you place your order...

#1. Check the Merry-Land Approved Gun Roster for the exact make & model. IF it's not on the list, you can't own it so don't buy it...

#2. If it is a brand new gun, make sure that it comes with the "Certified Fired Shell Casing".
    IF it doesn't, make sure that whichever FFL that you intend to send it to,
    has the necessary credentials to produce the "Certified Fired Shell Casing for you...

#3. The time to discuss the Merry-Land State Required "lock" with your FFL is BEFORE you commit to send it to him...

Sirex