• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • RoadDawg

Nos nostraque Deo
    Dec 6, 2010
    We sold ALOT of handguns in the smaller size for concealed carry this past weekend!
    A very good sign for the Maryland Shows.

Glad that you guys did well. :thumbsup:

To all those who stopped by and supported the MSI folks, Thank you.

Vic

Ultimate Member
    Jul 2, 2010
    Whiteford, MD
    The least we could do. Hope things keep moving to the right.
    Until MD turns its bicameral legislative branch back into a true bicameral legislature changing MD will be near impossible. I'm still focusing my money on Federal charges.
    V

slsc98

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    May 24, 2012
    Escaped MD-stan to WNC Smokies
    Attendance was up yesterday , and much interest in CCW from the attendees .

^It^ can only spread.

This is a 2A forum whereas the vast majority of law-abiding citizens have yet to have their “Aroo?!” moment and I look for those to start happening like popcorn popping at bbqs, pool parties, wherever friends and family are gathering …

I get the sense this tsunami hasn’t even registered, let alone “hit shore” yet …

What will be deafening is the silence from the MSM as crimes against non-criminal activity persons plummets …

I don’t know if there was ever a collective, “Fawk!” on the part of predators when CCW first passed in FL but, I remember campus rapes went to damn near nil, in about a year!

cantstop

Pentultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 10, 2012
    MD
    I'd love to be able to buy standard capacity mag's locally. I'm hoping that too will occur during my lifetime.

Soccerdad

Jul 23, 2022
    Baltimore MD
    Hmm...Maybe. The big problem I see is that most of the dealers at the shows are from the Baltimore area. If you live in Deep Southern Maryland, as I do, driving 4 hours to pick up a gun isn't terribly appealing.
    Could you have it shipped to your local FFL? Depending on how much you wanted the item I suppose

Soccerdad

Jul 23, 2022
    Baltimore MD
    Thank you Mr. H... THIS is the point of this thread.

With so many folks poopooing the Md. Gun Shows and discouraging attendance... How the hell do we expect to bring back the Dealers? South Carrol is ONE OF US. They are there at the shows trying to stay in business. They are a LGS... Yet EVERY damn time they come to a show... they watch as some of US tell others to avoid the show. What do they do? So far they have been there every time, still trying. But, How long can they keep coming with this kind of discouragement. God bless them for their resilience. :thumbsup:

The SCOTUS Ruling of 6/23/22 will/should see an increase in the overall attendance rates for these shows... so long as folks do not fall victim to the "Never Maryland Gun Show" mantra we see here.

Soccerdad

Jul 23, 2022
    Baltimore MD
    Mr. H is right. Unfortunately many people now a days are about "me... me... me..." speaking their own views as if they were the majority. Rarely putting a foot forward to introduce, or even support, change.

What about those of us trying to introduce children into guns/ hunting? Or even a friend? For that next generation sportsman, these shows are invaluable!!! Maybe you can find it within yourselves to be open to supporting Maryland shows? Help us help that next generation that will one day be in OUR shoes!

Don't be a spectator on the sideline screaming about how someone could have done something to change the game; be a player! Or, better yet, be a coach!

I never find much at Gettysburg shows either. It isnt always "Maryland" specific. PA shows can suck too! But I still take my kids there periodically, just to use it as a spring board into learning a little history while they are there also. It is a cheap day trip from Baltimore. And it makes my hobby into their their hobby!

We also periodically attend the Harrisburg PA expo. Which is on the total opposite end of the spectrum vs Gettysburg! That, we turn into a weekend! And, far from cheap! But again, helps influence them amd keeps them involved.

Point being, like Mr H eludes to, how can we ever make Maryland shows better without participation? As once spoke in a movie, "Build it, and they will come..."

Perhaps together we can help weather the storm of mediocre Maryland shows, as a community; LEADING the way toward hosting our own beautiful event like the one in Harrisburg someday in the future.

My son got his 1st gun for Christmas years ago, when he was 4 months old! A 50th anniversary Ruger 10/22, stainless barrel with a beautiful wooden stock! From a local Maryland dealer! Was a .22 worth 500 bucks? Prob not... but, that was an amazing show for my family! It was also a priceless piece of my, barely born, son's FUTURE! Sure, I had buy 50 round clips for it at a Gettysburg show. But, that didn't make the lackluster PA show more valuable, as Marylander, than the MD show.

This forum has how many people??? If we stand together and attend these shows, would they still "suck?" Or, would vendors take notice, and put in the "extra work" to sort their inventory for Maryland regulations? Taking a few clips off of a table isn't exactly rocket science...

Sorry. Rant over. Just food for thought. Be the change!

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    If it's a unique older piece not readily available , maybe . Current production , readily available , probably not .

RoadDawg

Nos nostraque Deo
    Dec 6, 2010
    Mr. H is right. Unfortunately many people now a days are about "me... me... me..." speaking their own views as if they were the majority. Rarely putting a foot forward to introduce, or even support, change.

What about those of us trying to introduce children into guns/ hunting? Or even a friend? For that next generation sportsman, these shows are invaluable!!! Maybe you can find it within yourselves to be open to supporting Maryland shows? Help us help that next generation that will one day be in OUR shoes!

Don't be a spectator on the sideline screaming about how someone could have done something to change the game; be a player! Or, better yet, be a coach!

I never find much at Gettysburg shows either. It isnt always "Maryland" specific. PA shows can suck too! But I still take my kids there periodically, just to use it as a spring board into learning a little history while they are there also. It is a cheap day trip from Baltimore. And it makes my hobby into their their hobby!

We also periodically attend the Harrisburg PA expo. Which is on the total opposite end of the spectrum vs Gettysburg! That, we turn into a weekend! And, far from cheap! But again, helps influence them amd keeps them involved.

Point being, like Mr H eludes to, how can we ever make Maryland shows better without participation? As once spoke in a movie, "Build it, and they will come..."

Perhaps together we can help weather the storm of mediocre Maryland shows, as a community; LEADING the way toward hosting our own beautiful event like the one in Harrisburg someday in the future.

My son got his 1st gun for Christmas years ago, when he was 4 months old! A 50th anniversary Ruger 10/22, stainless barrel with a beautiful wooden stock! From a local Maryland dealer! Was a .22 worth 500 bucks? Prob not... but, that was an amazing show for my family! It was also a priceless piece of my, barely born, son's FUTURE! Sure, I had buy 50 round clips for it at a Gettysburg show. But, that didn't make the lackluster PA show more valuable, as Marylander, than the MD show.

This forum has how many people??? If we stand together and attend these shows, would they still "suck?" Or, would vendors take notice, and put in the "extra work" to sort their inventory for Maryland regulations? Taking a few clips off of a table isn't exactly rocket science...

Sorry. Rant over. Just food for thought. Be the change!
    RANT VALID…
    Go back and read my posts about the Maryland gun shows. There are many where I write about the bad practice of ignoring the shows when there are new shooters to welcome and current LGSs and Maryland 2A Rights groups which need the support. But, we see so many “What’s in it for ME?” posts, and poopooing about knives and jerky vendors.

This thread was intended to be a conversation to encourage more participation by the existing 2A Community Members. Thereby creating help for the new members and existing IP/LGSs who, without these shows, would not have the necessary opportunities they need to help US.

Thanks go out to those who showed up in Timonium for this show. :thumbsup: Your participation was noticed and appreciated.

BeoBill

Crank in the Third Row
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 3, 2013
    南馬里蘭州鮑伊
    Sure...but why? I'd be better off to order it directly to a local FFL.
    You're missing the entire point, IMO. If you're determined to stay in Southern Maryland, then drum up enough support for a local show in Southern Maryland. Haunt your LGSes and clubs/ranges instead of whining to those of us here who can do nothing to support your desire. :sad20:

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    You're missing the entire point, IMO. If you're determined to stay in Southern Maryland, then drum up enough support for a local show in Southern Maryland. Haunt your LGSes and clubs/ranges instead of whining to those of us here who can do nothing to support your desire. :sad20:

I almost had a certain nutritional supplements company talked into promoting 1 day gun show , then well , you know .

SPQM

May 21, 2014
    There are several things that need to be done to bring back MD Gun shows.

The following things need to die in no particular order, and here's why:

1.) 1996 and 2013 Regulated/Assault Weapons Ban. In 1996, they made a lot of rifles "regulated", which was a 7 day wait and registration with MD 77R; and then in 2013, they outright banned them from sale.

2.) MD 10 round and over ban.

Those two things basically mean that gun show vendors avoid Maryland because it's just not profitable and cost effective for them to assemble a "safe to sell in MD" inventory selection.

BUT MOST IMPORTANTLY.

SEVEN DAY WAIT FOR REGULATED WEAPONS.

This means that the most profitable per table/square footage item (handguns) can't be sold easily at gun shows, because then you have to come back 7 days later to get your item. There's no way a gun show vendor is going to come back to MD just to transfer the handguns he sold in MD. That limits a MD gun show vendor list to effectively those people who live in the MD area; or have a local MD Brick and mortar shop; which massively reduces the quality and content of items.

RoadDawg

Nos nostraque Deo
    Dec 6, 2010
    There are several things that need to be done to bring back MD Gun shows.

The following things need to die in no particular order, and here's why:

1.) 1996 and 2013 Regulated/Assault Weapons Ban. In 1996, they made a lot of rifles "regulated", which was a 7 day wait and registration with MD 77R; and then in 2013, they outright banned them from sale.

2.) MD 10 round and over ban.

Those two things basically mean that gun show vendors avoid Maryland because it's just not profitable and cost effective for them to assemble a "safe to sell in MD" inventory selection.

BUT MOST IMPORTANTLY.

SEVEN DAY WAIT FOR REGULATED WEAPONS.

This means that the most profitable per table/square footage item (handguns) can't be sold easily at gun shows, because then you have to come back 7 days later to get your item. There's no way a gun show vendor is going to come back to MD just to transfer the handguns he sold in MD. That limits a MD gun show vendor list to effectively those people who live in the MD area; or have a local MD Brick and mortar shop; which massively reduces the quality and content of items.
    1 and 2 are not set in stone as of the SCOTUS Bruen decision.

There are new LGSs in the state of Maryland. And there are existing LGS/IPs that sell at these shows.

The thing that makes the real difference is the overall show attendance. I’ve worked these shows for many years. And I observed what they were… how they suffered… and how they seem to be making a comeback. Vendors need customers. No or low customer count = less profit and makes the show untenable.

The recent Timonium show was far better in attendance and offerings than it has been since 2013. The future of the Maryland Gun Shows will depend on attendance and sales.

Shall Issue/Bruen has caused a resurgence of interest and attendance. The new customers, will make the difference. Their interest in training and firearms is a consumer base which the Maryland LGS dare not ignore.

We are not dead yet. I encourage everyone to attend and support our IP/LGSs. It’s the responsible thing to do for our community.

bigjoegood1

King Lurker
    MDS Supporter
    May 2, 2005
    Behind enemy lines
    I used to enjoy the Silverado Shows at the Equestrian Center even if it wasn't a big show. Had a family type vibe especially when I worked a booth for my gun club there. Would always run into old friends that I hadn't seen in years too. I miss that hometown feel.

Sent from my SM-N986U using Tapatalk

Bullfrog

Ultimate Member
    Oct 8, 2009
    Carroll County

Have you ever bought a handgun at a gun show?

That isn't the way it works. An out of state FFL can't transfer you a handgun, period. Federal law prevents it. The seven day wait has no impact on them, at all.

You find a handgun at a show you want to buy, you either arrange for the seller to ship it to a MD FFL, or pass it to one who is present at the show. You pay the seller.

From that point on, you deal with the MD FFL. The out of state seller doesn't care if you wait 10 minutes, 7 days, or 100 days. A Virgina based FFL has no more problem selling handguns to MD residents than he does to West VA residents. From his perspective it would be the same.

Even HG roster issues would be handled by the MD FFL, although the buyer should check in advance.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Nelsonbencasey

Latest threads

Top Bottom