• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • MDFF2008

Ultimate Member
    Aug 12, 2008
    I read on another forum that the class you have to take to buy a handgun (the free one) is acceptable to obtain a Virginia CCW.

Is this true? I want a CCW permit but I really don't have money for permits and classes. I'd love to be able to get the permit, then take some classes later on.

MDFF2008

Ultimate Member
    Aug 12, 2008
    That's good news, I could apply for the Florida one.

But if anyone did know that would be awesome, I have the VA app sitting on my desk.

3rdRcn

RIP
    Industry Partner
    Sep 9, 2007
    Harford County
    I read on another forum that the class you have to take to buy a handgun (the free one) is acceptable to obtain a Virginia CCW.

Is this true? I want a CCW permit but I really don't have money for permits and classes. I'd love to be able to get the permit, then take some classes later on.

What is your level of experience with a handgun?

Edit: Nevermind that question, I looked up one of your other posts and you say you have been shooting pistols a bit. I think you should get the Florida permit as this allows for more reciprocity than does the Virginia one and you would get more for the few dollars you have to spend. I would however caution against not taking a class that is designed for defensive pistol shooting instruction and carrying a concealed handgun. If you take one of these classes that are available you will learn some techniques to practice to help you deal with a situation that requires you to draw the gun on someone. Practice is paramount to carrying a gun and proper practice could keep you from hurting someone that you didn't intend to.

Last edited:

kalister1

R.I.P.
    May 16, 2008
    Pasadena Maryland
    I found a website for Florida "Game & Fish"? There was a place where you could send in questions about the carry permit process. I asked if the Maryland Movie was acceptable for the permit. The response I received was the exact page from the paperwork you receive when you ask for the application. I e-mailed the supervisor, "the person that responded to my question" and asked specifically about the movie we watch. I have/did NOT receive a reply. I have read that they only accept training that involves shooting a gun now?

kalister1

R.I.P.
    May 16, 2008
    Pasadena Maryland
    kalister1 - Not sure if you got the paperwork from Florida, but below is a link to the instructions to apply and it has a list of training classes. Based on this list, it seems the Maryland movie would not suffice, but I have also read that Florida was accepting that as okay for the CCW.

http://licgweb.doacs.state.fl.us/ap.../Concealed Weapon_ApplicationInstructions.pdf

Yes that is the paper I received. It states any State sponsored class given by a certified instructor. Is the guy in the movie a Certified Instructor? The movie is sponsored by the State.

eruby

Confederate Jew
    MDS Supporter
    Yes that is the paper I received. It states any State sponsored class given by a certified instructor. Is the guy in the movie a Certified Instructor? The movie is sponsored by the State.
    According to the faq's, it's taught by "certified law enforcement officers and firearms instructors". You can take the test online. A friend took it online and got a very impressive card with state logo on it. Looks much better than my manilla card. My very well work for Fla.

http://www.mdgunsafety.com/faq.htm

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    guitarsit

Latest threads

Top Bottom