• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • JohnnyE

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 18, 2013
    MoCo
    Early this Friday morning I received an email from MSP (first time ever) stating that the 2022 machine gun registration window is now open.

It listed the guns and their serial numbers. Never heard a peep from them over the years. Anyway, get 'em registered folks, you have until the end of May.

Nickberg500

Ultimate Member
    Sep 20, 2019
    North of Baltimore County
    Early this Friday morning I received an email from MSP (first time ever) stating that the 2022 machine gun registration window is now open.

It listed the guns and their serial numbers. Never heard a peep from them over the years. Anyway, get 'em registered folks, you have until the end of May.
    Wow thanks, they even let me register my coat hanger RDIAS

erwos

The Hebrew Hammer
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 25, 2009
    Rockville, MD

It's a nonsense law, but at least this makes it way more convenient to deal with. Curious if anyone's ever tried FOIA'ing them to see how many registrations they get per year.

ericoak

don't drop Aboma on me
    Feb 20, 2010
    Howard County
    It's a nonsense law, but at least this makes it way more convenient to deal with. Curious if anyone's ever tried FOIA'ing them to see how many registrations they get per year.

The old online system used to have an application number that included the year. I registered on the last day, would have to go look up what number I saw.

IMBLITZVT

Ultimate Member
    Apr 20, 2009
    Catonsville, MD
    Does it bother anyone else that the law says you must do it in May and yet MSP sends it a month early? If the law says in May, last I checked April is not May. I get they are giving us 2 months to do it but thats not what the law requires and they are breaking the law in doing it in April. If they can do in it April, how about January or December? How about just not accept them anymore and stop wasting everyone's time? Or maybe I can pre-register for like the next 10 years now to make sure I don't forget. Just something to remember every decade. This is not something I would bring up as an issue but I am waiting until May as the law states.

JohnnyE

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 18, 2013
    MoCo
    Is anyone upset that MSP identifies your items in their email to you and, if hacked, bad guys get a shopping list?

teratos

My hair is amazing
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 22, 2009
    Bel Air
    Is anyone upset that MSP identifies your items in their email to you and, if hacked, bad guys get a shopping list?
    Isn’t THAT what you want that bad guys to have? “Oh, look, Pugsly, this guy has a couple of mini-guns!”

IMBLITZVT

Ultimate Member
    Apr 20, 2009
    Catonsville, MD

You know, it really does not bother me that much. The people I don't want to have the serial number is the ATF followed by other Government agencies. They are the worst thieves as they take your guns and arrest you. At least robbers just take the guns. I don't care about posting my serials on the internet. NFA items are not high on the list to steal anyway. To much time in jail for what you get.

JohnnyE

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 18, 2013
    MoCo
    Get your registrations in, we're coming down to the wire. The registration window ends at the end of May.

Thankfully all my data was prepopulated on the portal, which really sped up the process. The site did balk when I attempted to use my usual credit card, but the other one worked. The payment window itself does need work. Changing cards was a bitch. I had to just cancel the payment and reload the payment screen to achieve success.

teratos

My hair is amazing
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 22, 2009
    Bel Air
    I can’t get any cards to work. They don’t do AMEX, which is my primary card, and no debit cards will work. I’ve tried my wife’s, daughters and sons. I’ll need to borrow one of my partners visa/Mastercard. Stupid system.

BrianS

Apr 26, 2010
    I did mine a month ago but it still shows "Submitted for Review". No issues last year.

cogcon

COGCON
    MDS Supporter
    So I FOIA'd ATF in May 2021 requesting to know how many machine guns were registered in the State of Maryland. Just this month, I received the response. Per the ATF, 3205 machine guns were registered on Form 4 in Maryland. In retrospect, I wished I asked how many were registered to the same individual or entity to account for owners of multiple machine guns. This would tell us how many registrations SHOULD be filed each May.

Guestimating that 30% of the MG's are registered to the same individual or company and the fee is per application (not per firearm), that means MSP is pulling in a little over $22K/year in fees. Not a whole lot in the grand scheme of things, but just wondering if even this amount is reasonable given my assumption that a lot of the data collected during the registration process is static. As they say in the IT industry, storage is cheap!

My suggestion --- new registrations continue to use the current process. Re-registrants receive an annual email asking to confirm current data. Understand this is not a MSP call, it's in the COMAR and the legislature would have to amend the law. This would help ease the citizen burden and is cheap, easy and effective, but that is not necessarily a consideration in Annapolis.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Nelsonbencasey

Latest threads

Top Bottom