Sheepdog
    Staff member
    Apr 11, 2008
    MD

Jim12

Let Freedom Ring
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 30, 2013
    I remember well the rockfish moratorium that started in 1985, and lasted 5 years. I expect we'll see that again, and for recreational and commercial fisheries both.
    IIRC, that rockfish moratorium brought on an overabundance of rockfish spawn that decimated the young blue crab population and led to a crisis in the blue crab population.

Funny how we sometimes don't foresee the foreseeable results of our actions.

Uncle Duke

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 2, 2013
    Not Far Enough from the City
    IIRC, that rockfish moratorium brought on an overabundance of rockfish spawn that decimated the young blue crab population and led to a crisis in the blue crab population.

I heard that also. Now as then though, cause and effect are oftentimes hard to determine.

Odd times then as you may recall. Salinity levels were high then, which was said to have brought tide runner bluefish much further north than usual. I never really missed the rockfish. We knocked hell out of BIG bluefish of 12-16 pounds as far north as Hacketts Bar. They were a blast on spinning rods. Big fish were also being caught north of the Bay Bridges. Then they were gone.

I'm not sure they truly know oftentimes, just what causes what. Guess we'll see what they come up with this time around.

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014

I don't believe that to be true.
    AND, the moratorium revived the fishery.
    I'd like to see the moratorium reinstated.

Slackdaddy

My pronouns: Iva/Bigun
    Jan 1, 2019
    Yup,,
    I can see who DNR gets their marching orders from.
    Those dang sport fisherman with their one fish limit are the problem!! :lol2:

Jim12

Let Freedom Ring
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 30, 2013
    OK, Meanwhile, I'll buy blue crab futures! Oh, wait. Nowadays, most of them come from more reliable sources, down south. :)

Baldheaded

Ultimate Member
    Jan 18, 2021
    A.A. Co.
    I agree. The moratorium needs to be reinstated. If not, they should close the season during the hot summer months. Those fish don't stand much of a chance when it is 90 out. I can't tell you how many people are out there in the summer hammering them and all of them that end up floaters. Sad. I will catch crap for saying this too but the charter boats are just as much to blame if not more.

tjiann

MDS Supporter
    Jan 15, 2022
    AACo

The blue crab population issues were in the past and still are due to overfishing (recruitment overfishing to be exact). The rockfish recovery was a convenient explanation in order for the fisheries councils and politicians to try and appease the watermen and ignore the truth.

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    OK, Meanwhile, I'll buy blue crab futures! Oh, wait. Nowadays, most of them come from more reliable sources, down south. :)
    True, but game management is a very involved notion.
    On a side note, ever watch underwater cams of Maine lobster fisherman culling their catch? The stripers follow the boats and gobble down lobster bi-catch.
    Yup,,
    I can see who DNR gets their marching orders from.
    Those dang sport fisherman with their one fish limit are the problem!! :lol2:
    Not saying that. I want to see a coastal moratorium.
    If you don't understand that, then I can't help you.

I hear lots of tickets get written for undersized rock.

Yep at one point NRP was writing 300 tickets per week on the Bill Burton pier alone. Most to illegals who gave false info to the officers and then of course never showing for court. Eventually it got so bad they closed the pier to night fishing and removed the lights. They said it was because the lights posed a hazard due to their age but I am a close friend to one of the NRP officers writing the tickets and he said that was just a cover story because the state didn't want to let it get out that their sanctuary state was importing crime...

Melnic

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 27, 2012
    HoCo
    Once again, the problem is not the fisherman, but the Omega company taking all the baitfish.
    And as said, poaching.

Doco Overboard

Ultimate Member
    BANNED!!!
    Yep at one point NRP was writing 300 tickets per week on the Bill Burton pier alone. Most to illegals who gave false info to the officers and then of course never showing for court. Eventually it got so bad they closed the pier to night fishing and removed the lights. They said it was because the lights posed a hazard due to their age but I am a close friend to one of the NRP officers writing the tickets and he said that was just a cover story because the state didn't want to let it get out that their sanctuary state was importing crime...

Ask him the real reason.

rbird7282

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 6, 2012
    Columbia
    DNR seems to always be behind the curve. They’ve said the rockfish spawn numbers have been low for the last five years and all of the sudden they’re passing emergency regulations. A quicker more gradual approach might work better but it seems like they wait until the circumstances are more dire before they act

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

LAC_MD

Oct 18, 2022
    Towson
    With the way man harvest every natural resource many species are in trouble from crabs to weakfish to bass to menhaden… technology is making it so much easier and the amount of waste is astounding. We need to find a better balance. The bass stocks are not in dire straits yet. But more restrictions are on the horizon. There was a recovery target set that we are not meeting and it requires drastic cuts to achieve. Personally I think we should restart the hatchery program we had during the moratorium..

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Nelsonbencasey

Latest threads

Top Bottom