• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • jjones88

Apr 4, 2013
    Sykesville
    So I landed a pretty weird sportarized MAS 36.

Got everything to actually save her and convert her back to original configuration.

Any ideas on actually getting the barrel off? My Google-fu hasn't found anything other than others asking about an original barrel.

It's soaked in Kroil almost a week and I'm not budging it.

Boom Boom

Hold my beer. Watch this.
    Jul 16, 2010
    Carroll
    I believe the barrel unscrews counterclockwise, looking from the front. Might need heat to remove. Previous owner/Bubba might have used red threadlocker.

jjones88

Apr 4, 2013
    Sykesville
    Action bolt side up it goes CCW?

Unsure that it was ever done by "bubba", looks like it was a company run (not Classic) who made these sporters and kept them in 7.5 French. Barrel was cut but doesn't look like it was ever removed.

Boom Boom

Hold my beer. Watch this.
    Jul 16, 2010
    Carroll
    Watch this video, starting at about 2m15s. If the threads have rust, you might need to get the receiver really hot to break the barrel loose.

Doco Overboard

Ultimate Member
    I would make a wrench for that by forming a U shaped steel bar to fit the action ring and of an adequate length to wind up below the action with a slot that would accept a wedge shaped steel bar. When you insert the wedge, you remove the slack from the strap you formed and then to a stout round piece of stock of a sufficient length to get a purchase on. Just make sure the magazine walls are reinforced to counter the strain that will be applied. Position the barrel reinforce in a barrel vise or shop press with hardwood blocks in a way that you can use your body weight to rapidly apply the motion needed to break the action loose, ie cat like body drop with arms locked and with your rigging done in a way that nothing moves except the action.
    I have text that indicates 16 V type threads .980 diameter. Thats pretty fine threads for the most part, just keep in mind its probably to about 40-65 some odd ft.lbs. tight and been on there since 1936 maybe. I cant tell if that auxiliary ring is present on your yours or not but if you can get that out of the way and do not have a need to salvage the old barrel you can part it off on a lathe or make a cut around the circumference of the barrel about halfway through crush area of the barrel in front of the receiver with a hacksaw. Bad news for the old barrel but you may nearly able to remove the barrel by hand. something else you can do is capture the barrel and when you have some sort of wrench secured to the barrel, let it hang with some weight applied but not so tight that the action ring gets warped or stressed like if the wrench is bolted together tight. And continue to use a penetrant like kroil. The problem with most universal action wrenches is that they are designed so they are relatively tight in regard to how much they open up and you have a uniquely designed rifle.
    Pictures would be a help

jjones88

Apr 4, 2013
    Sykesville
    Good points Doco.

I do not have the auxiliary ring present on mine. Just the action ring with the slot. I attempted (because an AR-15 multi-tool actually fits) to use that with a cheater bar and found out that the barrel steel is extremely soft. I've got plenty of steel laying around I'll see if I can design a wrench.

I'll try to get some pictures tonight if I remember, but I'm at the thought point that a strap or "universal" is safest at this point. Something that cradles the entire barrel.

I don't need the barrel or to even salvage it, just want the action (have another original full-length barrel to slap on when I'm done. Though I've thought of having it reamed to .308 since its already trashed to make the rifle cheaper to shoot.

Doco Overboard

Ultimate Member
    That ring I'm talking about may or no be part of the design, I'm thinking out loud trying to help.
    It would be a shame to destroy the old barrel by parting it, the only advantage to that is being able to avoid damage or stress during disassembly. Lesser of two evils sort of thing.
    It more than likely will come right apart once you find a way to hold the barrel securely and capture the action so you can apply the right amount of force.
    Your right, barrel steel is soft so it's easy to manufacture and it can be marred easily.
    There may be another way to get purchase on the action through the use of a lug. Look at the wrench I made for the krag rifle in the gunsmithing thread.

K-43

West of Morning Side
    Oct 20, 2010
    PG
    A regular barrel vise or blocks of oak in a press should work like any other rifle. I have no clue about an action though, it is odd.

jjones88

Apr 4, 2013
    Sykesville
    and here is an image from the underside.

That ring is a part of the barrel. Threads to the left.

029.JPG

Doco Overboard

Ultimate Member
    Maybe the way to attack this one is to hold the action in the press and turn the barrel off with two pieces of stock clamped across the machined surfaces of the barrel reinforce. Is there a machined surface on the top of the barrel?
    Like a four way log wrench, OR you need an inside wrench.

jjones88

Apr 4, 2013
    Sykesville
    both sides have a flat machined surface. I've been hesitant to put the action on the press, but that might be the easier way. Plan to attack this weekend again.

Doco Overboard

Ultimate Member
    Im already messing you up with the barrel nut and became confused. Just go slow and use the best tooling you can get. Whatever route you go, the tools need to have a little mass and the parts that are being held should not be allowed to move unless you want them to and no slipping. The post I lost had specific info for what your trying to do. It seems that barrel nut could act just like barrel nut on a savage. I think there is more than likely one or more methods method of assembly.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    tyreseveronica

Latest threads

Top Bottom