• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • bigmancrisler

2A Preacher
    Jun 4, 2020
    Martinsburg, WV
    Those are definitely some great rifles OP & Combloc. All I can add is this very pretty MAS 36 came from a GB auction back in 2013. They were reasonably priced then - not anymore. I easily found some PRVI factory ammo, reloading die and brass then. Good luck these days. Since they fire 308/309 bullets, reloading was easy.

This one gets out to a Hooligan shoot once in a great while. And we do enjoy how well it shoots.

:)

Wow that’s a gorgeous piece!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

EODJoe

Sic Semper Tyrannis
    Jan 15, 2013
    Carroll County
    Victorville desert area: I got my POS 2wd Ranger stuck in sand out there once while roaming around and shooting jacks, early 90's. I was working on getting it unstuck when I heard a God awful roar out of the blue. WTF is that? Looked left/right and saw nothing but something caught my eye and I looked up. B-1 bomber with bomb bay doors open flying overhead. IDK how low it was but I could see details inside the bomb bay. It was all normal desert sounds (pretty much wind, very quiet) till it was right over me.

I like to chit myself thinking I stumbled on a live range, got that F'r truck unstuck quick and hauled ass out of there. Pilots were likely laughing their asses off.

Interesting place back then, abandoned homesteads, miles and miles of dirt roads with nobody to see for miles and miles. Chit hot in the summer but not too bad otherwise.

I used to spend a lot of time on the ranges at Ft. Irwin. A bunch of us would camp out on the BLM land outside the base. We had a few old gold mine sites that we liked to use for camping. You could pretty much shoot anywhere out there. I had a Jeep Cherokee that took me all over the place. A lot of fun. That might be the only thing I miss about California.

Jul 1, 2012
    Those are definitely some great rifles OP & Combloc. All I can add is this very pretty MAS 36 came from a GB auction back in 2013. They were reasonably priced then - not anymore.

Cheese and crackers, you aren't kidding.... this didn't last more than a couple of hours on Legacy's website. And with a mis-matched bolt.

Attachments

• mas36.jpg
      mas36.jpg
      19.9 KB · Views: 134

j8064

Garrett Co Hooligan #1
    Feb 23, 2008
    Deep Creek
    Cheese and crackers, you aren't kidding.... this didn't last more than a couple of hours on Legacy's website. And with a mis-matched bolt.

Times, people and prices have definitely gotten crazy. :crazy: Back in 2013 I wasn't looking for a MAS 36 but stumbled on the GB auction. The rifle was different, C&R, never been issued and nobody else was bidding on it.

I thought the price was a little high then but it was an impulse. Sometimes you gotta trust your gut...

:D

Attachments

• GB Auction Capture.jpg
      GB Auction Capture.jpg
      40 KB · Views: 133

mawkie

C&R Whisperer
    Sep 28, 2007
    Catonsville
    I just watched a pre-war MAS 36 sell for over $2K earlier in the week. It was a nice example but not outstanding. Cheese and crackers indeed!

Jimbob2.0

Ultimate Member
    Feb 20, 2008
    When you let it go for an obscene profit feel free to send a generous gift to the awesome friend who turned you onto it!! :rolleyes:

I think I paid $105 for my36/51 circa late 90s just out of wrap. Surplus rifles such a good investment but they take up so much space!

Jimbob2.0

Ultimate Member
    Feb 20, 2008
    I can store some for ya

That was Harrisburg back in the day, same show walked away with a M44 rebuild in the mummy and a really ugly Turkish Mauser with Bayo. Think I was in less than $200 for all of them.

Little did I know at the time when I passed on a stack of in the mummy Enfields from the same dealer and $400 Mini-14 LEO turn ins with the Ateam style flashier and folding Ruger stock. Sigh the good old days and I had no money.

bigmancrisler

2A Preacher
    Jun 4, 2020
    Martinsburg, WV
    That was Harrisburg back in the day, same show walked away with a M44 rebuild in the mummy and a really ugly Turkish Mauser with Bayo. Think I was in less than $200 for all of them.

Little did I know at the time when I passed on a stack of in the mummy Enfields from the same dealer and $400 Mini-14 LEO turn ins with the Ateam style flashier and folding Ruger stock. Sigh the good old days and I had no money.

Sounds the exact same sentiment as the how to pay for mg thread. If only I had been around back then….

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    ObsidianCC

Latest threads

Top Bottom