• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Eviljagtech

Infected w/ Freedom
    Jan 24, 2010
    Harpers Ferry, WV
    I putting to buy a house in Harpers Ferry, near Shanondale area and was wondering if there were any bad stories from the area.

Also, I'm having issue's finding information on taxes and cars as property tax.

Do they check for cat converters on your car during car inspections or just look for exhaust leaks. (Yes all my cars have Cat's, meow)

Is there any place that sells real Charcoal? Not store brand crap, but real old fashion charcoal lump from wood. (been watching dirty jobs again lol)

Is Ice Cream REAL the state food?

molonlabe

Ultimate Member
    May 7, 2005
    Mountaineer Country, WV
    All the DMV info is here.
    http://www.dmv.org/wv-west-virginia/
    Getting a license can be a challenge especially for wife's who might have had a previous marriage. You need the divorce decrees from each divorce. Nothing for you because you don't change your name. Constitution carry starts on the 24 th as long as you are not prohibited you don't need a carry license. If you want to carry in reciprocal states you can pick up the permit at the sheriff's department after proving residency for 100 bucks.
    There is no emission inspections but a yearly safety inspection that can be had in any authorized station it's about 12 bucks.
    Property tax can be found on whatever county courthouse is serving your county. Ask the current owner we did.
    I think the state food is pepperoni rolls. They made a big stink about it when sheets said they would not be buying locally.
    http://www.wvculture.org/goldenseal/spring06/pepperoni.html

You need to carefully investigate the area you are moving into. I retired and have a hospital, college, law enforcement along with state police near me, city water and sewage. You can check crime statistics in your area. There are great areas and you can go one mountain over and be in a terribly depressed area with drugs, crime and unemployment thanks to the EPA and Saudies shutting down a lot of the coal and gas industry. You need to do your due dilligance there.
    Start here. There are better sites.
    http://www.spotcrime.com/wv/harpers+ferry
    The thefts I see occurring during the winter would seem to indicate unattended cabins.

Eviljagtech

Infected w/ Freedom
    Jan 24, 2010
    Harpers Ferry, WV
    When in comes to looking for crime in the area in moving to i doesn't show up, the highest I found was 3 crimes total all petty theft stuff. One site rated places from 1 to 100, were I am now rates a 2, but thats takoma park for you. This place rates 73 out of 100 and that number seemed a little to good to be true. I have lived in NY, IL, FL and MD in not so nice parts so when I look at numbers that good I think something is up. TY for the DMV info it helped a lot, now I have to dig out my Birth Cert lol, my as well apply for the CCW for out of state, and my passport while I am at it.

I just happy ill be able to order, buy and make all the toys MD would not let me.

ADR

Ultimate Member
    Aug 17, 2011
    When in comes to looking for crime in the area in moving to i doesn't show up, the highest I found was 3 crimes total all petty theft stuff. One site rated places from 1 to 100, were I am now rates a 2, but thats takoma park for you. This place rates 73 out of 100 and that number seemed a little to good to be true. I have lived in NY, IL, FL and MD in not so nice parts so when I look at numbers that good I think something is up. TY for the DMV info it helped a lot, now I have to dig out my Birth Cert lol, my as well apply for the CCW for out of state, and my passport while I am at it.

I just happy ill be able to order, buy and make all the toys MD would not let me.

They have a fair amount of narcotics related/narcotics driven crimes and the associated theft of property that goes along with it. Nothing like you're used to but it's definitely there.

Eviljagtech

Infected w/ Freedom
    Jan 24, 2010
    Harpers Ferry, WV
    They have a fair amount of narcotics related/narcotics driven crimes and the associated theft of property that goes along with it. Nothing like you're used to but it's definitely there.

Well at my price point without going house poor is a townhouse in Manasses Park, or southern Manasses area, so that is what I'm comparing it too really. Plus distance from my job. I am getting the feeling that the "crime" problem in WV is really normal crime levels that really low crime area's call high. Plus I am allowed to defend myself there.

Put the offer in so I'm jumping feet first lol.

Eviljagtech

Infected w/ Freedom
    Jan 24, 2010
    Harpers Ferry, WV

So.... CCW my .357 magnum instead of my 9mm? Works for me

My choices were Manassas which has a major gang and illegal issue, or VA bordering WV, which would be further from work then WV, cost more and has higher crime, from what info i found online than the mountains of WV at least this area.

MD was out of the question as I moved from NY to MD to get away from Liberals and after living 2 years down the street from U-M there doesn't seem to be much hope. I have lived under worse, I'm not sticking around to find out if Frosh and his cronies can do worse. Been in MD for 15 years, so I have seen enough to know bad things are coming.

photoracer

Competition Shooter
    Oct 22, 2010
    West Virginia
    Welcome from another refugee from MD. Lived in MD from 1973-2014 and I have seen the climate there change radically during that time. When I got a government contract job in WV I knew I would eventually move over here. And likely soon retire here as well.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Mikeymike88

Latest threads

Top Bottom