• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • msrw

Apr 3, 2019
    MD
    I'm a relatively new arrival in MD and hold a W&C HP. I noticed that the statute listed below is written differently than similar statutes in other states that prohibit greater than ten round magazines. It appears to be written to specifically NOT prohibit possession and use, only manufacture and transfer:

2020 Maryland Statutes

Criminal Law

Title 4 - Weapon Crimes

Subtitle 3 - Assault Weapons and Detachable Magazines

Section 4-305 - Detachable Magazines -- Prohibited

Universal Citation: MD. Criminal Law Code Ann. § 4-305 (2020)
    (a) This section does not apply to:
    (1) a .22 caliber rifle with a tubular magazine; or
    (2) a law enforcement officer or a person who retired in good standing from service with a law enforcement agency of the United States, the State, or any law enforcement agency in the State.

(b) A person may not manufacture, sell, offer for sale, purchase, receive, or transfer a detachable magazine that has a capacity of more than 10 rounds of ammunition for a firearm.

I wanted to ask folks who are familiar with the interpretation of the law and/or case law around 4-305....is it correct to interpret 4-305 to mean that one can legally possess and use large capacity magazines in MD as long as they were received prior to moving to MD or were not purchased here? Or is 4-305 interpreted by the courts and law enforcement to mean that possession and use are also against the law?

Thanks!

joppaj

Sheepdog
    Staff member
    Apr 11, 2008
    MD
    Nope, you understand correctly. You can own them and use them. You can't buy, sell or make them in the state.

teratos

My hair is amazing
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 22, 2009
    Bel Air
    I'm a relatively new arrival in MD and hold a W&C HP. I noticed that the statute listed below is written differently than similar statutes in other states that prohibit greater than ten round magazines. It appears to be written to specifically NOT prohibit possession and use, only manufacture and transfer:

2020 Maryland Statutes

Criminal Law

Title 4 - Weapon Crimes

Subtitle 3 - Assault Weapons and Detachable Magazines

Section 4-305 - Detachable Magazines -- Prohibited

Universal Citation: MD. Criminal Law Code Ann. § 4-305 (2020)
    (a) This section does not apply to:
    (1) a .22 caliber rifle with a tubular magazine; or
    (2) a law enforcement officer or a person who retired in good standing from service with a law enforcement agency of the United States, the State, or any law enforcement agency in the State.

(b) A person may not manufacture, sell, offer for sale, purchase, receive, or transfer a detachable magazine that has a capacity of more than 10 rounds of ammunition for a firearm.

I wanted to ask folks who are familiar with the interpretation of the law and/or case law around 4-305....is it correct to interpret 4-305 to mean that one can legally possess and use large capacity magazines in MD as long as they were received prior to moving to MD or were not purchased here? Or is 4-305 interpreted by the courts and law enforcement to mean that possession and use are also against the law?

Thanks!
    You can’t do anything listed in the statute. Possession is not prohibited. You can also drive to any surrounding states, buy any magazine you want, and bring it back.

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    Nope, you understand correctly. You can own them and use them. You can't buy, sell or make them in the state.
    Well, if you use one in the commission of a crime, the possession/use in the crime is a criminal charge.

So long as you are otherwise being law abiding possession of a "high capacity magazine" is totally legal.

motorcoachdoug

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    What you could do, is take a trip down to Leesburg,VA from Monkey, take Rt 28 to the point of rocks bridge cross over as you are now on VA rt15 and take that into Leesburg to a couple of gun stores that sell them then take a nice drive back. It might take about 45 min to an hour each way depending on where you live as well. Of course I deny any knowledge of said trip being made but from what I ah observed its a nice drive on Rt 15 thru some really nice farm country with a few horse farms thrown in as well.:innocent0:D

TopTechAgent

MDS Supporter
    Nov 30, 2012
    Mooresville, NC

To be a little more clear you may not “transfer” them. Which would include buying ,selling , trading , gifting . While in MD.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

scottyfz6

Ultimate Member
    Dec 22, 2018
    What you could do, is take a trip down to Leesburg,VA
    Or do what I do is drive 20 mins to a friends house in PA and pick up boxes that contain mags that hold more than 10 rounds.

Although there is a loop hole backed up by the state police years ago. If you go to another state and buy lots of >10 round mags, you can mail them to yourself as there is no transfer happening. As long as you had possession of them before you physically mail them. Yes I might have driven cross country years ago with a box in the trunk that I put mags in as I found deals and them mailed them home from vegas. I also might have brought home another box filled by the time I came back. ( not enough room in the car for 2 boxes worth)

teratos

My hair is amazing
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 22, 2009
    Bel Air
    To be a little more clear you may not “transfer” them. Which would include buying ,selling , trading , gifting . While in MD.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    What if you find one on the side of the road?

Blaster229

God loves you, I don't.
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 14, 2010
    Glen Burnie
    What if you laid some down on a desk at a get together, walked away, and someone took them when you weren't looking?

rickyp

Ultimate Member
    Sep 13, 2009
    From my understanding you can buy rebuild kits in md then use these kits to rebuild damaged mags you already have in your possession, but if you use that kit to build a new magazine you must take it out of md to fully put it together. Is this correct?

teratos

My hair is amazing
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 22, 2009
    Bel Air
    From my understanding you can buy rebuild kits in md then use these kits to rebuild damaged mags you already have in your possession, but if you use that kit to build a new magazine you must take it out of md to fully put it together. Is this correct?
    Correct

joppaj

Sheepdog
    Staff member
    Apr 11, 2008
    MD
    Can a non-exempt private citizen transfer these mags to an FFL? I assume not but don't know.

joppaj

Sheepdog
    Staff member
    Apr 11, 2008
    MD
    Thank you. Years ago I was selling some 10/22 mags through GunBroker. I drove to VA to mail them just to be sure that nobody could say I transferred them (to USPS) in MD. BGOS is real.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Scooby225

Latest threads

Top Bottom