• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • BigCountry14

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 17, 2013
    Yes they got shut down by the feds and opened up as Just Guns. The original owner was ok and so was Jeff one of the employees and the one other guy. Then the owner let his son run the place. Yeah he ran it into the ground. He chased customers away and had the personality of a bag of rocks. I bought quite a bit from them in the early years
    Jim Sr was a good friend of my dad and always did right by me. A good number of the guns in my safe came from OC and then Just Guns. When he got sick and Jr started running the show, it went down hill fast. My final straw was when one of the employees wanted to argue with me over a shotgun I was looking for for my father. Mossberg made a side by side that he really wanted and this guy argued up and down with me that Mossberg didn't make side by sides, even after I had talked to Sr on the phone about it. He told me Sr had no idea what he was talking about. When he finally pulled out the catalog and saw that they did, in fact make them, I told him where he could stick the catalog and never went back again. It was a shame, I really liked dealing with Sr..

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

BigCountry14

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 17, 2013
    I like Cooters in Forest Hill, I've purchased a few items there. Martin is a good guy, always has been straight with me about pricing and costs.

Bel Air Gun Range has been good since the name change. I made a few purchases there in recent years. Most of the staff is pretty good to deal with. I was caught a little off guard on my last one there though. Sent a transfer to them and they charged $50 for the transfer. I swear it was only $25 the week before.

Bowman guns in Darlington was a cool little backyard shop. Dale was a nice guy and held onto the handgun I won in an NRA raffle for me until it got on the roster. Only charged $10 for the transfer. Shop has limited hours and is a bit of a drive for me though.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

'04 Cummins

Defenestrator
    Never buy from Cooter’s. See owner’s editorial letter posted in the Baltimore Sun from several years ago:

Editor:
    The purpose of my letter is to disagree with a statement made by Sheriff Jeff Gahler in the Friday article, "A New Sheriff in Town." In the article, it says Gahler wants to remove the training requirement provision from the Maryland State Police regulations for handgun qualifying licenses.

The training requirements mandated by the Firearms Safety Act of 2013, while not perfect, are the only sane thing in that new law. Prior to its inception, the only requirement for purchasing a regulated firearm in Maryland was to watch an on-line video. Frankly speaking, it was a joke. The new law requires a four hour program of instruction by a State Police qualified firearms instructor. One part of the program of instruction is the minimum requirement to demonstrate the ability to handle, load and safely fire a handgun. It is to fire one round of ammunition. Whoever thought this up should be examined for diminished mental capacity. This is woefully inadequate. Instead of advocating for the removal of the training requirement, Sheriff Gahler should advocate for an improvement to the program of instruction requirements.
    As a responsible firearm owner, the individual should have a demonstrated proficiency in all aspects of firearms ownership. It is no different than someone seeking to obtain a driver's license, either for a car or motorcycle. Both require a great deal more time, cost and the successful passing of a demonstrated skills test than the handgun qualifying license requirements.

An individual seeking to purchase a handgun should welcome the opportunity for training. Americans enjoy a Right that citizens of many other countries do not - the Right to own firearms. But, with this Right comes responsibilities. It is the firearms owner's responsibility to safely store, operate, and maintain their firearm. Also, it is the firearms owners' responsibility to learn and obey all applicable laws that pertain to the purchase, possession, and use of a firearm in their locale. Firearms are neither safe nor unsafe by themselves. When firearms owners learn and practice responsible firearms ownership, firearms are safe. The knowledge and skills comes from proper training, which the handgun qualifying license program of instruction provides. However, it does need tweaking.

I am by far not a fan of governmental infringement or regulation into many aspects of citizen's lives. In the case of the handgun qualifying license and the other training requirements in Firearms Safety Act of 2013, however, I am a big proponent. This is not because I am a State Police and NRA qualified firearms instructor who teaches the classes, or a Maryland regulated firearms dealer and federal firearms licensee, but because it is sound policy. I would hope Sheriff Gahler would reconsider his position.

Curtis E. Croom

Last edited:

robmints

Ultimate Member
    Jan 20, 2011
    I like jLowe and Best Pawn. I went to Duffy a while back and could not have asked for a better purchase experience.

sickpuppyz

your mom sends me care packages
    Jun 14, 2020
    MoCo
    re: Engage Armament:

Not sure about their Cerakote service. I inquired and ws told a min. 6 week wait. I asked if there is a list to get on. Was told to just leave the gun with them. For 6+ weeks? Why? Smart way to do it is have list and notify customers to bring their firearm in a few days/ 1 week before their turn.

russ498

Feb 8, 2021
    Pasadena, MD 21122
    I’ll go with worst in my experience: Pasadena Pawn & Gun- attitude first time I stopped in when they were new prevented a return visit, Select Fire- seems decent now so far as Cindy’s Hot Shots, Clyde’s - attitude issues and general disinterest in my money.

I have to disagree. This is my go to shop. They treated me great the first time I walked in and every time since. The only thing I will say is they don't suffer fools lightly. If you're a novice and you tell them that they will take you under their wing and show you the way. If you're a novice and act like a know it all, they will put you in your place. It's my kind of place to hang out.

59f100292

May 20, 2012
    A good friend recently went to purchase a gun from Bollingers in Tawneytown. They had it priced at $575. They wouldn't budge on price. The next day he went to Engage and bought an identical gun for $430. Seems like Bollingers is in full on gouge mode.

teratos

My hair is amazing
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 22, 2009
    Bel Air
    AVOID Duffy's like the plague. Vince keeps texting me pictures of machine guns and Lugers. It's not going to end well. Yeah, they treat you really well and all.....

I use The Gun Shop, too. Never a bad experience.

Trigger Time

Amazed
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 23, 2013
    I’ll go with worst in my experience: Pasadena Pawn & Gun- attitude first time I stopped in when they were new prevented a return visit,.
    I agree, these guys haven't changed much, they really are a stain on the whole community. They must base their whole business on one time customers.

Last edited:

PowPow

Where's the beef?
    Nov 22, 2012
    Howard County
    AVOID Duffy's like the plague. Vince keeps texting me pictures of machine guns and Lugers. It's not going to end well. Yeah, they treat you really well and all.....

I'll never forget the time he gave me and my bud empty mags and told us to load them up. We complied. Shortly thereafter, the mags came back empty. I was very tempted to drop ~$40K on something that day.

teratos

My hair is amazing
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 22, 2009
    Bel Air
    I'll never forget the time he gave me and my bud empty mags and told us to load them up. We complied. Shortly thereafter, the mags came back empty. I was very tempted to drop ~$40K on something that day.

Sounds about right. Dammit. I may be having some cash soon. I’ll be making a Duffy’s trip.

dblas

Past President, MSI
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 6, 2011
    Sounds about right. Dammit. I may be having some cash soon. I’ll be making a Duffy’s trip.

My father passing last year scares me, once the estate closes (Who know when), I know Vince will continue to temp me damn it.

rockstarr

Major Deplorable
    Feb 25, 2013
    The Bolshevik Lands
    The difference in folks experience varies wildly place to place. My advice, go where ever has what you’re looking for at the best price, until you have a bad experience.

At that point , don’t shop there again :)

smokey

2A TEACHER
    Jan 31, 2008
    Around annapolis(within about a half hour or so drive), where would you go for the least expensive transfer for an AR lower... or what place has lowers in stock? Anglers said an ar lower is about $70 to transfer. I like the folks over at worth a shot, but haven't checked on their transfer costs yet. Same with on target. Anywhere cheaper or is $70 about the going rate for a 77r transfer?

rockstarr

Major Deplorable
    Feb 25, 2013
    The Bolshevik Lands
    Around annapolis(within about a half hour or so drive), where would you go for the least expensive transfer for an AR lower... or what place has lowers in stock? Anglers said an ar lower is about $70 to transfer. I like the folks over at worth a shot, but haven't checked on their transfer costs yet. Same with on target. Anywhere cheaper or is $70 about the going rate for a 77r transfer?

Some of the “transfer fees” ip’s charge are ridiculous in my opinion. Now they are about to get a whole lot richer with this veto override on private sales as well.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Nelsonbencasey

Latest threads

Top Bottom