• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Nicholas A.

Feb 23, 2013
    Montgomery county
    I had recently gotten a used AK and was wondering if there is possibly a gunsmith that could be recommended that would give the gun a once over and general cleaning. While I haven't fired it as of yet, I just prefer to know that everything is in proper working order before taking it to the range or the like.

xdwaiter

Prodigy
    Feb 9, 2013
    hagerstown
    Join AK files and ask people here wont give a shit because your post number...
    You could call haffers gun shop in williamsport that's were I bought mine but if you have questions I may be able to help

DaemonAssassin

Why should we Free BSD?
    Jun 14, 2012
    Political refugee in WV
    I had recently gotten a used AK and was wondering if there is possibly a gunsmith that could be recommended that would give the gun a once over and general cleaning. While I haven't fired it as of yet, I just prefer to know that everything is in proper working order before taking it to the range or the like.

Here is a suggestion. Don't listen to the guy above me, he has butthurt for some reason. Post count doesn't matter when it comes to other members actively interacting with other members when they ask questions. We were all new here at one point and had a low post count.

You can take it to Scott's Gunsmithing in Glen Burnie, they are an IP here.
    http://www.mdshooters.com/forumdisplay.php?f=131

Bollinger's Gunsmithing and Sales is an IP too.
    http://www.mdshooters.com/forumdisplay.php?f=159

A buddy had Glade Valley build his AK. They do some good work, check the link for hours and location in Frederick.
    http://www.gunsunlimited.com/

Sling1

Provocative Interloper
    Nov 25, 2009
    Frederick
    You could also take it to Engage Armament on Gude Dr. The are an IP and you could shoot them a PM to get and an idea of back log and a price.

joppaj

Sheepdog
    Staff member
    Apr 11, 2008
    MD

I'd send a message to midcountygunshop. He's over on the Shore, but he's a good IP and a heck of an AK guy. Scott's Gunsmithing is also an IP and member Clandestine is one of their smiths. They're closer to you, but I THINK the last I'd read is that they had a pretty substantial backlog. Send them a pm too though and they should be able to give you better info.

Silverlode

Ultimate Member
    Aug 16, 2010
    Frederick
    You could call haffers gun shop in williamsport that's were I bought mine but if you have questions I may be able to help

All of the above, except for this guy. I have heard from a lot of people that Glade Valley does nice AK builds. Engage might be a no brainer though because they are in MoCo. All are good recommendations.

rob-cubed

In need of moderation
    Sep 24, 2009
    Holding the line in Baltimore
    If you are worried about safety, all you really need are a set of headspace gauges and a simple trigger function check to make sure the disconnector is working properly. If you lived a little closer to Baltimore I'd offer to help you out.

If it's an older AK that's clearly been shot a bit, it would probably be a good idea to replace the recoil spring... real simple to do.

Most good AK smiths I could recommend are quite busy, good luck!

Nicholas A.

Feb 23, 2013
    Montgomery county
    Engage is a good place, I'll give them a call since I had my AK shipped there for the FFL transfer. Thank you for the suggestions, while my numbers are low just means I'm still new and learning the ropes

Dogabutila

Ultimate Member
    Dec 21, 2010
    Engage is nice. I use them for all purchases. Period. They are that good at customer service. I don't know that their smiths are actually certified smiths though. I would (did) take my AK down to scott's and had chad/clandestine do the work for me. He does good work. I don't say that lightly. It takes a while to get your firearm back, but that's what happens when you are a good smith. Everybody wants you to look at their stuff.

FFBWMD

Industry Partner
    Oct 3, 2011
    Woodbine MD
    I 2nd Glade Valley, Rick is a friend of mine and does good work on AK's. His prices are usually very reasonable. 301-631-9048

Kashmir1008

MSI Executive Member
    Mar 21, 2009
    Carroll County

Whatever, the only time new / low post count folks get a hard time here is when one of their first posts is something stupid like "can I get around the law by.....?" Or "how can I make my gun full auto?" Or some such asinine comment.

I think a lot of the smiths in the area are pretty backed up work wise. That said, I've used R. A. Brown before ( out here in Carroll Co.) good guy.

Good luck, welcome to the forum and enjoy the AK.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    cfreeman818

Latest threads

Top Bottom