• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    Today ( Mon) my friend and co-worker ( not member here ) who applied at same time with me had his interview. He was origionally going to around the same time as me , but he was sick that week and couldn't make it. End of the year cleanup of applications ?

Same Sr Trooper as my inter view , but this time over TELEPHONE .

Basically confirmed the application questions. Asked about training ( thought he had included a copy of recent certificate , but explain what and how frequently requalified ). Asked what would carry ( not purchased yet , but qualified and carryed xyz ) .

Is this a move (return) to phone Interviews , or an expedient to get the last few cleared before end of the year ?

MdGunFiend

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Jul 26, 2012
    Today ( Mon) my friend and co-worker ( not member here ) who applied at same time with me had his interview. He was origionally going to around the same time as me , but he was sick that week and couldn't make it. End of the year cleanup of applications ?

Same Sr Trooper as my inter view , but this time over TELEPHONE .

Basically confirmed the application questions. Asked about training ( thought he had included a copy of recent certificate , but explain what and how frequently requalified ). Asked what would carry ( not purchased yet , but qualified and carryed xyz ) .

Is this a move (return) to phone Interviews , or an expedient to get the last few cleared before end of the year ?

cant believe they are still doing phone interviews

the face to face is best to at least have a glimpse and visual mindset of the person getting the permit

and they just randomly call you? what if u werent home?

i would think phone interviews would be way easier than the normal face to face,if simply not for being nervous

Taurus85

Jun 25, 2011
    Rosedale, MD
    Well they are. I did my ccw app. on March 8th. and I just had my phone interview on December 5th. This was the first time MSP call me. He also spoke to my wife. He said he called my references and could not reach them. He gave me two phone numbers and asked if I could called them and have them call him.. They did and and advis me of same. Just routine questions. He did a short phone interview with me and my wife and said he call back in a week.. He called on Decembere 7th and went over application and said everything was ok and that he be sending CCW appa. to licenseing department after his supervisor reviewed it. He also said that they werev clearing or cathing up on all filed applications. He was aware of pending court action in VA. He was very positive on citizens obtaining CCW's.. This was the first and only time MSP has contacted me.

Straightshooter

Ultimate Member
    Aug 28, 2010
    Baltimore County
    cant believe they are still doing phone interviews

the face to face is best to at least have a glimpse and visual mindset of the person getting the permit

and they just randomly call you? what if u werent home?

i would think phone interviews would be way easier than the normal face to face,if simply not for being nervous

So, you can tell if someone is a deviant just buy looking at and talking them for a few minutes?

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    My friend asked when would be good for him to come to Barracks , but SrTroop sugguested phone interview.

MdGunFiend

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Jul 26, 2012
    So, you can tell if someone is a deviant just buy looking at and talking them for a few minutes?

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

You can make a good guess as if at least they are halfway normal. If something appeared to the trooper as odd visually, they could simply do further investigation after the interview to make sure they are not a wacko is all in saying.

You might could catch on to a lot of things in face to face interview, which simply leads to more thorough investigation. otherwise what is point in doing any type of interview if you aren't looking for something?

Merlin

Ultimate Member
    Dec 31, 2009
    Carroll County, Maryland
    shooter in Oregon looked ok... landlord said he was a nice kid. Don't see anything wrong there but obviously there was.

And that goes to show way it is important to look into the persons eyes if your looking for something. Because it is that very hard to see. Can you imagine how hard it is if they only call?

But what about the people where it is very too see but hard to tell on the phone? If you owned a business do you think it is better to hire someone over the phone or meet them in person?

If your a dad to a young girl, would you like to meet the new boy friend or would you be OK with just saying hi on the phone? Or maybe just take your child's word for it that they are OK?

No you can't ALWAYS tell. but if your a halfway good judge of people you might be able to tell something. You can tell who you want in your house and who you don't. Will you make a mistake? Sure, sometimes.

But nothing is perfect. Maybe the people who thought they were OK never really looked.

Merlin

Ultimate Member
    Dec 31, 2009
    Carroll County, Maryland
    My friend asked when would be good for him to come to Barracks , but SrTroop sugguested phone interview.

Do you think that may be because the trooper thinks your friend will not be getting it anyway until this case in the 4th is over? I would be will to guess that if we do win this case in the 4th and MD has to stop using G&S, the MSP may sit on the apps for the sake of not making you pay the $75 app fee over again. But I bet because of the time that has passed they may require the Live scan check over again and a closer look at everyone over again. especially the people that only received phone interviews.

I'm just saying and guessing.

dlmcbm

Ultimate Member
    Mar 5, 2011
    Sabillasville, Md.
    And that goes to show way it is important to look into the persons eyes if your looking for something. Because it is that very hard to see. Can you imagine how hard it is if they only call?

But what about the people where it is very too see but hard to tell on the phone? If you owned a business do you think it is better to hire someone over the phone or meet them in person?

If your a dad to a young girl, would you like to meet the new boy friend or would you be OK with just saying hi on the phone? Or maybe just take your child's word for it that they are OK?

No you can't ALWAYS tell. but if your a halfway good judge of people you might be able to tell something. You can tell who you want in your house and who you don't. Will you make a mistake? Sure, sometimes.

But nothing is perfect. Maybe the people who thought they were OK never really looked.

I understand where you are coming from. I agree it is better to see them in person but you can not deny someone there right because you don't like the way they look. How would you right that up in a report. Um.. the guy looked a little nervous and he had brown eye's....I don't like brown eyes. As a matter a fact I have 3 girls. NO ONE has a right to date them so I can be and will be as tough as I want on any proposed boyfriends.

Any you need to open your eyes. There is nothing about that shooter that looked OK. The guy looked as wacky as the day is long.

I see nothing different about this guy as half the people I pass in a day. Once again you can not deny someones right because of the way they look. I know some pretty freaky looking people that are the kindest most gentle people you know. You need to open up the book to see whats inside hence the background check. If it's OK there is not much more you can do.

MdGunFiend

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Jul 26, 2012
    So blind people can apply for a gun permit too?since as long as they can talk they can pass a telephone interview....

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    This kind of thing was discussed a lot, about 100 pages ago.

( Without bothering to discuss the huge rates of False Positives and False Negatives with "well know it when we see it in person" and " because we felt like it" )

It's a matter of logistics , manpower , and at some point expense. Under the methods of the Old Scheme MSP could barely deal with aprox 3K apps/ year . Even with signifigent juggling , rehiring retirees , and new hires it's taking 9 months to Deal with a 3 week chunk of "nontraditional" applicants. Once the gates open 50K applications in first is a very low estimate. Which would entail a processing time of years, or require reassigning the majority of rank and file Troopers to Permit duty instead of (everything else) .

The overwhelming majority of Shall Issue states primarily use fingerprint and computer checks . And it works , and blood doesn't run in the streets. No reason to be having interviews unless there is some specific issue that requires indepth followup.

Yes people who want to date Biggfootette, enter into business or contractual relations , or give me a personal check , etc get the hairy eyeball. But none of those are a fundamental right, and I am not a Government.

Brychan

Ultimate Member
    Apr 24, 2009
    Baltimore
    Just finished my interview over the phone with a very nice trooper from the Golden Ring barracks. Basic questions including what I might carry, told him being a collector I have several choices, and I would see what felt the best. As for phone vs in person I prefer not having to travel for a 10-15 minute interview. If the courts decide in our favor I don' t see how they would be able to do an in person interview and take a year to get them issued. I know that for my Utah permit didn't need any kind of interview.

LCPIWB

Needs an avatar
    MDS Supporter
    Nov 17, 2011
    Underneath the blimp, Md.
    Just finished my interview over the phone with a very nice trooper from the Golden Ring barracks. Basic questions including what I might carry, told him being a collector I have several choices, and I would see what felt the best. As for phone vs in person I prefer not having to travel for a 10-15 minute interview. If the courts decide in our favor I don' t see how they would be able to do an in person interview and take a year to get them issued. I know that for my Utah permit didn't need any kind of interview.

Application receceived March 12th, 2012....
    Just called this morning by a Trooper from Golden Ring Barracks. He stated "App was just put on my desk a few days ago."
    It was a phone interview. Did not go bad, did not feel any anamosity or annoyance on the Trooper's part. He called my references before he called me, then called the house and spoke to my wife.
    Back to waiting.

uscoastiee

Apr 20, 2012
    Baltimore County
    For what its worth, I had my over the phone interview on Wednesday morning. The trooper was very easy to talk to, and asked all the typical questions that have been mentioned earlier. No screw ball or unusual questions. He called all three of my references, but didn't call my wife.

I'm not sure why they are even wasting their time right now, looks like its gonna be a while, if ever, before the high court offers a ruling.

Sent from my PG86100 using Tapatalk 2

Merlin

Ultimate Member
    Dec 31, 2009
    Carroll County, Maryland
    For what its worth, I had my over the phone interview on Wednesday morning. The trooper was very easy to talk to, and asked all the typical questions that have been mentioned earlier. No screw ball or unusual questions. He called all three of my references, but didn't call my wife.

I'm not sure why they are even wasting their time right now, looks like its gonna be a while, if ever, before the high court offers a ruling.

Sent from my PG86100 using Tapatalk 2

Their not wasting their time as far as their concerned. That's their job and you paid the required fee to have an investigation into your request. So that's what they are doing. Your file is on some troopers desk and they are doing what they have to to get it off their desk.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    loops12

Latest threads

Top Bottom