• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Tialanee

May 4, 2022
    PG County
    Hello,
    I got my Md HQL application denied because of a theft/shoplifting charge I got 20 years ago. Is it worth me appealing it? It’s ridiculous, I am not a violent person. It’s my right to want to feel safe in my own home and protect my family. Please help!

Occam

Not Even ONE Indictment
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 24, 2018
    Montgomery County
    Hello,
    I got my Md HQL application denied because of a theft/shoplifting charge I got 20 years ago. Is it worth me appealing it? It’s ridiculous, I am not a violent person. It’s my right to want to feel safe in my own home and protect my family. Please help!
    You'll need to talk to a lawyer about getting that record expunged. It will take some time and money. Once the coast is clear, try again.

The Saint

Black Powder Nerd/Resident Junk Collector
    BANNED!!!
    Dec 10, 2021
    Baltimore County
    AS posted above...it doesn't matter when it happened. If it's on a record, you'll have to get it expunged. It could have happened when you were 18 and now you're 85...real life scenario with a customer was like that. It's slow, expensive, and annoying.

KIBarrister

Opinionated Libertarian
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 10, 2013
    Kent Island/Centreville
    Md amended the expungement statutes a few years ago to allow expungement of a variety of lesser convictions. The specific crime/degree you were convicted of is important, 20 years ago would be before Md reorganized the criminal code.

cantstop

Pentultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 10, 2012
    MD
    You could appeal. As others have said, you need to get your record expunged by the court.

Your best bet is to go with a lawyer. If you can get a copy of your record first that might save a bit in lawyer fees. If you have some outstanding action in another state (failure to appear or something) that will need resolution as well.

GASSMAN

Feb 14, 2009
    If it was shoplifting it was actually a theft charge, if it was 20 years ago that would be 2002 and I believe the threshold was $300, above that was a felony, below $300 was a misdemeanor, (now it is $1,000) now many jurisdictions will throw out the more serious charge if you plea to the lesser charge, in this case, plead guilty to a misdemeanor and drop the felony, however not all will do that. Also, many people who describe shoplifting and fight with security, store manager, police etc. end up with robbery charges when they use knives weapons or threats of said items to get away. What one describes as "shoplifting" is actually robbery or theft and assault. Not saying that is what happened in your case. 20 years with no charges, who wouldn't agree with second chances, but I agree with everyone else, get it expunged, petition the courts, you could probably do it on your own with a little research, but if you can afford it, it always helps to get an attorney...

cantstop

Pentultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 10, 2012
    MD
    In Marylandistan, stealing a Glock is the same crime as stealing a Schwinn.
    That's not really true. If committed in Baltimore or one of the surrounding counties, it will be prosecuted on a strictly racist basis. If you are a white male expect to do some time at the Patuxent Institution. If you are a known 2A demonstrator, expect to be made an example of.

Of course, IANAL... Carry on.

aeubank2

Jan 30, 2022
    Hello,
    Did you appeal or get things figured out?

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    guitarsit

Latest threads

Top Bottom