Md Resident Taking a Handgun to New Jersey to Shoot.

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • LeadSled1

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 25, 2009
    MD
    I hope you are able to find the answer to this. I know when I was there I couldn’t even touch a gun in the store to look at it (it was a new model that had been just released and the first one I had seen on a shelf) without a NJ permit.

303_enfield

Ultimate Member
    May 30, 2007
    DelMarVa
    YES! I've done it with GSSF matches. No magazines over 10 rounds and no loaded magazines. Load them at the range. Bring all the ammo you need. You can't buy any or be given any unless you have a fud card.

303_enfield

Ultimate Member
    May 30, 2007
    DelMarVa
    YES! I've done it with GSSF matches. No magazines over 10 rounds and no loaded magazines. Load them at the range. Bring all the ammo you need. You can't buy any or be given any unless you have a fud card.

inkd

Ultimate Member
    Aug 4, 2009
    Ridge
    Simple question: can a Md resident take their handgun to NJ to shoot there? Does it depend on the county?
    Yes, you can. Transport it in a case, ammo separate from the gun. I am pretty sure New Jersey is a 10rd mag state. I thought they went to more than 10 for a little while but, I believe went back to 10 round mags again.

If you are planning on taking an AR up there, I would definitely do some research on that to make sure you don't bring something in that'll get you hemmed up. I don't bring any AR's home with me any more. I bring my pistols up all the time.

inkd

Ultimate Member
    Aug 4, 2009
    Ridge
    I forgot about the ammo bullshyt!!!! Good point on that one!!!

DanGuy48

Ultimate Member
    Simple question: can a Md resident take their handgun to NJ to shoot there? Does it depend on the county?
    You probably know but don’t take hollow point ammo!

”Our Criminal Code outlaws hollow nose bullets under certain circumstances. Specifically, the controlling statute, N.J.S.A. 2C:39-3, reads as follows, any person who knowingly has in his possession any hollow nose or dum-dum bullet is guilty of a crime of the fourth degree. A fourth degree offense is considered a felony and accordingly, subjects a person to possible prison time (up to 18 months) as well as a number of fines and other monetary penalties.”

inkd

Ultimate Member
    Aug 4, 2009
    Ridge
    So, by mags over 10 rounds, you mean the mags can not have a capacity over 10 rounds(I'm pretty sure that was what you were saying)?
    Yes. Magazines can not hold more than 10 rounds.

There are provisions for hollowpoint ammo but it's such a pain in the a$$ it's easiest to not bring them at all.

Where are you going up there?

inkd

Ultimate Member
    Aug 4, 2009
    Ridge
    She can absolutely shoot them!!! You can hunt with hollowpoints and target shoot with them at an accredited range. You can have them on your personal property and transport them to and from a hunting or target shooting location. With New Jersey going shall issue, my nephew is not sure about the laws regarding actual carry of hollowpoints so he carried the critical duty rounds.
    Thanks for the confirmation inkd! Daughter will be going to Jersey to shoot with her best friend. He's an ICE agent, so there will probably be some hollow points in play, just not for her.

pbharvey

Habitual Testifier
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 27, 2012

I'd like to ask an additional question: can you take a handgun to NJ for no particular reason? Say you are visiting someone.

hdatontodo

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2012
    So. Central Balto Co
    I'd like to ask an additional question: can you take a handgun to NJ for no particular reason? Say you are visiting someone.
    Here are the rules, which might not answer your question.

and

Carry to exempted locations[edit]​

There are a few exempted locations where one may carry and possess firearms. These locations are one's home, place of business, premises or land possessed, or to a gunsmith for purposes of repair. Members of rifle or pistol clubs that submit their names to the state police annually are allowed to possess and transport their firearms to "a place of target practice." Those who are not members of a rifle or pistol club can carry their firearms to "an authorized target range." One may also carry firearms to the woods or fields or waters of the state for purposes of hunting or fishing. One must have a valid hunting or fishing license and the firearms must be appropriate for hunting or fishing to be covered under this exemption.

outrider58

Cold Damp Spaces
    MDS Supporter
    Here are the rules, which might not answer your question.

and

Carry to exempted locations[edit]​

There are a few exempted locations where one may carry and possess firearms. These locations are one's home, place of business, premises or land possessed, or to a gunsmith for purposes of repair. Members of rifle or pistol clubs that submit their names to the state police annually are allowed to possess and transport their firearms to "a place of target practice." Those who are not members of a rifle or pistol club can carry their firearms to "an authorized target range." One may also carry firearms to the woods or fields or waters of the state for purposes of hunting or fishing. One must have a valid hunting or fishing license and the firearms must be appropriate for hunting or fishing to be covered under this exemption.
    Sounds like shooting fish in a barrel is legal in NJ?

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    illlocs33

Latest threads

Top Bottom