• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • OrbitalEllipses

Ultimate Member
    Jul 18, 2013
    DPR of MoCo
    Two things..

- Shooting matches is fun and easy to get into. I'd almost recommend not buying a bunch of crap until you get out there and see how it works. Each style (IDPA, 3 gun, Steel Challenge, USPSA) all require different rigs. Get a decent holster and a mag pouch if you can, but I've seen people start by sticking mags in their pockets. It's really easy to get started and is more addictive than cigarettes. After your first match you will now stay up late looking at all kinds of gear you don't need :) Trust me just get out and shoot!!!

- Like shooting cool matches?? Get used to long drives.

Hope to see some of you guys at PNTC!

I tried to look up Steel Challenge rules, but it didn't seem very 'thorough' like the USPSA rule book. I'd probably just bring my 9mm 1911 for Single Stack division Steel Challenge, but I'd have to make it up to a match sometime and see what all this is about.

davsco

Ultimate Member
    Oct 21, 2010
    Loudoun, VA
    I tried to look up Steel Challenge rules, but it didn't seem very 'thorough' like the USPSA rule book. I'd probably just bring my 9mm 1911 for Single Stack division Steel Challenge, but I'd have to make it up to a match sometime and see what all this is about.

steel challenge has very few rules; you don't have the movement, target variation and scoring, no-shoots and everything else that uspsa has. they have 8 stages and most clubs run 5 at any given match. one of the 8 has you moving from one box to another; the rest are all shot within one small box with really no movement.

each stage has 5 steel targets. buzzer sounds and you shoot all five and your time is your score. then you repeat this 4 more times, with your worst time thrown out. then you go to the next stage and repeat. the steel ranges from dinner plate-size to torso-size, with distances from roughly 10 yds to I think 50 yards.

if you're shooting a centerfire pistol, you start from your holster and draw and shoot. if you're a new guy and uncomfortable with drawing and shooting, they'll let you start low ready. with .22 rifle or pistol you start at low ready. since you only need 5 rounds per string, and just 10 if you miss everything once, one mag should get you thru one string so little to no need to reload on the clock.

super easy, super simple, a box stock gun and couple of mags (five would be great but 3 minimum) will get you going.

OrbitalEllipses

Ultimate Member
    Jul 18, 2013
    DPR of MoCo
    steel challenge has very few rules; you don't have the movement, target variation and scoring, no-shoots and everything else that uspsa has. they have 8 stages and most clubs run 5 at any given match. one of the 8 has you moving from one box to another; the rest are all shot within one small box with really no movement.

each stage has 5 steel targets. buzzer sounds and you shoot all five and your time is your score. then you repeat this 4 more times, with your worst time thrown out. then you go to the next stage and repeat. the steel ranges from dinner plate-size to torso-size, with distances from roughly 10 yds to I think 50 yards.

if you're shooting a centerfire pistol, you start from your holster and draw and shoot. if you're a new guy and uncomfortable with drawing and shooting, they'll let you start low ready. with .22 rifle or pistol you start at low ready. since you only need 5 rounds per string, and just 10 if you miss everything once, one mag should get you thru one string so little to no need to reload on the clock.

super easy, super simple, a box stock gun and couple of mags (five would be great but 3 minimum) will get you going.

Gracias! Don't even own a holster, belt, or mag-pouches. Will BOLO for deals on those in the next week or so.

davsco

Ultimate Member
    Oct 21, 2010
    Loudoun, VA
    Gracias! Don't even own a holster, belt, or mag-pouches. Will BOLO for deals on those in the next week or so.

you really don't need ANY of this for your first match (steel challenge, that is, you will need holster and mag pouches for uspsa, idpa etc). they will let you start at low ready (so you can bring your gun in a bag or case), and your mags can just go on the table, again you're not reloading on the clock, just after you're done with each string of fire.

but IF you want to get stuff, blade-tech is a very good and well-used brand at the various competitions and very reasonably priced. their DOH (dropped and offset) holster with the ASR (adjustable stingray loop) works great and is legal for most everything and you can remove the drop piece for idpa and I think also uspsa single stack.

holster and mag pouches below are for a glock 17 size but they make for pretty much everything. and you can probably find cheaper, just wanted to show the models.

http://www.dawsonprecision.com/ProductDetail.jsp?LISTID=80000F39-1388518236

http://www.dawsonprecision.com/ProductDetail.jsp?LISTID=8000170D-1388518373

you can just a stiff leather belt, but the two (inner and outer) belt system is nice as you keep your holster and mags threaded on the outer belt and just take the whole thing off without having to take each piece off and on.

http://www.dawsonprecision.com/ProductDetail.jsp?LISTID=80000F30-1388518235

photoracer

Competition Shooter
    Oct 22, 2010
    West Virginia
    Great and inspiring video!

I live so close to Sanners Lake Sportsman club that I can hear the live firing. I want to learn about and compete in these compititions but I have some reservations since I have a physical handicap that affects my mobility. I am slow and clumsy on my feet and am unable to run but I am not yet in a wheelchair. Is there a compitition class for handicapped handgun shooters?
    If you have physical limitations I would consider Steel Challenge and NSSF Rimfire Challenge where you do little or no movement. In other disciplines like USPSA/IPSC, IDPA, USCA, and 3-gun how fast or how slow you move will have a big effect on your score. One reason I took a sabbatical from USPSA and 3-gun earlier this year is my knee issues currently will not allow me to run at all. So no matter how good I shoot or how much I like to shoot those events my scoring went down a lot. One of the funnest matches of the year, the PSA Shootout (and also the PSA Rimfire Shootout) does not require movement.

itsslow98

Ultimate Member
    Nov 8, 2010
    Harford County, MD
    That looks insanely fun but admittedly intimidating to get into. Problem for me is I don't have anywhere private that I could practice anything remotely close to that. I think I am gonna talk to my buddy about getting into it though.

Racinready300ex

Jun 3, 2009
    That looks insanely fun but admittedly intimidating to get into. Problem for me is I don't have anywhere private that I could practice anything remotely close to that. I think I am gonna talk to my buddy about getting into it though.

I do most of my practice in my living room with scaled down targets. It may look a little silly but it works.

kstone803

Official Meat Getter
    Feb 25, 2009
    Ltown in the SMC
    If you have physical limitations I would consider Steel Challenge and NSSF Rimfire Challenge where you do little or no movement. In other disciplines like USPSA/IPSC, IDPA, USCA, and 3-gun how fast or how slow you move will have a big effect on your score. One reason I took a sabbatical from USPSA and 3-gun earlier this year is my knee issues currently will not allow me to run at all. So no matter how good I shoot or how much I like to shoot those events my scoring went down a lot. One of the funnest matches of the year, the PSA Shootout (and also the PSA Rimfire Shootout) does not require movement.

Sanners Lake also shoots bowling pin matches on the 4th Saturday of every month. Next one is this coming Saturday 22 Nov. Gates will open around 0815 and shooting starts at 0900. These are shot from one position and usually don't require a reload (unless you shoot revolver).

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    the sooner you start doing this stuff, the sooner you start getting better. you really can't practice for this on a square/static range. if you want to practice a little, holster up your unloaded handgun and draw and fire at "targets" while running around your house, while practicing mag changes, with empty mags of course.

you of course need basic/sound accuracy skills, as if you're not reasonably accurate standing still chances are you will be less accurate on the move (or with moving targets). you always want your muzzle generally pointed downrange, including while reloading, and your finger visibly outside the trigger guard when not actually shooting (so while running, reloading, clearing a jam, etc).

I do most all of the peacemaker handgun, 2 and 3 gun matches, and others around the va/md/wv/pa area. if you or anyone else here wants someone to help them thru their first match, I'm happy to do so. there are a handful of total newbies each match so you won't be alone.

This^^^^^^

The way you get better is to:

Shoot local matches

Take classes

Shoot matches

Practice

Shoot matches

And finally, shoot matches.

EVERYONE is slow at first. Better to be slow and safe first. Then add accurate. THEN add speed.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Kdaily1127

Latest threads

Top Bottom