• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • DROB

member...
    Jul 25, 2011
    North of the MD border...
    I am pretty sure the Balt. City PD has been posted before, but I hadn't seen anyone post about the MD Transportation Authority Police. I can add links if others are looking for them. My main initiative here was to get some information on the Transportation Authority police. If any of you work or have worked for them I'd be interested in your feedback, because I am considering putting in my application. Feel free to PM me about either so that you don't feel like you have air your opinion, good or bad, publicly.

Any info, recommendations, suggestions, or otherwise would be greatly appreciated.

2SAM22

Moderator Emeritus
    Apr 4, 2007
    I've worked with a lot of people who used to work there. They say it's a political, good ol boy network, so pretty much like any other PD in MD.
    It's a good way to get your certification, then you can lateral anywhere you want.
    I think they have a contract, meaning they train you, you must work there x number of years or you pay them back.

mdshooterguy2820

Aug 26, 2011
    Joppa, MD
    We call em tunnel rats and bridge pigeons :)

In all seriousness, I have a "friend" that works for the transpo authority. From what I have heard, it is VERY political. Worse than others and I have several friends in different LEOs.

Name Taken

Ultimate Member
    Feb 23, 2010
    Central
    MdTA (not Mass Transit Police) seems like a decent agency. Just realize there is a likely hood you'll be on BWI patrol or bridge patrol. However the bridge patrol guys seemingly back up some of the other agencies on their routine calls.

The downside is they are on MSP pay scale which is seemingly freezed forever.

They have some good units however being rather small I would guess they are very hard to get into.

Just realize that policing in Baltimore compared to MdTA is going to be WAAAYYYYY different. Different jobs and different missions.

Demoneyes86

Ultimate Member
    Mar 4, 2011
    Baltimore
    There ok but hiring process is slow and if ur not a later or military goodluck. I got a thank you try later because of lack of spots open and the ones were filled with lats n mil. Goodluck. All in all good agency though.

DROB

member...
    Jul 25, 2011
    MdTA (not Mass Transit Police) seems like a decent agency. Just realize there is a likely hood you'll be on BWI patrol or bridge patrol. However the bridge patrol guys seemingly back up some of the other agencies on their routine calls.

The downside is they are on MSP pay scale which is seemingly freezed forever.

They have some good units however being rather small I would guess they are very hard to get into.

Just realize that policing in Baltimore compared to MdTA is going to be WAAAYYYYY different. Different jobs and different missions.
    thanks, and I realize that both are same in a number of ways, but also very different in a lot of ways. I had a feeling that MdTA was more of a good ole boy network after talking to a friend of a friend (you know how that goes).

And since I am not a lateral or former military, this is why I think it's gonna be difficult for me to get in the door.

systemmaster

MDS Supporter
    Dec 31, 2009
    Lost
    MdTA a.k.a. Toll Trolls...if you like being micro managed, if you like being on camera view by supervisors 24/7, it might be for you. As stated it is a very political department. Use it to get you foot in the door and get a good understanding of traffic law. I know several officers who did two years there and then lateraled to full service police departments.

Baltimore City PD...Welcome to the jungle. Good luck.

Name Taken

Ultimate Member
    Feb 23, 2010
    Central
    do any of you know if either of the academy's are live in? I am hoping not, just b/c of my current living/family situation.

They arent.

I believe MSP has the only live in academy in the state. Baltimore City has theirs set up to be and I believe one class a few years ago did a few weeks however I think they stopped doing it.

r3t1awr3yd

Meh.
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 14, 2010
    Bowie, MD
    My friend's a tunnel rat and loves his job (he says his shift is the most fun from 11p-7a). From what he says, overtime pay is pretty awesome.

Oh, and he also says he'd rather "be a tunnel rat than some douchebag brown clown."

DROB

member...
    Jul 25, 2011
    My friend's a tunnel rat and loves his job (he says his shift is the most fun from 11p-7a). From what he says, overtime pay is pretty awesome.

Oh, and he also says he'd rather "be a tunnel rat than some douchebag brown clown."

Good to know...

They arent.

I believe MSP has the only live in academy in the state. Baltimore City has theirs set up to be and I believe one class a few years ago did a few weeks however I think they stopped doing it.

Great, that's what I thought, but I wanted to be sure. That would sure ease a lot of burden on my wife with her work schedule.

Its not a live in academy. The MDTA is a good agency If you can try to get in. its 26+ weeks

26+ weeks before??? next recruiting class?

big pimpin

Ultimate Member
    Jan 7, 2012
    Eastern Shore MD
    Good to know...

Great, that's what I thought, but I wanted to be sure. That would sure ease a lot of burden on my wife with her work schedule.

26+ weeks before??? next recruiting class?

26 weeks is the academy length.....then they will have an FTO phase you must pass

MdTA is a good place....I know alot of people there and they love it....tough to get hired though..

Plenty of MD agencies hiring along with Feds in DC and MPDC as well

ZAKKK173

May 23, 2011
    Conowingo, MD
    Transportation authority isn't to hard to get in to. As long as you have a clean driving record and no criminal history . It wouldn't be to bad to do to get your foot in the door but just remember they have I believe 5 outposts and you could be sent to anyone of those including Frederick and the Harry Nice bridge on the Virginia border. So if your not prepared to either drive 2+ hours one way to work in your pov or relocate it might be a bad idea. And one more thing is ask yourself if you will like to patrol only about a few miles of road on either side of the tolls and no more. Their isn't to many opportunities to expand your career within mdta. They don't have very many units and their is only 5 posts that you can go to.

Sent from my PG86100 using Tapatalk

DROB

member...
    Jul 25, 2011
    Transportation authority isn't to hard to get in to. As long as you have a clean driving record and no criminal history . It wouldn't be to bad to do to get your foot in the door but just remember they have I believe 5 outposts and you could be sent to anyone of those including Frederick and the Harry Nice bridge on the Virginia border. So if your not prepared to either drive 2+ hours one way to work in your pov or relocate it might be a bad idea. And one more thing is ask yourself if you will like to patrol only about a few miles of road on either side of the tolls and no more. Their isn't to many opportunities to expand your career within mdta. They don't have very many units and their is only 5 posts that you can go to.

yeah, I had a feeling it was like MSP in that way, as far as the location is concerned. I think either could be a stepping stone, but I'd rather not look at it that way, cause then you're heads already onto the next step. Thanks for the insight and perspective.

big pimpin

Ultimate Member
    Jan 7, 2012
    Eastern Shore MD
    Transportation authority isn't to hard to get in to. As long as you have a clean driving record and no criminal history .Lets not make it sound like its that easy...they get hundred if not thousaands of applicants nowadays,I assure you its not that easy It wouldn't be to bad to do to get your foot in the door but just remember they have I believe 5 outposts and you could be sent to anyone of those including Frederick and the Harry Nice bridge on the Virginia border. So if your not prepared to either drive 2+ hours one way to work in your pov or relocate it might be a bad idea.very true and many start at the airport And one more thing is ask yourself if you will like to patrol only about a few miles of road on either side of the tolls and no more. Their isn't to many opportunities to expand your career within mdta. They don't have very many units and their is only 5 posts that you can go to.

So many agencies to choose from with many covering different types of things

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    tyreseveronica

Latest threads

Top Bottom