• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • TheOriginalMexicanBob

Ultimate Member
    BANNED!!!
    Jul 2, 2017
    Sun City West, AZ
    The original Cresap range was larger than the current location. It used to be down the road a distance rather than sandwiched between the police range the pistol club range. At the old location you could shoot to 200 yards as well.

What happened was a developer wanted the range closed or moved due its proximity to a housing development. It wasn't a safety concern but a noise problem. Residents already there complained about the noise and it was potentially hurting sales of new construction. I'm not sure of the exact sequence of events but I was told the developer built the present range gratis to get the old range shut down. I also heard that the present location due to elevation or whatever, actually makes for more noise at the homes in question than the old range did.

How accurate that is I can't say but it's what I was told by a Cresap club member years ago when it happened.

BigSteve57

Ultimate Member
    Feb 14, 2011
    We have fond memories of the old Cresap range. It was the first shooting range we had ever been to.
    We went there in 1983 after moving to MD in 1982; it was $1 per target to shoot IIRC. They even supplied spotting scopes. I remember one RSO helping me to sight in my then new bolt action 30-06. We went on to join AGC later in 1984 or 1985.

Rockzilla

Ultimate Member
    Feb 6, 2010
    55.751244 / 37.618423
    I'm kind of torn on Cresap. While it has its perks, it also has its cons. I'm not concerned about the age of the facility or the condition of the benches, due to the age. The age kind of defines the overall condition of the facility. What concerns me the most is that some of the RSO's are idiots. They seems to have chips on their shoulders as big as the Empire State Building and dare you to try to knock that chip off. When they make up issues, when there aren't any going on, that is a problem. Furthermore, when a bad RSO jumps on you, they won't even listen to you explain how they saw something that didn't happen, because they weren't paying attention.

Getting reamed out for rapid firing a bolt action, that is being loaded one round at a time, seems a bit off, considering it is a bolt action. I was pulling the spent piece of brass out, putting it in my plastic reloading box, then manually feeding the next round into the empty chamber. Minimum amount of time between shots was 30 seconds to a minute. How is that rapid firing?

Getting reamed about rapid firing, just after setting up your rifle and beginning to load mags, without even firing a single shot, seems to be a RSO looking for a fight. Yet the guy 2 lanes down is doing the mad minute, but nothing was said to him.

A RSO laying a hand on me in a hostile manner is highly unprofessional and uncalled for, since he didn't know what was going on. Yet the RSO that was behind me knew what was going on, because I asked for permission to do something so I could case my rifles and was given the go ahead by him, after he stopped foot traffic. How did I break the rules when I asked for permission and received it and the RSO ensured that I was being safe with everything, but the other RSO took matters into his own hands to go crazy?

Since when do I have to pull the bolt from a bolt action, before I close the case the rifle is already laying in? Since when do I have to leave the bolt open in the case as I am closing the case? That was another incident with one of your RSO's.

Am I really supposed to put my rifle on safe after every shot I take with a semi auto? That was another made up rule by an RSO that was looking for a fight.

There are a lot of good RSO's at Cresap, but it is the bad ones that you need to weed out of your membership roll sooner, rather than later. Those bad RSO's are the real reason why people are going to TMGN and HTC, not the fact that those ranges are indoor and are open to the public more often than Cresap. Those same horrible RSO's are the reason why it is rare if you ever see me at your facility.

I hope that Cresap comes out victorious against the city, but I don't see a plan for dealing with the aftermath of your public image being tarnished the way it has been by the city and some of the RSO's at the facility.

Issue a lifetime ban on me if you must, but my gripe is with the RSO's that create problems, instead of leaving things alone, when no violations are occurring. Until you eliminate the bad apples, your public attendance will continue to dwindle.

happened 2x to me, even at the Fair Grounds I had asked questions, was blown off, such an attitude, from the person(s) there, but come on people. So what happens, happens, I hope they win, but it doesn't matter to me. Please don't take it the wrong way. but..

Was a member of the MPC years ago and tried to get back in, no luck, work at that time stopped me from attending meetings, etc..Long..long waiting list or you gotta pass away to get in.

Sorta miss the Linganore Rifle range, Col. Bartgis got me into high power shooting, with a ole Devine Match M1A that I still have, used the range
    anytime, taught me the discipline the hard way.;)

oh well gonna try and get in the Izaak Walton here in Frederick, Ben sponsored me, but didn't renew, took the RSO, Pistol Instructor classes and
    our good ole friend "Lou" was there playing like normal at the classes. Been shooting on a friends farm, even at that it's a little hard to setup a chrono,
    Ransom Rest, etc.

-Rock

fidelity

piled higher and deeper
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 15, 2012
    Frederick County
    Wether or not you enjoyed that range losing it would be a blow to the shooting community in our area. If they shut down Cresap who's next?

I agree. There are other dump on Cresap threads, but not sure why this should become the one. Very shortsighted of the gun community. This was the place where I first went to shoot in Frederick County, prior to the indoor ranges (which in FredCo, are limited to 25 yards vs 100 yards at Cresap).

Never been.

After reading your review, never will.

Why? He's been there more than once since, and I've been there on occasion with him since, where I've seen him have positive interactions.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

DaemonAssassin

Why should we Free BSD?
    Jun 14, 2012
    Political refugee in WV
    I agree. There are other dump on Cresap threads, but not sure why this should become the one. Very shortsighted of the gun community. This was the place where I first went to shoot in Frederick County, prior to the indoor ranges (which in FredCo, are limited to 25 yards vs 100 yards at Cresap).

Why? He's been there more than once since, and I've been there on occasion with him since, where I've seen him have positive interactions.

We were lucky those days, that there were laid back RSO's on site while we were there. Bar in mind that it is not a complete list of all the negative interactions I've had with the RSO's at Cresap. The list can be longer.

There once was a time that I refused to go back because of how I was treated, every time I visited Cresap over the previous year. The made up rules, the personal issues those few RSO's have, assaulting a customer, and the list goes on, are the reason why I rarely show my face over there. Like I've said, my issue is with the few RSO's that are the underlying problem for the future of the club, after they win in court.

fidelity

piled higher and deeper
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 15, 2012
    Frederick County
    We were lucky those days, that there were laid back RSO's on site while we were there. Bar in mind that it is not a complete list of all the negative interactions I've had with the RSO's at Cresap. The list can be longer.

I don't know why our experiences are so different. I've been there close to 20 times and never had what I felt was a negative interaction. I didn't receive any attitude from RSOs and often received help and suggestions, when I was obviously new. At most I was told how they wanted the bore presented during ceasefire. They can be particular then, and they will yell to get folks away from the table and handling firearms, but that's for everyone's safety.

Maybe it isn't the place for experienced shooters. You have your own shooting/hunting property in West Virginia. You likely have different expectations and obviously plenty of prior firearms experience. I mean you're barely "domesticated" when it comes to public access ranges. Try to get you to wear protective eyewear, lol.

While Cresap is strict about safety, they do allow things that a private range might not permit. I remember swapping uppers and lowers on an AR with you at Cresap when we were trying to identify a problem with a friend's home built AR (which you quickly diagnosed as a mistake in the trigger installation and fixed on the spot). We asked Cresap RSOs if we could do this, and it was no problem. What other range open to the general public would allow this (swapping upper and lower receivers, doing repair work on the lower on the line, etc)? Cresap has so many RSOs on the line, with the mission to support the shooting public, that they were cool to it and just watched to ensure we were being safe.

In the end, I think the 2A community in Frederick County will be diminished with the loss of Cresap. The way the city's gone about it, if they want more space to cater to outside federal customers, Monocacy Pistol Club is next, given that it adjoins to Cresap. Maybe the Frederick IWLA will follow as it's also on city property. And I'm sure there are different people in the larger gun community that could say they that don't like these facilities because of past experiences (we're on the public part of the forum for this thread). What's gained? Cresap is temporarily and possibly permanently closed by the city. Why kick 'em when they're down?

DaemonAssassin

Why should we Free BSD?
    Jun 14, 2012
    Political refugee in WV
    I don't know why our experiences are so different. I've been there close to 20 times and never had what I felt was a negative interaction. I didn't receive any attitude from RSOs and often received help and suggestions, when I was obviously new. At most I was told how they wanted the bore presented during ceasefire. They can be particular then, and they will yell to get folks away from the table and handling firearms, but that's for everyone's safety.

Maybe it isn't the place for experienced shooters. You have your own shooting/hunting property in West Virginia. You likely have different expectations and obviously plenty of prior firearms experience. I mean you're barely "domesticated" when it comes to public access ranges. Try to get you to wear protective eyewear, lol.

While Cresap is strict about safety, they do allow things that a private range might not permit. I remember swapping uppers and lowers on an AR with you at Cresap when we were trying to identify a problem with a friend's home built AR (which you quickly diagnosed as a mistake in the trigger installation and fixed on the spot). We asked Cresap RSOs if we could do this, and it was no problem. What other range open to the general public would allow this (swapping upper and lower receivers, doing repair work on the lower on the line, etc)? Cresap has so many RSOs on the line, with the mission to support the shooting public, that they were cool to it and just watched to ensure we were being safe.

In the end, I think the 2A community in Frederick County will be diminished with the loss of Cresap. The way the city's gone about it, if they want more space to cater to outside federal customers, Monocacy Pistol Club is next, given that it adjoins to Cresap. Maybe the Frederick IWLA will follow as it's also on city property. And I'm sure there are different people in the larger gun community that could say they that don't like these facilities because of past experiences (we're on the public part of the forum for this thread). What's gained? Cresap is temporarily and possibly permanently closed by the city. Why kick 'em when they're down?

You're right. I can't be "domesticated". But I do wear glasses if I remember to toss them in the bag.

My op did say that I hope Cresap wins, but I didn't see a plan to repair their tarnished image.

The truth here is that Cresap closing would be a loss to the community and a signal to the rest of the ranges in FredCo, that their time is limited. I don't want to see that happening.

todbiker

Ultimate Member
    Feb 11, 2012
    Laurel, Maryland
    Before I joined a local club, Cresap was my go to place to shoot. Any problems encountered by me was with other shooters, not the staff. Some of the staff were more "hands on" than others, but no one ever disrespected me. They did however kick some one off for sweeping me on the pistol range when my brass rained down on them. If you confuse disrespect with keeping the range safe, then open your own range and make the rules. Cresap is a private range that is kind enough to open u to the public, on certain days, for which I'm grateful. The closure of this range is a danger to anyone who values their 2nd amendment rights period.....

pcfixer

Ultimate Member
    May 24, 2009
    Marylandstan
    Thank you for contacting Mayor McClement’s office. Due to safety concerns, Cresap was required to temporarily shut down their range until the situation is corrected. Please be assured that the City will continue to work with Cresap to resolve this matter in a mutually beneficial way.

Pam Stocksdale
    Office Manager for Mayor Randy McClement
    City of Frederick
    .. I did send an email to all alderman and the mayor. This was the response.

Clump

Sep 19, 2008
    Felton, DE
    I have shot at Cresap for many years and have never been treated with any disrespect at all by an RSO or anyone else. Once, during a ceasefire, I was asked to turn over my 1911 so that the open chamber was showing. Asked quietly with no drama. I've seen them jump on people who are unsafe and IMO that's a good thing and why they are there.

FWIW I've emailed the mayor and aldermen.

Clump

Sep 19, 2008
    Felton, DE
    I got the exact same response from Pam Stocksdale that pcfixer got. Nothing from the Aldermen.

I made it plain in my emails that I'm a resident and voter in the City of Frederick.

tmd99

Aug 22, 2015
    Frederick
    Thanks everyone for your support for Cresap! Everyone who has called or emailed, you are being noticed by our City leaders and everyone appreciates it. YOU are making a difference!!!!! If you shoot at Cresap and have not contacted the City, we would ask you to make contact to let the City know the importance of public ranges in Maryland. We are awaiting response to the latest proposal to get Cresap reopened as soon as possible and are hopeful that between the concerns expressed by everyone here and "common sense" improvements to the range that have been proposed, we can reopen soon and get everyone shooting again. Public ranges in Maryland are important and we appreciate everyone who has taken part in the cause to keep another one from disappearing. Cresap intends to keep everyone posted through the threads here on the status the best it can. Hopeful to see you all at the range soon!!!! Best wishes.

tmd99

Aug 22, 2015
    Frederick
    Sitrep: Cresap has been cleared to open the 10-yard pistol line on Saturdays and Sundays. Because it is only half the pistol range, Cresap is waiting to open to the public until either the full pistol-side or full rifle-side (or the entire range) has been approved by City authorities for re-opening. Right now, the 10-yard line is open to members only on weekends (hopefully this will be a short duration before range can open to public). There have been rumors circulating that Cresap has resumed full operations, but this is inaccurate and Cresap will keep trying to keep everyone posted of the situation. Cresap has submitted a proposal and is awaiting response from the City to reopen the entire range, and hopefully Cresap will hear something soon from City officials. Nothing in this post is intended to express, imply, or concede any deficiency in Cresap's range or any alleged safety issues but simply is a status update of Cresap's good-faith efforts to work with the City to allow the members and the public to shoot again with the least amount of disruption to exercising their Second Amendment rights. Again, thank you for your support and Cresap will have more information hopefully very soon.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    bapple

Latest threads

Top Bottom