Meeting the Retire U.S. Military LEOSA "Weapons Qualification Training" Requirement

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Blaster229

God loves you, I don't.
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 14, 2010
    Glen Burnie
    You're still not making sense.
    Some agencies may not accept DOD LEOSA. At one point that was the case and I said I'll ask Sykesville on the 14th.
    Nothing says any qualifying entity shall qualify everyone.

You do know the state doesn't recognize DC cops who are Maryland residents right?,
    The verbage goes something like this.... Maryland State, local, and federal. I think they add RR police.

It doesn't matter what any crappy statue says. Jersey didn't give a shit. It wasn't until last year retirees won their case finally being able to qualify and carry under 218. Until then, they had to carry under the state's retirement system.
    That screwed new Jersey federal guys because you have to qualify in the state of which you reside. They couldn't go to another state and do it.
    FLEOA brought the case on behalf of 2 federal agents.

You throw citations out like you have experience on the ground with it.

Tell us what an ATSAC is.

BurkeM

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 8, 2014
    Baltimore
    We agree- Some States are absolute bastards who directly disobey Federal Law. DC and MD have ancient issues - MD treats the various DC agencies like they were non-citizens. I've worked with many of those folks to get MD HGP'S

I've never had any issues in my travels around the country, your experience may vary.

I've been a FLEOA member for decades- they do good work for their members.

BurkeM

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 8, 2014
    Baltimore
    Blaster229​
    Yea, this was in my email.
    Today, Mathew Silverman, National President of the Federal Law Enforcement Officers Association (FLEOA)–the nation’s largest non-partisan, non-for-profit professional association representing more than 32,000 federal law enforcement officers and agents across 65 federal agencies–issued the following statement regarding the United States Court of Appeals for the Third Circuit’s decision affirming the lower court’s ruling in FLEOA and the New Jersey State Lodge of the Fraternal Order of Police (NJ FOP)’s favor in FLEOA v. Grewal:

“It is with extreme pride and pleasure that we announce that the US Court of Appeals for the Third Circuit has ruled in FLEOA and the NJ FOP’s favor in our lawsuit against the State of New Jersey for their preemption of the federal Law Enforcement Officers Safety Acy (LEOSA). LEOSA establishes a limited concealed carry waiver for qualified law enforcement ‘notwithstanding any other provision of law of any state.’ Despite this, New Jersey has consistently sought to undermine the rights of qualified law enforcement to carry in the state. Today, the Court of Appeals affirmed Congress’s ‘express and unmistakable’ intent to preempt state law and struck down New Jersey’s unconstitutional violation of the constitution’s Supremacy Clause,” FLEOA President Silverman said.

“As the Court concluded: ‘We may not ignore Congress’s unambiguous conferral of an individual right or its clear intent to preempt state law. In LEOSA, Congress granted certain retired law enforcement officers a right to carry a concealed firearm. And LEOSA expressly preempts contrary provisions of the state law.’ This conclusion sends a strong message to states who seek to circumvent federal law by imposing unnecessary and burdensome requirements on retired officers’ right to carry that those requirements will not stand,” Silverman continued.

“In enacting LEOSA, Congress sought to provide a force multiplied in states to ensure qualified personnel with public safety training are prepared and able to respond to public safety threats whenever they arise. New Jersey and various other states have disregarded these public safety benefits and disregarded their constitutional responsibility to defer to federal law. Today, the Court of Appeals made clear that will not stand. We applaud the Court for its decision today and look forward to seeing New Jersey abide by this ruling after having lost their case at both the district court and appellate court levels. Finally, I would like to extend my sincere gratitude to the NJ FOP for fighting this fight alongside FLEOA,” Silverman concluded.

Blaster229

God loves you, I don't.
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 14, 2010
    Glen Burnie
    Blaster229​
    Yea, this was in my email.
    Today, Mathew Silverman, National President of the Federal Law Enforcement Officers Association (FLEOA)–the nation’s largest non-partisan, non-for-profit professional association representing more than 32,000 federal law enforcement officers and agents across 65 federal agencies–issued the following statement regarding the United States Court of Appeals for the Third Circuit’s decision affirming the lower court’s ruling in FLEOA and the New Jersey State Lodge of the Fraternal Order of Police (NJ FOP)’s favor in FLEOA v. Grewal:

“It is with extreme pride and pleasure that we announce that the US Court of Appeals for the Third Circuit has ruled in FLEOA and the NJ FOP’s favor in our lawsuit against the State of New Jersey for their preemption of the federal Law Enforcement Officers Safety Acy (LEOSA). LEOSA establishes a limited concealed carry waiver for qualified law enforcement ‘notwithstanding any other provision of law of any state.’ Despite this, New Jersey has consistently sought to undermine the rights of qualified law enforcement to carry in the state. Today, the Court of Appeals affirmed Congress’s ‘express and unmistakable’ intent to preempt state law and struck down New Jersey’s unconstitutional violation of the constitution’s Supremacy Clause,” FLEOA President Silverman said.

“As the Court concluded: ‘We may not ignore Congress’s unambiguous conferral of an individual right or its clear intent to preempt state law. In LEOSA, Congress granted certain retired law enforcement officers a right to carry a concealed firearm. And LEOSA expressly preempts contrary provisions of the state law.’ This conclusion sends a strong message to states who seek to circumvent federal law by imposing unnecessary and burdensome requirements on retired officers’ right to carry that those requirements will not stand,” Silverman continued.

“In enacting LEOSA, Congress sought to provide a force multiplied in states to ensure qualified personnel with public safety training are prepared and able to respond to public safety threats whenever they arise. New Jersey and various other states have disregarded these public safety benefits and disregarded their constitutional responsibility to defer to federal law. Today, the Court of Appeals made clear that will not stand. We applaud the Court for its decision today and look forward to seeing New Jersey abide by this ruling after having lost their case at both the district court and appellate court levels. Finally, I would like to extend my sincere gratitude to the NJ FOP for fighting this fight alongside FLEOA,” Silverman concluded.
    We always knew Jersey is the devil.
    I just want to know their rationale for doing that all these years.
    Hell. I was TDY every 2 weeks for a year at our technical center there. We all were scared to death carrying there. It was crazy.

StantonCree

Watch your beer
    Jan 23, 2011
    Bro, I'm pretty sure you can't. You'll need to do yours in DC. The state specifies State of Maryland agencies and Federal. Like I don't think they do military either.
    Well that’s garbage! I admit I’m far off so haven’t gone head first into it but know people who qualify not in DC. Then again those folks genuinely all moved OOS.

StantonCree

Watch your beer
    Jan 23, 2011
    Best of luck when your retirement comes.
    Thanks homie! 9 years I can but realistically I’m thinking 12 for that extra %. Hard to believe I’ve been on MDS almost as long as I’ve been a cop (16 years).

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    bara4033

Latest threads

Top Bottom