• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Raineman

On the 3rd box
    Dec 27, 2008
    Eldersburg
    I listened to about 13 seconds of Gov.Moore's speech yesterday (as I was cruising the dial). Did anyone catch his quip "lead abatement"? Cuz, ya' know...for the children.

Park ranger

Ultimate Member
    Dec 6, 2015
    For those asking why, they will say that birds of prey eat the gut piles of deer and get lead poisoning. They will say a piece of lead the size of a grain of rice will kill an eagle.

I like Barnes bullets, but sometimes they don’t shoot well in a particular gun. Bonded bullets lose almost no lead and hard cast even less.

I’ll be watching and email my senator to kill this bill.

Clovis

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 1, 2011
    Centreville
    This will kill the waterfowl hunting industry. FWIW that talk about FUDDS sitting on impoundments they own, DNR will talk right on and check their shells.
    Sorry, I don't understand, waterfowlers have had to use non-lead shot since what the '90s or so. I can't recall how long steel or some other non-lead shot was required. Am I missing something?
    edit;
    Looking back at my hunting logs it looks like I started using steel in 1986. Started hunting geese and ducks in around 1980 and used lead before 86.

Last edited:

Clovis

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 1, 2011
    Centreville
    For those asking why, they will say that birds of prey eat the gut piles of deer and get lead poisoning. They will say a piece of lead the size of a grain of rice will kill an eagle.

I like Barnes bullets, but sometimes they don’t shoot well in a particular gun. Bonded bullets lose almost no lead and hard cast even less.

I would love to see the numbers of birds killed by eating lead and poisoned, I would just about be certain it be small compared to the number of vultures and other bird hit by cars etc. while they are trying to eat roadkill. If they do away with lead for hunting there will likely be more roadkill and will be more of these birds becoming roadkill as well.

Slackdaddy

My pronouns: Iva/Bigun
    Jan 1, 2019

I don't gut shoot my deer.

Slackdaddy

Jan 1, 2019
    I listened to about 13 seconds of Gov.Moore's speech yesterday (as I was cruising the dial). Did anyone catch his quip "lead abatement"? Cuz, ya' know...for the children.
    Was he referring to hunting?? or Baltimore city schools?

dist1646

Ultimate Member
    May 1, 2012
    Eldersburg
    If there were an actual issue with lead bullets, why don't those who live in Antietam, Gettysburg and countless other civil war battlefields glow in the daylight?! Not to mention the French and Indian wars, Revolutionary war, etc.

Last edited:

Slackdaddy

Jan 1, 2019
    Nah . Non Toxic has been required for waterfowl since 1976 .

It will be significant for most of everything else .
    I can not express how significant it will be for deer hunting in MD. (shotgun and SWC)
    Slugs and SWC rounds are relatively slow moving rounds,, Copper does not work. You need soft lead to expand and transfer the energy.
    Add to that, there is NO non-lead hunting round that produces the required 1200 ft/lb for 357 and 44mag.

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    Add to that, there is NO non-lead hunting round that produces the required 1200 ft/lb for 357 and 44mag.

Actually there is , for .44 Mag . May be more also , but Cor Bon 225 DPX ( using Barnes X Bullet ) gives over 900 ft lb from 4 inch Revolver , will be well over 1200 ft lb from Revolver

I've shot it from .41 Mag rifle , but it was handloaded . ( Not to reach an energy level , but because ( at least at the time it wasn't factory loaded .)

Slackdaddy

Jan 1, 2019
    Actually there is , for .44 Mag . May be more also , but Cor Bon 225 DPX ( using Barnes X Bullet ) gives over 900 ft lb from 4 inch Revolver , will be well over 1200 ft lb from Revolver

I've shot it from .41 Mag rifle , but it was handloaded . ( Not to reach an energy level , but because ( at least at the time it wasn't factory loaded .)
    For it to be legal in MD, it has to be rated by the manufacture at over 1200 Ft/LB
    I am "guessing" that is "Close to 1100-1200 with a 16.5 barrel.

Couple of problems,, From the manufacture: "“Barrier blind” is the new terminology for ammunition that outstandingly performs after penetrating a heavy barrier like auto glass or steel. DPX® is the only ammunition that maintains 100% of its weight after going through such barriers."

That is not ammo designed for thin skinned ammo,,

2nd issue is,, I use ammo (slug gun and 44 mag" that produces 1600-1800 Ft/lb,, nothing less.
    I am not chasing deer 200 yards because the MGA wants to ban hunting.

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    Couple of problems,, From the manufacture: "“Barrier blind” is the new terminology for ammunition that outstandingly performs after penetrating a heavy barrier like auto glass or steel. DPX® is the only ammunition that maintains 100% of its weight after going through such barriers."

That is not ammo designed for thin skinned ammo,,

Actually the other way around .

Randy Brooks ( then head honcho & CEO of Barnes ) , conceived of the concept on a hunting trip , and it was designed , and developed as strictly a Hunting bullet , and was so marketed for decades afterwards . ( Concieved 1975 , released circa 1984 )

It was relatively recently discovered that they Also performed well in Barrier Blind Tectical roles , but they were Hunting bullets first .

Currently the " handgun " calibers have advertised velocities from standard handgun length test bbls , but I'm sure customer service from both Barnes and Cor Bon have data for carbine length .

Added - Just sent an email to Cor Bon customer service

Last edited:

Slackdaddy

Jan 1, 2019
    Actually the other way around .

Randy Brooks ( then head honcho & CEO of Barnes ) , conceived of the concept on a hunting trip , and it was designed , and developed as strictly a Hunting bullet , and was so marketed for decades afterwards . ( Concieved 1975 , released circa 1984 )

It was relatively recently discovered that they Also performed well in Barrier Blind Tectical roles , but they were Hunting bullets first .

Currently the " handgun " calibers have advertised velocities from standard handgun length test bbls , but I'm sure customer service from both Barnes and Cor Bon have data for carbine length .
    I don't think the MGA needs any more help

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    tyreseveronica

Latest threads

Top Bottom