• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Merlin593

Mar 29, 2013
    Towson, MD
    I am thinking of upgrading my current reflex site on my AR. Its a Sightmark ultra shot QD.
    I like being able to shoot both eyes open and will do more CQB shooting (100yds or less) with it than long range with the optic. Basically for shooting at the range and home defense applications - I'm not going into battle :)
    My question is - what is the advantage of a micro vs. "regular" sized red dot?
    Besides the obvious weight difference, are there any other significant features that I'm missing out on that I'm not seeing? I know price can be a factor as well.
    Are there more mounting options for one, more eye relief, better for both eyes open shooting, etc.? I have never used a micro or regular sized red dot. Just the reflex site and regular magnified scopes.
    For comparison, name a micro dot from any manufacturer and for regular sized models I was thinking of some of the Primary Arms models and Trijicon ACOGs.
    Thanks in advance for any feedback.
    Best,
    Jim

SCARCQB

Get Opp my rawn, Plick!
    Jun 25, 2008
    Undisclosed location
    Micro dots sights like the
    burris fastfire
    Leupold delta point
    C more microdot
    Docter / optima
    trijicon MRDS
    ETC....

Are generally good red dot sights and most are tough enough for range use. For combat use... That job goes to the Trijicon

When buying a mini red dot( mrds). You must consider price. The cheap ones are... CHEAP and do not belong to anything bigger than a 22LR.( rear lenses are glued on and falls off) and craps out when wet.

Buy something that is waterproof, has tactile click adjustments, does not require dismounting the sight to replace batteries and from a reputable manufacturer. MOA dot size varies, smaller size for accuracy... Larger ones for speed.

Some mrds also have auto brightness controls... There are some that point upwards.. Which means, its washes out if shooting from a shade onto full sunlight.

The main difference between MRDS and standard red dots is size/ weight. MRDS are very small and can be slide mounted in some instances. There is one drawback, the rear LED emmiter can be obstructed by dirt or water... That results in instant failure. That doesntbhappen in tube type red dot sights.

derwingnut

Dec 16, 2011
    Essex
    If a large part of getting one is for HD then might I suggest an EOTech. Not unmanageably heavy, outstanding field of view and can be had for "cheap"(depending on model and new or used). Also the holographic nature of the sight means its a lot more forgiving on acquisition. Only downside really compared to Aimpoints is battery life. Have one on one of my rigs and love it, at the range running 1x(without the magnifier) I'm easily capable of 100yd accuracy on par with irons.
    Edit: Forgot to mention if you want a more aimpoint style dot without the expense the Vortex Sparc is a surprisingly resilient dot for cheap. It has stood up to the recoil on my Saiga 12 and allowed me to pop a soda can at 35yds offhand with a slug lol

4095fanatic

Paramagic
    Dec 3, 2010
    Home defense, I'd get an Aimpoint PRO (or another Aimpoint that suits your fancy). I have some Vortex Strikefires on my range guns, and they've held up find after several thousand rounds so far, but if I had to put money on a RDS working when grabbed out of the safe, my money would be on an Aimpoint before a Vortex.

Some people love EOTechs, so I'd try finding a shooter with one and asking if you can try a few rounds. Nothing wrong with EOTechs, I (as of now, anyway) just prefer Aimpoint.

erwos

The Hebrew Hammer
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 25, 2009
    Rockville, MD
    There's five different form factors in play, usually:
    1. C-More-style open dot.
    2. RMR-style MRDS.
    3. Aimpoint Micro-style tube.
    4. Aimpoint CompM4 "full size" tube.
    5. Eotech-style big glass window. (Also see Mepro M21 or MOR.)

If it were me, I'd buy the new Holosun optic that PA is importing. Not super-expensive, and it has a bunch of features that are nice for "bump in the night" use.

rico903

Ultimate Member
    May 2, 2011
    If you live near a shop that carries Aim Point and and Eotech go and try them out. Aim Points are nice and small but I have trouble picking up the dot with both eyes open. The outer circle on the Eotech works better for me. I grew up shooting with one eye closed and making the eyes open adjustment is hard for me. If you decide on Eotech go to CMC Government Supply, they always have great sales.

ObsceneJesster

Ultimate Member
    Jan 31, 2011
    Personally I like the Eotech reticle over the single dot used by Aimpoint and many others. That being said, I also like the durability and battery life of Aimpoint.

The "Doomsday Prepper" in me picks an Aimpoint every time.

sailskidrive

Legalize the Constitution
    Oct 16, 2011
    Route 27
    Personally I like the Eotech reticle over the single dot used by Aimpoint and many others. That being said, I also like the durability and battery life of Aimpoint.

The "Doomsday Prepper" in me picks an Aimpoint every time.

Yeah... I have to agree there is just something about the EOtech; it's almost like a heads up display.

But the battery life and durability of the Aim Point kick it up a notch in my universe...

My preferred setup has a Trijicon SRS... :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    tyreseveronica

Latest threads

Top Bottom