• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • sig63

Jun 15, 2009
    FREED AT LAST!!!
    I ordered a DPMS .308 upper from Midway at the Black Friday sale price of about $65. I went with the cheapest shipping option, and probably shouldn't have. Foolish me to think that they would package it in a manner that would prevent damage to the product.

They wrapped it in two layers of small bubble wrap and placed it inside a bubble envelope. The problem is that the critical areas are at either end...exactly where heavy envelopes tend to be dropped. Clearly this happened.

Packaging:
    zJz6Y3X.jpg

Forward end (clearly dropped):
    GtZGsed.jpg

Crack inside barrel nut threads:
    IYDA0dg.jpg

Ding on rear of rail (charging handle will not fit due to bent cantilever):
    EZkvvhj.jpg

When I called Midway and explained the issue, they said that they would replace it and give me upgraded shipping since it was damaged. Well, they were out of stock. Shocker. Most of their stuff usually is, and their prices are usually not as good as others. So I will take my refund and wait for someone else to have it in stock...I'm in no hurry.

I am not shopping at Midway anymore. I recommend that if you do, opt for upgraded shipping and figure that into your price. Sure, they offered to replace it at some point but the price has gone up and I don't feel like waiting. I just feel that they should package their products appropriately, and from this experience they seem unconcerned by the waste of my time or their money (there is no way this product will be sold again and NOT returned). What a waste.

Boom Boom

Hold my beer. Watch this.
    Jul 16, 2010
    Carroll
    That sucks. At least they are easy to get in touch with for a refund. I can recommend BCM for excellent packing/shipping of uppers.

sig63

Jun 15, 2009
    FREED AT LAST!!!
    I'm surprised it would crack like that.

Aluminum is pretty strong, but this part was not designed to deal with the stress applied when dropped. If it had the barrel nut on it, no worries because it is supported by the steel barrel and barrel nut on both sides.

The problem is that hardened aluminum is light and relatively strong but brittle. It won't bend back without breaking so it can't be "trued" like a steel part perhaps could be. That's why it needs to be properly shipped. Midway should have known better.

sig63

Jun 15, 2009
    FREED AT LAST!!!
    That sucks. At least they are easy to get in touch with for a refund. I can recommend BCM for excellent packing/shipping of uppers.

Thanks. I'll give them a look. I'm thinking about the one from Detroit Gun Works without the FA, since I was going to just plug the FA hole anyway. Sort of superfluous on the 308.

Alphabrew

Binary male Lesbian
    Jan 27, 2013
    Woodbine
    You're lucky you didn't have to fight for a refund. I wouldn't be so quick to dismiss Midway, seems like they did you right.

Boom Boom

Jul 16, 2010
    Carroll
    Probably for fear they do a repeat. Their shipping has been iffy for quite awhile. "Upgraded" shipping means they use a cardboard box with little or no packing material, instead of an envelope. The box by itself is almost no protection.

sig63

Jun 15, 2009
    FREED AT LAST!!!
    You're lucky you didn't have to fight for a refund. I wouldn't be so quick to dismiss Midway, seems like they did you right.

I am a long time Midway customer, and have generally been happy with them. This time I was not, so I called and asked them to actually change how they pack items for shipping. But they pretty much blew me off and told me to submit for a refund. This is my second return with them in the last few months and I would rather not deal with the hassle.

OP, if Midway will replace that when it comes back in stock and you are not in a hurry, why not just wait?

Mostly because I am just sick of dealing with them. This was a really good deal (if it had been shipped properly). But I am sick of seeing "Not in stock, backordered, overdue" for all the products I'm interested in. BTW, just saw them back in stock for 2x what I paid.

Probably for fear they do a repeat. Their shipping has been iffy for quite awhile. "Upgraded" shipping means they use a cardboard box with little or no packing material, instead of an envelope. The box by itself is almost no protection.

Yep. Several reviews to this effect too. I should have heeded them better than I did.

I don't like bashing for the sake of bashing but this seems to be a policy they are not willing to change and maybe this (and my product review) will convince them that it needs to be addressed.

Boom Boom

Jul 16, 2010
    Carroll
    I don't think you're bashing at all. Just being honest. I still buy from them, but I'm mindful of what I buy.

rico903

Ultimate Member
    May 2, 2011
    That sucks it happened. Good price lost. I have never had a shipping problem with Midway. My biggest gripe with them is how many times an item has gone on sale a week after I paid full price for it. When retail shopping for non gun items I try to shop in places that have a 30 day price match if they have a sale in that time period. Don't know why gun supply places can't do this.

guthook

Grrr.
    Apr 7, 2008
    St. Mary's
    I'm an admitted fanboy of Midway. They were solidly in my favors until they started to use USPS via UPS for shipping. It took a lost package and a damaged one to finally give up on the cheapest shipping method. Shame to have to pay extra for a small package to arrive in one piece. :sad20:

Magnumite

Ultimate Member
    Dec 17, 2007
    Harford County, Maryland
    ^^^ ditto. I have never received a subquality shipment from them. Empty space in shipping boxes has always been filled with large packing bladders. And I never use more than standard shipping.

" BTW, just saw them back in stock for 2x what I paid." And you could have had one by now. Just an observation.

Boom Boom

Jul 16, 2010
    Carroll
    ^^^ ditto. I have never received a subquality shipment from them. Empty space in shipping boxes has always been filled with large packing bladders. And I never use more than standard shipping.

With rare exception, I always upgrade to UPS. UPS has never done serious damage to a Midway box sent to me. The problem in the past two years has been stuff shipped to me thrown in the box with zero packing material. Worst damage so far has been broken plastic containers of 22LR ammo that were slamming against each other during shipment. Has happened two or three times. The ammo is fine but the containers are broken/shattered.

airsporter

Apr 28, 2011
    Western MD
    I'm an admitted fanboy of Midway. They were solidly in my favors until they started to use USPS via UPS for shipping. It took a lost package and a damaged one to finally give up on the cheapest shipping method. Shame to have to pay extra for a small package to arrive in one piece. :sad20:

If you mean SurePost I agree. It goes UPS to local USPO for final delivery. Doubles shipping time and potential for damage. Recently ordered a die set and it actually cost me $3 more than Priority mail and took 6 days!

Marauder

Revolver Addict
    Dec 14, 2010
    I have used both UPS,USPS and never have had a problem. I pick and choose for what I order.

BUFF7MM

☠Buff➐㎣☠
    Mar 4, 2009
    Garrett County
    I've pretty much written them off when they did away with my C&R discount, it wasn't much but it usually offset the shipping charge plus a little more on certain things.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Lloyd_Hansen

Latest threads

Top Bottom