• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • TI-tick

Ultimate Member
    BANNED!!!
    MDS Supporter
    Are geese starting to show up in good numbers on the eastern shore?
    What's good numbers?

There's been a flock of about 30 hanging around the dock where I'm at off Balls Creek and I see groups in the fields ranging from maybe 50 to 150. I talked to a hunter about 3 weeks ago who said something about cold in PA working the birds down to the shore. I don't think that's happened yet.

IDK about the hunting seasons but from the apparent blood on the dock from those local birds, at least a few got winged somehow.

This is in Talbot Co.

brianns

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 29, 2015
    Montgomery County
    We got Juncos, Cardinals, Tufted Titmice, Chickdees(Gray Capped or Carolina) a couple types of woodpeckers and a couple other species and gray squirrels that eat from our feeders currently.

Mr H

Banana'd
    What's good numbers?

There's been a flock of about 30 hanging around the dock where I'm at off Balls Creek and I see groups in the fields ranging from maybe 50 to 150. I talked to a hunter about 3 weeks ago who said something about cold in PA working the birds down to the shore. I don't think that's happened yet.

IDK about the hunting seasons but from the apparent blood on the dock from those local birds, at least a few got winged somehow.

This is in Talbot Co.
    We were on TI today briefly, and I was stunned at the lack of geese all along the drive across and down.

Even down at Black Walnut Point the usual mass of assorted water birds was mostly absent.

Everyone I speak to about this believes that there is something screwball about migration this year.

TI-tick

Ultimate Member
    BANNED!!!
    MDS Supporter
    We were on TI today briefly, and I was stunned at the lack of geese all along the drive across and down.

Even down at Black Walnut Point the usual mass of assorted water birds was mostly absent.

Everyone I speak to about this believes that there is something screwball about migration this year.
    Two of the current geeese overwintered at Balls Creek last year. Now they are back with what I reckon is one of their youngsters and a larger group following where the two feed. Interesting to watch.

Sea ducks are around but not many.

ChannelCat

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    In addition to the white-throated sparrows, juncos, and brown creeper, I forgot to mention that the ruby-crowned and golden-crown (pictured) kinglets have returned.
    IMG_5801_cropped.jpg

A couple weeks ago, we also had a Carolina wren with a really tiny tail; this bird had probably just molted.
    Wren with new tail_Small Image & cropped.jpg

Last edited:

smkranz

Certified Caveman
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 21, 2013
    Carroll County
    It was a gorgeous and warm sunny afternoon here to sit outside. I gazed up, and there had to be a hundred or more turkey buzzards gliding across the sky in groups of 10-20. I'm easily amused, and it was very cool to watch them ride the currents, there was barely a flap of a wing here and there. How the heck to they do that?

Last edited:

Jim12

Let Freedom Ring
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 30, 2013
    What's good numbers?

This is in Talbot Co.
    It seems pretty light to me, but I'm not counting them.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Mikeymike88

Latest threads

Top Bottom