• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Blaster229

God loves you, I don't.
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 14, 2010
    Glen Burnie
    Possibly because none, or very few of our legislators or their staff have any military experience at all and don't understand the difference/implications.

Really? So you actually think they have no idea about military reserves and just active duty and national guard? Out of the whole stinking GA that laid eyes on this it got past everyone? Comon.

RoboRay

Oct 16, 2013
    It seems that the law is using the broad, general definition of "active" (as in, currently associated with) rather than the narrow, specific definition that distinguishes between duty status (active duty or reservist) which many posters are applying.

Poor choice of wording in the bill. But they like making it vague.

Oct 21, 2008
    St Mary's
    (3) A MEMBER OR RETIRED MEMBER OF THE ARMED FORCES OF THE UNITED STATES OR, OR THE NATIONAL GUARD; OR

It makes no differentiation between active duty National Guard or National Guard that do weekend and 2 weeks/year.

So, if they have a valid military ID card, no HQL is required.

Really? So you actually think they have no idea about military reserves and just active duty and national guard? Out of the whole stinking GA that laid eyes on this it got past everyone? Comon.

DBlas got it right.
    Blaster nowhere does it say anything about active. It says MEMBER OR RETIRED MEMBER OF THE ARMED FORCES which means as a reservist they are still a member of the armed forces.

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    Also, when I was in the MDANG, I also held a commission in the USAFR.

If called up, it could be a state call up (disaster) or Federal (Iraq or Afghanistan for instance).

Mark K

Sep 29, 2013
    Colorado Springs, CO
    What? No more pink ID cards?

Only of you're "grey area" reserve retired, like I am for a few more months. That is, in reserve retired status with at least 20 good retirement years, but less than 60 years of age. No benefits except PX/commissary.

At age 60, you become just plain retired -- eligible for retired pay and Tricare, and get a "normal" CAC card.

Docster

Ultimate Member
    Jul 19, 2010
    Then why not just say "military id card"? Pretty sure an FFL will go with the letter of the law.
    So if someone presents a military id card, the ffl asks what duty status and they say army reserve, they should proceed? Oooooook.

I suspect because the law has to be specific or else the lawyers can twist it around-- having a 'military ID card' in legal terms just means I can give you mine-then you have a military ID card. Same thing with 'valid military ID'. Mine's valid (legitimate and not expired) so when you use it, you have a valid military ID.

The law as written specifically identifies individuals- A MEMBER OR RETIRED MEMBER OF THE ARMED FORCES OF THE UNITED STATES OR, OR THE NATIONAL GUARD;

the ID card, with it's photo and other info on it, proves that membership.

BTW, you don't get a CAC card when you retire, just a military ID card (at least from the AF)

dblas

Past President, MSI
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 6, 2011
    Then why not just say "military id card"? Pretty sure an FFL will go with the letter of the law.
    So if someone presents a military id card, the ffl asks what duty status and they say army reserve, they should proceed? Oooooook.

I know for a fact they have no clue, it was like pulling teeth to get them to include any exemptions for military at all let alone reserve/national guard. Trying to explain the difference between reserve, ready reserve and national guard would have taken too long and they just didn't care.

gmkoh

Feb 26, 2013
    Annapolis

Yes, Blaster, I really do think that. I have listened to their discussions and debate and are convinced they do not have a clue, and even if a few do understand, the others don't listen to them. Everything they (the majority do) is for perception and appearances. They want the perception of supporting the military, but don't really give a damn. Just as they want the perception of being tough on crime, but we have seen the lack of substance there.

ibang1

Ultimate Member
    Jan 12, 2011
    Perry Hall

Because there are Civilians and Contractors who are issued Military ID. It looks like any other Military ID. I'm pretty sure someone could get away showing their CAC to an FFL and doing a purchase.

Who is to stop someone on a drill weekend and buys a gun on the way home in uniform. I sure can't tell the difference if your Active, Reserve or National Guard.

Besides they do have Active Duty Reserve and Guard.

VAFarmboy

May 3, 2013
    Baltimore County
    Because there are Civilians and Contractors who are issued Military ID. It looks like any other Military ID. I'm pretty sure someone could get away showing their CAC to an FFL and doing a purchase.

Who is to stop someone on a drill weekend and buys a gun on the way home in uniform. I sure can't tell the difference if your Active, Reserve or National Guard.

Besides they do have Active Duty Reserve and Guard.

At one time I carried two CAC cards one Military and the other was a Contractor. The only difference was the wording on the CAC cards. On the contractor CAC there was a green strip and the words DoD Contractor, but they carried the same info in the Chip...go figure.

Tomcat

Formerly Known As HITWTOM
    May 7, 2012
    St.Mary's County
    Possibly because none, or very few of our legislators or their staff have any military experience at all and don't understand the difference/implications.

Not bashing anyone but you could say the same about many FFL's. I had one who wouldn't use my retired ID and told me that only exempted me from the training. Went to another, no problem at all.

As others have stated the law says a Member or Retired. It does not say Active Member. Unless something has changed over the years, when you enlist in the Military it is generally for 6 years, 4 active and 2 inactive. When you are inactive you don't have an ID card and get no benefits. Active or Ready reserves (1 weekend a month and 2 weeks during the year) have an ID card and limited privilages (commissary and PX)

ddeanjohnson

autodidact
    Aug 21, 2010
    As others have stated the law says a Member or Retired. It does not say Active Member.

Actually, the qualifier "active" does appear in a key subsection. At the beginning of the Handgun Qualification License section [Sec. 5-117.1 of the Public Safety Article], it says that the entire section "goes not apply to . . . a member or retired member of the Armed Forces of the United States or the National Guard . . ." That's in subsection A. But a little further on, in subsection C, it says, "A person may purchase, rent, or receive a handgun only if the person: . . . is an active or retired member of the Armed Forces of the United States or the National Guard and possesses a valid military identification card . . ." While these two subsections are not in perfect harmony, dealers (or other sellers) can be expected to look to subsection (C) for the more precise guidance on what type of credentials must be presented at the point of purchase or rental.

Mark K

Sep 29, 2013
    Colorado Springs, CO
    BTW, you don't get a CAC card when you retire, just a military ID card

Doh, you're right. When you're retired with full benefits (whether after 20+ active-duty years, or after 20+ good reserve years at age 60), you get a DD Form 2 (grey, I believe).

If you're still a grey-area reserve retiree like I am, you have a pink DD Form 2.

rambling_one

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 19, 2007
    Bowie, MD

Well, Senator Peters is an army combat veteran who still insists an AR-15 is an assault weapon.

Just saying. :innocent0

sheat36

May 24, 2012
    Westminster, MD
    That's correct, there is a Uniformed Services ID Card and it is different from the Common Access Card, but most people use the CAC for ID.

My son is an active duty officer and I'm not even sure he has the "other ID" card. (He may, but I've never seen it).

http://www.cac.mil/uniformed-services-id-card/

I'm not sure where this started but, I am an active duty Warrant Officer and I have ONE ID card and that is a CAC card. When I retire next spring, they will take my CAC and issue me a non-CAC retired ID card.

sheat36

May 24, 2012
    Westminster, MD
    To go a bit further, CAC is issued to military members and have certain record information uploaded to the imbedded chip. They are expensive and have to be updated every so often (last time mine was updated it took 45 minutes). Once you retire, you get the non-chip embedded Uniform Services ID, because they don't care about having to access anything about you, and they are cheaper. If you would like to see my CAC, you'll have to ask my wife for the permissions.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    bara4033

Latest threads

Top Bottom