• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Machodoc

Old Guy
    Jun 27, 2012
    Just South of Chuck County
    It seem as if a lot of us here are veterans, and it also appears that there are an inordinate number of USN vets here. Just saying ...

But my question is, of those who are former or active-duty military, how much do you think your military experience influenced the fact that you are now a C$R firearms collector? For myself, I was raised on USN and USMC bases, so military rifles and handguns were as much a part of my childhood as footballs and basketballs were part of the upbringing of off-base kids.

But I think what got me really into C&Rs was a deep desire to find, and be able to afford, a U.S.N. Colt '45 like the one that I carried on security watches. The closest I've gotten so far have been Argentine Navy Sistemas and Ballester-Molinas, but maybe some day ...

AC MkIII

Feb 18, 2011
    Calvert
    My father's service in WWII, Berlin Airlift, The Cold War, Korean War, travel around the world and being a civilian contractor in Vietnam '67-'68 all before I was born started my interest in history and C&R collecting. Well I was born in '67 while he was in Nam.

Alea Jacta Est

Extinguished member
    Certainly my service has become reflected in what I have "in the safe". While I don't see myself as a C&R collector, I have managed to put up a few relics.

I'd say the biggest influence my service has had on what I have had and what I have kept is rooted in logistic pragmatism. Mostly military calibers now and mostly weapons with good parts sourcing.

I too just had to have: an "M16" and a 1911 and a Remington 870 and an M1 because I was trained with each of them. Basic familiarity and muscle memory (not to mention fondness for them) certainly played a part in my acquisition scheme.

Good question...even if you suggest a preponderance of squids among us. I think of that as our community handicap.:lol2:

Tankfixr

Ultimate Member
    Feb 25, 2009
    Harford County
    Without a doubt, being a retired Marine, I'm drawn to the military C&R.

Can't help getting the question of "Where have you been and what have you done?" out of my mind during the first cleaning.

Augie

Ultimate Member
    Sep 30, 2007
    Central MD
    I did not serve but was a Navy brat during Vietnam and the Cold War. Dad went in the Navy at the end of WW2 and when he retired in the 70's he had attained the rank of LCDR, he was on the list for CDR but Mom said no, she was tired of packing up every 18 months or 3 years.
    We were stationed at Navy listening and intelligence bases such as Adak Alaska and Kamiseya Japan, he was heavily involved in radio intercept intelligence to the point that during crisis times he would have Marine guards assigned to him.
    That is where my love for US Military firearms and history came from, it was all around me as I was growing up, I can still remember skiing on Adak in the early 60's and going in abandoned Quonset Huts that still had supplies in them left from WW2, also areas of the island were off limits due to mine fields that had yet to be cleared.

CJB762

Jul 5, 2012
    For me the military weapons have more "intrigue". I did serve in the army but don't think it has a lot of influence on what I collect. When it comes to hunting rifles or non military weapons I'm an opportunistic collector. Right place, right time, and right price. When it comes to military I may pay a little more or go after a certain gun to add to the collection. I think it's more the story behind the weapons of war that draws me to them. Most I'll never know the real story behind them, but it's more interesting to think about.

Redcobra

Senior Shooter
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 10, 2010
    Near the Chesapeake Bay
    My rifle collection includes an M1, an M1 Carbine, and 1903A3.
    Trained with an M14.
    Wish I would have bought an M1A1 before My 2A rights were infringed.
    Guess I'll never have one now.

jkeiler

Mar 25, 2013
    Bowie
    For my military experience in C&R it would also be the 1911, though in a backward way. I qualified on one in the Army, but it was not my issue weapon, and frankly I didn't much like it. That probably had to do with the fact that it was the first pistol I'd ever shot, it was of course loud, kicked, and had bad sights. Add to that that all this was in the middle of winter on a snow covered range in Germany, and I was not a happy camper. Only many years later (and not that long ago) did I come to appreciate 1911s after I got into shooting and had a basis of comparison. That said, while I own a couple modern 1911s, I'm too cheap to spring for an authentic ex-GI.

A related experience, a couple "tours" as a kibbutz volunteer in Israel on the Syrian and Gaza borders, influenced me to buy my 1917 Danzig IDF Mauser. During my first stay there, which was associated with a youth group, our "counselor" was issued a Mauser (which I remember was dated 1918) and carried this around with him when we left the kibbutz to tour "dangerous" places.

Finally, I got my recent Steyr M95 at least in part because I believe that is what my grandfather carried in the Austrian Army in WWI. I don't know for sure, because I never really knew him, but we had an old photo of him in uniform (typical shot in those days mustache and cap) holding a rifle and bayonet at tall as he was. I assume it was a Steyr, and so in getting my recent Bulgarian M95 I feel in a sense I've honored him, although it is a carbine. And while my grandfather was short, he wasn't that short.

My dad by the way was a Navy guy (in WWII commanded a minesweeper) but never had any interest in guns, and after the war, no interest in boats either.

BlackBart

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Mar 20, 2007
    Conewago, York Co. Pa.
    Toted a Springfield all through Great Lakes and flipped them as part of the Drill Team. Stood watches and qualed with a Garand so them two are MUST haves for me. Also qualed and carried Rugers on occasion but no big deal on contemporary revolvers in 38 or 357.

"Assault rifles".... meh, don't do anything for me but might consider a AK type in the future only because of the amount of ammo I have and is available cheap.

Alphabrew

Binary male Lesbian
    Jan 27, 2013
    Woodbine
    I did not serve but was a Navy brat during Vietnam and the Cold War. Dad went in the Navy at the end of WW2 and when he retired in the 70's he had attained the rank of LCDR, he was on the list for CDR but Mom said no, she was tired of packing up every 18 months or 3 years.
    We were stationed at Navy listening and intelligence bases such as Adak Alaska and Kamiseya Japan, he was heavily involved in radio intercept intelligence to the point that during crisis times he would have Marine guards assigned to him.
    That is where my love for US Military firearms and history came from, it was all around me as I was growing up, I can still remember skiing on Adak in the early 60's and going in abandoned Quonset Huts that still had supplies in them left from WW2, also areas of the island were off limits due to mine fields that had yet to be cleared.

Damn, cool dad.

MilsurpDan

Ultimate Member
    Feb 1, 2012
    Frederick County
    Not in the military and probably never will be. The stories my grandfather told me about his father and uncles in WW2 played a big part in sparking my interest in surplus stuff. As well as other ancestors and their past military services and deeds.

One of my ancestor's muskets that he used to defend the Pennsylvania frontier from Tori and Native American attacks during the Revolution is on display in a museum in PA, while the British placed a bounty on his brother's head after he cast the first cannon in North America to supply the Continental Army.

This all played a big part in influencing my love of firearms and what I collect.

Last edited:

Alea Jacta Est

Extinguished member
    Not in the military and probably never will be. The stories my grandfather told me about his father and uncles in WW2 played a big part in spiking my interest in surplus stuff. As well as other ancestors and their past military services and deeds.

One of my ancestor's muskets that he used to defend the Pennsylvania frontier from Tori and Native American attacks during the Revolution is on display in a museum in PA, while the British placed a bounty on his brother's head after he cast the first cannon in North America to supply the Continental Army.

This all played a big part in influencing my love of firearms and what I collect.
    Great family history

JHE1956

Apr 16, 2013
    Annapolis
    My interest in military firearms predates my own service. I probably had the biggest arsenal of toy guns in our neighborhood when I ws a kid -- almost all military themed. This was in the mid sixties and it was not yet politically incorrect to play "Army" arounf the neighborhood or in nearby woods. Christmas 1963 I got one of the old Parris Cadet Training Rifles (M1903 look-alikes) and taught myself the Manual of Arms with it.

I would imagine it was my dad's service in the USMC in Korea (he was one of the "Chosin Few") that was the largest influence. That together with his mother's brother's USMC service on Peleliu and Okinawa during WWII.

Would love to pick up an early S&W Combat Masterpiece as my dad carried a "private purchase" one in Korea, along with his issue carbine.

Feb 28, 2013
    Toted a Springfield all through Great Lakes and flipped them as part of the Drill Team. Stood watches and qualed with a Garand so them two are MUST haves for me. Also qualed and carried Rugers on occasion but no big deal on contemporary revolvers in 38 or 357.

"Assault rifles".... meh, don't do anything for me but might consider a AK type in the future only because of the amount of ammo I have and is available cheap.

A Kalashnikov with wood furniture would look good in your collection next to it's American counterparts.:)

sig63

Jun 15, 2009
    FREED AT LAST!!!
    GREAT question.

Being a Sailor, heritage has always been near and dear to my heart (thus my conclusion as to the abundance of Navy Vets in here). I became intrigued by primary arms designed in the late 19th century, which went to battle in both World Wars with only minor design changes.

And there is something very intriguing about Eastern Europe in the 1960s and 1970s...when the cold war was raging and "concealed carry" had geopolitical implications. All those guns are neat too.

Ah hell, it's all crap. The damn things come to YOU...in the MAIL. That's the damn point!

Machodoc

Old Guy
    Jun 27, 2012
    GREAT question.

Being a Sailor, heritage has always been near and dear to my heart (thus my conclusion as to the abundance of Navy Vets in here). I became intrigued by primary arms designed in the late 19th century, which went to battle in both World Wars with only minor design changes.

And there is something very intriguing about Eastern Europe in the 1960s and 1970s...when the cold war was raging and "concealed carry" had geopolitical implications. All those guns are neat too.

Ah hell, it's all crap. The damn things come to YOU...in the MAIL. That's the damn point!

:lol::lol: THIS!

K-9COPPER

Aug 12, 2012
    Catonsville, MD
    I come from a family of immigrants who came to the states for a better life. Although I never served in any of our armed forces, my family has instilled an honor in this great country of which provided us everything we have through hard work. Both my parents came from two islands in Greece, one of which played an enormous role during WW2 . That island was Crete. With my grandfather growing older each day, his only memories are of when the Germans invaded his island. My passion for weapons comes from the pain and suffering experienced by my own family, from starvation to firing squads. So to never forget their loss and sacrifice, I have grown a deep respect for ones freedom to protect their life and liberties. On a side note, I was able to record my grandfathers recollection of the German invasion of Crete and efforts of the greek resistance.

Machodoc

Old Guy
    Jun 27, 2012
    Both my parents came from two islands in Greece, one of which played an enormous role during WW2 . That island was Crete. With my grandfather growing older each day, his only memories are of when the Germans invaded his island.

God bless him! Give him a hug for me, OK? I'm so glad that you were able to, and thoughtful enough to, record his experiences. It was a terrible time and place to be a young man. I'm glad that he was able to survive. Far too many didn't.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Pureblood

Latest threads

Top Bottom